leejp

How many Cookers/Grills do you have?

I had a MexKamado #7 but now have a OTB Supreme on order (actually in transit... hope to see it soon!). I don't even have the cooker yet but I am actually thinking that I need another grill/cooker.

With the Supreme doing a low and slow for dinner, I still need something I can fire up quickly to do burgers/dogs for the kids for lunch and side dishes/other for dinner. Many folks over at MexKamado had several cookers, this is an option save for the fact that my wife never went near my Kamado (too complicated, go figure...) and I won't go propane so I'm thinking something like the Weber performer (it's a charcoal grill with a propane cartridge for lighting the coals only... brilliant!). If I can get several cooks out of 1 load of coals like the K's this might be a happy compromise.

It looks like the R&D team's got a hefty load for 06. But I have asked Dennis via eMail for a similar lighting feature (as the performer)... essentially a wide flame tip blowtorch with a timed shutoff and a piezoelectric starter that goes in place of the bottom draft door or in the guru port. Hint... Dennis... Hint...

Wow, what a marketing scam....I think.

Weber engineers do it again. Take what is for all intents and purposes a $50 round barbie, add a gizzy that's takes a propane bottle to light the charcoal (off that little rectangular tabletop barbie) add a little more metal and a rubbermaid bucket and viola! a $300 thing to sell.

I know you're a smart guy, you're buying a Komodo Kamado, but the Weber thing is almost a scam. If you think about it, it's just a $300 lighting chimney with a burner to start instead of paper.

Just another guys thoughts.............

Re: Wow, what a marketing scam....I think.

Weber engineers do it again. Take what is for all intents and purposes a $50 round barbie, add a gizzy that's takes a propane bottle to light the charcoal (off that little rectangular tabletop barbie) add a little more metal and a rubbermaid bucket and viola! a $300 thing to sell.

I know you're a smart guy, you're buying a Komodo Kamado, but the Weber thing is almost a scam. If you think about it, it's just a $300 lighting chimney with a burner to start instead of paper.

Just another guys thoughts.............

Yes I agree the pricing for this (and just about ALL Weber products) is ridiculous expensive. But the "gizzy" as far as I can tell is a Weber exclusive. I can't believe that no one else has it... Soooo simple! The Weber Engineers have indeed built a better mousetrap so they can charge what the market will bear (with some convincing from their marketing).

I'm willing to pay the high $$$ for convenience especially if it's simple enough so that my wife is WILLING (she's certainly capable of using a chimney starter) to use it. I'm not committed in any way to purchasing the Weber at the moment and I have an open mind... so suggest an alternate that'll work for my wife, my parents, guests... anyone who doesn't want to futz with a chimney starter.

I love the idea

I love the idea of being to have a way to easily slide a torch into a built in tube and be able to light the charcoal in place.

Maybe another faceplate on the other side.. There are no images of their "Touch-N-Go Propane Ignition" system online.

I think I saw this Weber at the ACE Hardware here in Indonesia.. Maybe gotta go take a good peek for "inspiration".

I use a propane bottle to light my chimney starter... and a hair drier to make it roar ;-)

Went back to bed and then got a flash of inspration...

What about a draft door modified to hold a torch, a propane bottle and a Peizo electric start button...

After coals are lit.. slide it out, slide in your low airlfow control draft door and voila, easy cookin'

The peizo would not get fried as it does not stay in the belly of the beast..

Comments please...

:wink:

Re: Ok, flash............

One of those is in my plumbing tool kit and I have used it to light coals before. It works but you have to stand there with it for a minute or two. I like it better than the chimney starter (hate the flying ashes even 1 sheet of newspaper produces).

Ideally... it should be a compact unit without a hose with a timer dial that keeps the torch on a few minutes after ignition.

Of course some of us are less patient (scroll down 1/2 way)...

http://www.doeblitz.net/ghg/

Re: How many Cookers/Grills do you have?

I had a MexKamado #7 but now have a OTB Supreme on order (actually in transit... hope to see it soon!). I don't even have the cooker yet but I am actually thinking that I need another grill/cooker.

With the Supreme doing a low and slow for dinner, I still need something I can fire up quickly to do burgers/dogs for the kids for lunch and side dishes/other for dinner. Many folks over at MexKamado had several cookers, this is an option save for the fact that my wife never went near my Kamado (too complicated, go figure...) and I won't go propane so I'm thinking something like the Weber performer (it's a charcoal grill with a propane cartridge for lighting the coals only... brilliant!). If I can get several cooks out of 1 load of coals like the K's this might be a happy compromise.

It looks like the R&D team's got a hefty load for 06. But I have asked Dennis via eMail for a similar lighting feature (as the performer)... essentially a wide flame tip blowtorch with a timed shutoff and a piezoelectric starter that goes in place of the bottom draft door or in the guru port. Hint... Dennis... Hint...

Do the new performers have a timed shutoff?

-- Songdog

Re: How many cookers...

I'm about to have ONE ceramic cooker! Delivery tomorrow. All supplies (except the meat from Costco) are in house, and I'm ready to Q! Pinchin some butt without gettin slapped!

:)

You wouldn't get hit here - hehe! :wink: I hope your first cook goes great (oh yeah, and the rest of them)! :lol: Just keep it low and slow! 8)

-=Jasen=-

'Round these parts' date=' I only get upset when you pinch the bark off. Any other butts are fair game.[/quote']Sorry, but that's exactly what I had in mind! :) Think I can convince the gentleman respectfully known as The Squeeze that Q is really health food? He has this THING about eating healthy. :roll: Like steamed chicken and broc. is really "chinese food." Feh! :wink: