Fish Taco

Okay, I'm in.

Forked over the big bucks yesterday. Hope you guys are not full of...well let's just say that I hope the KK cooks as good as you guys say it does. :D

Dennis, says there are some "must haves".

The thermometer is for checking the meat internal temp, i guess?

What's the purpose for the neoprene gloves?

Also, under what circumstances would one don the welding gloves?

Bob

Re: Okay, I'm in.

Forked over the big bucks yesterday. Hope you guys are not full of...well let's just say that I hope the KK cooks as good as you guys say it does. :D

Bob

Are we allowed to say "good food" and "fish taco" in the same post?! :shock:

Welome aboard and if you have not eaten food off of a ceramic cooker then I think you might be in for a surprise. I just got my cooker in November and I am amazed how moist and tastey the food is, and it is great fun to share!

As far as temperature probe, yes, you do want to know the meat temp on a lot of types of cooks. In my opinion, a great cook boils down to little more than cooker temp management and meat temp management. Everything else is icing on the cake. But I'll let the pros make the final judgement on that.

The gloves can come in handy when parts of the cooker get hot, mostly the grill surface when doing low and slow, but also the handle and damper when doing high temp cooks. At 600 degrees plus, you don't want to touch any metal without gloves.

The welding gloves are good for changing your grate levels when the fire is too hot for regular hot gloves.

Congrats on your new KK! Happy cooking. :smt006

Re: Okay, I'm in.

Bob

Welcome to the forum!

Are you talking about the Tru-Tel thermometer that comes with the grill? If so, that is for telling you grills internal temperature. For meat temps you would want to get a remote type (maverick or similar). Or be one of us lazy folks and get a grill controller such as a Guru or Stoker.

You can could just probably just pick one type of gloves or the other, the welders gloves have way better dexterity. Though I think it is either silicone or welders as I don't think neoprene gloves are extremely temp resistant (unless your wanting them for food prep maybe??).

Anyway, pick up a couple of boston butts to have when your grill arrives! Get yourself some good lump charcoal and fire away any questions you have at us!

-=Jasen=-

welcome fishtaco! don't know what your background is with bbq/grilling, but i think you're in for a big treat! if you haven't experienced trying to do an overnite cook on a steel pit, or tried to make real pulled pork or pork ribs, you will be amazed how easy this cooker makes it.

it makes a body lazy! once you figure out how to set your drafts, there's no babysitting required. when i do ribs, i only open the lid 3 times; once to put the ribs on, once at around 5 hrs, to check if they're done, and once to pull them off. sometimes, if i forget, only twice :wink:

what did you get?

Yep, it's a whole new world of backyard bbq when you go ceramic. Your friends and family are gonna love you for real now.

http://www.galeton.com/item_group.asp?GroupID=147&CategoryID=15

This may be the Neo-something-nuther you mean with the gloves. I have welder gloves but a lot of folks use these cause they clean up nicely...unlike the leather welder gloves.

Good Fish Tacos...

Actually, they are really good eats dude! Kinda funny that topic came up since I have really been into making them lately. Even got a few recipes from Majestic - thanks bud!

-=Jasen=-

Ok. I believe you.. Are there some recipes to share!

Re: Good Fish Tacos...

Actually, they are really good eats dude! Kinda funny that topic came up since I have really been into making them lately. Even got a few recipes from Majestic - thanks bud!

-=Jasen=-

Ok. I believe you.. Are there some recipes to share!

I will post you one in the recipe section in a bit.

-=Jasen=-

Thanks for all the great responses to my questions.

I've been grilling on a Webber for about 30 years. Used to do slow indirect cooks but got tired of the fire going out and too much tending so I've sort of gone in the direction of searing...like fish for tacos. I am jacked up about getting back into butts, roasts, ribs, etc.

Okay, for the questions...sounds like the welders gloves are for handling the grill and reaching down into the cooker when it's hot...so long ones would be best. The other neoprene gloves...I guess they would be for pulling/handling meat and maybe less heat intensive activities like turning steaks when cooking hot stuff. I'm going to wait on the guru until I learn to operate the grill manually. But, I think I'll go ahead and order the rotisserie and do some yard birds.

Bob