tcoliver

Burner Flame

Hey DJ, or anyone else. After I drilled out the burner hole I now am getting a large yellow flame. I have noticed on my last few pizza cooks where I use gas only I am getting black soot on the pizza and I think this is attributed not getting a good blue flame. So what does it mean when you get a yellow flame, too much oxygen or too much gas? And how can I correct this if possible. Thanks.

The key question is "was the flame ever blue?"

If it was before you drilled it, then you will need a smaller orafice, adjustable regulator, or some other way to get a leaner fuel:air mix.

If the flame was once blue after your drilling, then you likely have spiders, or ash or something blocking your air intake.

I dont have Dennis' burner here, so I dont know if it is as simple as getting a new part, or if you would have to fix what you have. If you had to fix it, you may be able to braze it and redrill a smaller hole. You may try something simple like just opening the draft door a bit to get more air in there?

You say you drilled it to get more heat, just curious - how much heat were you getting from it? From Dennis' new drying process post, it looks like the burners are capable of 800*

Bury the needle way past 800º

You say you drilled it to get more heat, just curious - how much heat were you getting from it? From Dennis' new drying process post, it looks like the burners are capable of 800*

With no modification at all, I can bury the needle way past 800º with a regulator on a LPG tank.

I did not pay much attention to the flame quality or color but will check it out on Tuesday, Monday is a national holiday.

:lol::lol:

Even with the hole drilled out I can only get about 400 degrees. Dennis what type of regulator are you using? I think mine is 5 psi (maybe 10 psi), non adjustable. The soot only started after I drilled out the hole. I never really had a good blue flame but I think I just have a lot MORE flame now and it is producing a lot MORE soot. Maybe I need a better regulator.

This can easily bury the needle

I have these burners on a large LPG tank with a adjustable volume regulator. My guess is that the pressure on all LPG tanks are the same. Here it is turned up real high. This can easily bury the needle on the 800º TelTru, maybe 1,000º or more.

Burner.jpg

BurnerHigh.jpg

Now that's cookin' with GAS!

:lol::lol:

Unless we are smelting ore..

I've received a PM that I'm probably pushing about 200,000 to 300,000 btu with my burner at this setting. Basically pumping a low pressure burner with a high pressure gas regulator. All is fine till the flame goes out, then you have what would be a dangerous situation. They also said they would be scared as hell to pump that much gas into an enclosed space.

We don't turn the burners up that high inside the Komodos.. Unless we are smelting ore..

(which voids your warranty;-)

PLEASE NOTE, I DO NOT IN ANY WAY RECOMMEND USING YOUR BURNER THIS WAY...

That was just so Firemonkey could see flame color and what's possible..

KIDS, MOMS AND DADS..

PLEASE DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME..

:smt074:smt074:smt074:smt074

Here is my burner flame. I guess this is the difference between a high pressure and a low pressure regulator. DJ suggested using lava rocks in the coal bowl. I will try that and see if I can get rid of the soot. I want to reiterate this only happened after I drilled out the hole in the valve.

dsc01860sv0.th.jpg

dsc01861ef6.th.jpg

dsc01859vt0.th.jpg

Update

Ok, I finally revived my burner, I purchased a new adjustable high pressure regulator and used the original orifice. My results are similiar to Dennis'. And yes I could pin the needle if I so desired. I purchased an adjustable 0-20 psi regulator from Tejas Smokers however this was probably overkill and I could have used a 10 psi regulator. I have had to turn down this regulator as I don't want to have an accident. At full open this thing could heat a house. DJ you were right in you analysis that this would produce a LOT of fuel. I promise to be carefull. I wouldn't suggest this for the average cooker but I am now satisfied and I cooked a pizza tonight with no soot. Thanks deej for your help.

img006ip7.th.jpg