Sanny

Paella experiment

post mortem

Wow, it tastes wonderful!! There's some of the required crust underneath (there's a name, but I forget what), but it could use some more. I could have left it in the 'baking' stage a little longer.

Funny to use the ceramic cooker as a stove, AND an oven. I got it going, and put the pan on, and sauteed the chicken and veggies on it. And then did the rice and stock on it. When it came to the last part, I shut the lid and baked. I'm so proud that I was able to keep the temp at the recommended 400 degrees! After I took the paella off, I shut the dampers, and put peppers on to roast them while the cooker was cooling down.

The kid's learning. :)

Recipe??

Oh my goodness, no. Not holding out on you. :)

Adapted from Paella!! by Penelope Casas

Marinade:

8 teaspoons dry sherry or dry white wine

4 tablespoons extra V olive oil

fresh ground black pepper to taste

6 tsp fresh thyme leaves (or 1.5 tsp dried)

1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

4 garlic cloves, crushed

Other stuff:

4 chicken thighs, skinned, and deboned

kosher salt

6 cups hot chicken broth

1/4 teaspoon crumbled thread saffron

4 teaspoons olive oil

6 minced garlic cloves

1 medium onion, chopped

2 green onions, chopped

2 medium bell peppers (I used yellow/orange ones)

1 medium tomato, chopped

3 cups arborio rice

1/4 cup frozen peas

handful of shrimp in shells

I used scissors to cut the meat off the chicken bones. Then tossed the bones into pot to make the chicken broth. Also added (later) some chicken stock paste

Cut chicken into 2 inch squares, and put into marinade for an hour at room temp. Ok, if you get twitchy at room temp marinade, put in frigerator for longer.

Take chicken out of marinade and let drain on paper towel (dunno why), and put the leftover marinade in the chicken stock. Add saffron to stock. Fish the crushed garlic cloves out (I forgot, and didn't matter to me). Recipe says salt the chicken pieces when they come out of marinade, but I didn't. I don't use much salt.

Assume you have the cooker fired up. I used low grill as a stove.

Put the paella pan (about 15 inches wide) on the grill, and add the olive oil. Heat it and put the chicken in. Cook, turning once, until not quite finished. Put in bowl and save for later.

Same pan, still on the grill, sautee the onion, green onion, peppers, garlic, and sautee until slightly soft. Add the tomato, and cook another minute or two.

Add the uncooked rice, and stir so the rice is coated with oil and veggie mixture. Pour in the hot broht an dbring to boil. Add peas. Taste whether it needs salt. Mine didn't.

Stir and boil and stir and simmer and stir until the rice isn't soupy anymore, but there's still liquid. That's about 5 minutes. Arrange chicken pieces over the rice, put some shrimp around it so it's pretty, and close the lid. Your goal is 400-450 for 10-12 minutes, until the rice is almost finished. I did 7, cause I was afraid the cooker was too hot, and I didn't get quite enough crusty on the bottom, although the dish is delicious.

Remove from heat, cover with foil, and put in a warm spot to rest (it'll keep cooking while it sits), until the rice is cooked to the way you like it. Probably 5-10 mins.

Hope you have a good crusty bit on the bottom! :)

Well, Deej, it didn't START as a recipe post, and that area says "recipes only please." So, I posted here. Only later saw the cooking area. And then there was a recipe, but it was already here and not there.

You tidy up, as you see fit.

I know, you only just started coming here and all - hehe - and just noticed the cooking pics section - hehe! :roll: I would tell you to considered yourself spanked - but I know you'll like it! hehe :butthead::smt079 I did kinda enjoy that - hehe.

But your still loved anyway!

-=Jasen=-

Deeeeeeeeeelicious!!!

Here's a shout out to Sanny for making this evening's dinner memorable!

Sanny lectured me on the finer points of Arborio rice and it's essential creaminess. To adapt for my diet I needed to make it with a brown rice... and happily I found Brown Short-Grain rice at the local whole foods... especially for "creamy dishes, such as paella". I also used chicken breast instead of thighs because that's what I had on hand, and no shrimp because I am a cheap bastard and decided to save the cash. hehe. The cooking times were somewhat longer due to the brown rice... essentially double those Sanny listed, but that was expected.

img8341cs3.jpg

Result: Sublime. :smt060 Saffron is a favorite of mine... so subtle and fragrant... everything came together so well... truly mouthwatering and succulent.

Sanny gets a big hug & kisses. :smt008

Um... dont tell my wife, 'k?

:oops:

Re: Deeeeeeeeeelicious!!!

Result: Sublime. :smt060 Saffron is a favorite of mine... so subtle and fragrant... everything came together so well... truly mouthwatering and succulent.

Go skinny-boy, you're cooking it up :D

I'm gonna do some beef-jerky today on the KK for the first time, I'll take some pics of the process. I bgt a bunch of ss racks off ebay from some restaurant going outta bidnez sales kinda company. I'm hoping they will do the trick.

If I can just keep the temp down I may be ok :shock:

Re: Deeeeeeeeeelicious!!!

Here's a shout out to Sanny for making this evening's dinner memorable!...Result: Sublime. :smt060 Saffron is a favorite of mine... so subtle and fragrant... everything came together so well... truly mouthwatering and succulent.

Well, if The Lovely Mrs. Majestik had some of the paella, I bet she knows about the hugs and kisses already. :) It looks WONDERFUL, M! Well done. I can almost smell it, it looks so good. :smt060

tried again

I tried the paella again, only as risotto, rather than paella. In dutch oven on the stove, rather than paella pan in cooker. Finished in the oven. Ok, I admit it. An indoor recipe.

This time I cut the chicken into smaller pieces, as Majestik did. MUCH less rubbery pieces, and the marinade got into it sooner than an hour. Good variation. Also, I didn't have fresh tomatoes, so I used sun dried, chopped small. Also excellent. Added with the onions and garlic in the saute stage. Skipped the bell peppers, but added one shot of chinese hot oil to the marinade. Topped with the chicken and broc. florettes. No shrimp this time. Yup, good choice.

Made it for the snooks, whom I've decided to hang onto for now, instead of waiting for Curly's cousin to get out. Samantha, he's all yours!