Fish Taco

Gas line attachment problem

Went to the Home Depot for a gas line & regulator to connect the tank to the fitting for the KK gas attachment. Picked up their only one...made by Char Broil and the line (female) would not fit onto the flared bolt male of the attachment (the female line fitting was not big enough). So I go over to the brass section of HD and find a 3/8" flare fitting (male) and it screws right on to the Char Broil connection. So, okay, I try a 1/2" female on my KK attacmment and it swallows it.

So, this morning, I go to my bottled gas compony and ask what gives...do they have a hose that fits. Yes. They bring out a 3/8" and say it should fit...but it does not. Could it be metric? Never seen one. Are the threads messed up? No, it should go on but it doesn't. Maybe they are different sizes.

So, I go to the local hardware store. The guy tries a 3/8 and says it should work...it doesn't. Tries the half...it swallows the KK. Looks at the threads...says they loook okay. Pulls out a 3/8" male flare and compares it to my KK male. The KK is...bigger. He says it must be metric. Calls around...even the auto parts store...can't find a flared metric in 3/8".

So, I go to the office and google metric flare nuts on internet...look at a couple of sites...no metric flare nuts there.

I'm tapped out...any suggestions???

Re: Gas line attachment problem

Went to the Home Depot for a gas line & regulator to connect the tank to the fitting for the KK gas attachment. Picked up their only one...made by Char Broil and the line (female) would not fit onto the flared bolt male of the attachment (the female line fitting was not big enough). So I go over to the brass section of HD and find a 3/8" flare fitting (male) and it screws right on to the Char Broil connection. So, okay, I try a 1/2" female on my KK attacmment and it swallows it.

So, this morning, I go to my bottled gas compony and ask what gives...do they have a hose that fits. Yes. They bring out a 3/8" and say it should fit...but it does not. Could it be metric? Never seen one. Are the threads messed up? No, it should go on but it doesn't. Maybe they are different sizes.

So, I go to the local hardware store. The guy tries a 3/8 and says it should work...it doesn't. Tries the half...it swallows the KK. Looks at the threads...says they loook okay. Pulls out a 3/8" male flare and compares it to my KK male. The KK is...bigger. He says it must be metric. Calls around...even the auto parts store...can't find a flared metric in 3/8".

So, I go to the office and google metric flare nuts on internet...look at a couple of sites...no metric flare nuts there.

I'm tapped out...any suggestions???

Dude,

You're in Alabama...whataya expect. Even the internet there is kinda backwards ain't it? (BTW, I'm in South Carolina, so I reckon can make fun of southern states.)

Just kidding, I'm sure there will be help soon. I don't have gas on my KK so I'm just here for the company.

Sigh...

You Georgia and Carolina boys are just glad you've got Alabama to throw down on :x ...we're thankful for Mississippi, Lousiana and Arkansas. :wink:

By the way, I lived in GA a few years, and there's not a dimes worth of difference once you get outside of Atlanta (which I used to like...but I digress). If anything, your run of the mill Georgian who is always making Alabama jokes has no room to talk. For a lot of them, it was international travel to go out of state. :lol:

Maybe someone will actually help me with the gas coupling. :wink:

They were machined..

Those brass L fittings were made up by a machine shop here.. I've sold enough that I know that the first batch must have been ok. But I don't have a hose and they might have Fçµk?d it up...

I'll run over to ACE hardware and buy a US bottle and hose.

I'm sorry to have run you all over town..

:wink::wink:

Re: Sigh...

You Georgia and Carolina boys are just glad you've got Alabama to throw down on :x ...we're thankful for Mississippi, Lousiana and Arkansas. :wink:

By the way, I lived in GA a few years, and there's not a dimes worth of difference once you get outside of Atlanta (which I used to like...but I digress). If anything, your run of the mill Georgian who is always making Alabama jokes has no room to talk. For a lot of them, it was international travel to go out of state. :lol:

Maybe someone will actually help me with the gas coupling. :wink:

Yeah, I lived in N. Atlanta (Dunwoody and Alpharetta) for 10 years, so I know about them Georgians too.

What size is it supposed to be?

On both ends. If the large end is supposed to be 3/8ths" then your QC definitely got out of whack on that batch.

And the small end of the "L" is supposed to be what??? I decided to try to buy a standard 3/8ths 90 and a reducer it to fit the threaded hole in the flame spreader. But I couldn't find anything to fit that either.

Fortunately, Dennis, one of the beauties of living in a small town is that going all over town is not very far. 8)

Also, once you've struck out...you know it. :lol:

Re: What size is it supposed to be? Good Question..

On both ends. If the large end is supposed to be 3/8ths" then your QC definitely got out of whack on that batch.

My QC gals could only eyeball them as we don't have a female connector. That's why I said, I need to go to ACE Hardware.. (any excuse will do..I love hardware stores;) and get a hose from their Webber display..

This is a long Holiday weekend, one of 12 "paid holidays" per year here. :smt022 so I can't go check right away..

I'll get to the bottom of the mystery thread sizes and post the information. Maybe someone over there Stateside can find a source for a proper fitting and I won't have to machine them..

Just another bump in the road to building a better KK...

Thanks for your help as always

:wink::wink:

Been trying to help you with the state side source but...

I still don't know what the sizes are supposed to be. :?

Hey, this gas stuff is way over my head. I usually work with calculator, pad and pencil...uh...better add a fork, a knife and a spoon. :)

I really don't want to blow up myself, my new KK, the tank, or my new KK or any combination...but 'specially not my new KK. :D

Don't need no stinking gas to cook anyway.

Re: Been trying to help you with the state side source but..

Don't need no stinking gas to cook anyway.

Exactly! I would just use a single sheet of newspaper with some vegetable oil on it or spray some PAM on it. Crumple it up and pile lump around it. This will easily light your coal to get you cooking. After the Holiday Dennis will surely square you away.

Joe

A few comments:

- Home Depot is not the best place to go for BBQ parts

- This is one time that the local BBQ store can help you very easily. I carried in my burner and had them hook everything up (including swapping the burner to natural gas)

- Do NOT try to BBQ by lighting your coals with the propane burner. It will start too much of your lump and it will be very difficult to keep the temps low (below 280 or so). I use the gas for lighting the coals when I'm cooking over 300 (chicken, pizza, steaks, etc.) or for when I want to cook a quick burger or hot dog. For BBQ I light a few coals with a chimney (which could be over your burner) and use the minion method.

Me too Sanny - thats all I use the gas for, and also the only way i light the grill.

I have heard others say that having lit coals on the bottom causes high temps. But as airtight as a KK is, I dont see it making a difference if you burn from the top or bottom?

I am just careful not to overshoot my temp with the gas in place or I will have to wait for the temp to come back down while choking out the fire. If your worried about it, just light a few coals, then fill the rest of the basket?

A few comments:

- Home Depot is not the best place to go for BBQ parts

- This is one time that the local BBQ store can help you very easily. I carried in my burner and had them hook everything up (including swapping the burner to natural gas)

- Do NOT try to BBQ by lighting your coals with the propane burner. It will start too much of your lump and it will be very difficult to keep the temps low (below 280 or so). I use the gas for lighting the coals when I'm cooking over 300 (chicken, pizza, steaks, etc.) or for when I want to cook a quick burger or hot dog. For BBQ I light a few coals with a chimney (which could be over your burner) and use the minion method.

If you know what you are looking for, Home Depot is just fine (and actually carry way more gas fittings than a lot of specialty stores). But of course I agree with the above assessment if you need their help as your not gonna get much at Lowes or Home Depot.

As far as low and slow lighting with the gas burner. Only thing I can figure is maybe your letting it run too long. I never had problems using a propane burner to light charcoal for a low and slow. Start it, then cut it off after 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. For mid range, 3 minutes and for high temps use 5 minutes. But those were just the numbers I used.

-=Jasen=-

Got the size info

I have tracked down the exact thread size and type..

The threaded hole in the valve is a 1/8" BSP tapered thread.

DJ can you steer me to a 90º with this thread on one side and the standard 3/8" gas connection on the other?

Or an adaptor with this 1/8" BSP tapered male thread that can connect to the standard 3/8 gas connector?

They don't have them at all here...

Re: Got the size info

I have tracked down the exact thread size and type..

The threaded hole in the valve is a 1/8" BSP tapered thread.

DJ can you steer me to a 90º with this thread on one side and the standard 3/8" gas connection on the other?

Or an adaptor with this 1/8" BSP tapered male thread that can connect to the standard 3/8 gas connector?

They don't have them at all here...

Well, that explains why people are having trouble. I seriously doubt anyone is going to have a local supplier that carries British Standard Pipe Taper (BSPT). Everything in the US is National Pipe Thread (NPT). According to anything I can find on the Internet, the two are completely incompatible, but in the smaller size ranges, are very close. That would explain why people got the 1/8" NPT to fit, but took some effort.

I am not having a huge amount of luck finding the fitting you want, but here is a simple BSP to NPT adapter that could thread into your valve and then have a flare fitting thread into it.

http://www.metricmcc.com/catalog/Ch8/8-850.pdf

-=Jasen=-

Ok, this company looks promising to have the fitting you are looking for. Check out the bottom right fitting.

http://www.adaptall.com/MetricConversion-steel-pg2.htm

Okay, the fog is finally beginning to lift. :roll:

I sent DJ a picture of the one shipped b/c nobody seemed to understand my trouble. Both ends were non-standard here in the US. He may be able to dig it up somewhere if that would help. I might also, but it's on my other computer.

The 1/8" bsp male end screws into the valve...so, unless you can find a replacement for the whole elbow, you don't really want to fool with that end, do you?

Okay, the fog is finally beginning to lift. :roll:

I sent DJ a picture of the one shipped b/c nobody seemed to understand my trouble. Both ends were non-standard here in the US. He may be able to dig it up somewhere if that would help. I might also, but it's on my other computer.

The 1/8" bsp male end screws into the valve...so, unless you can find a replacement for the whole elbow, you don't really want to fool with that end, do you?

I think the second link in my post above may solve your issue.

I probably should not even post this, but for those of you handy with tools, it seems an easier solution might be to re-tap the hole. Everything I have read indicated that they are very close in the smaller pipe range. Enough so that chasing a 1/8 NPT tap might do the trick (or re-tap to 1/4 NPT if need be). I am completely replacing the valve on mine, but as soon as all my grill stuff is in, I'll be sure to check out all scenarios and post for everyone. If it works out, maybe Dennis can come up with an arrangement for me to take care of the fittings/re-tapping for those whom need it.

-=Jasen=-

Re: Got the size info

Well, that explains why people are having trouble. I seriously doubt anyone is going to have a local supplier that carries British Standard Pipe Taper (BSPT). Everything in the US is National Pipe Thread (NPT). According to anything I can find on the Internet, the two are completely incompatible, but in the smaller size ranges, are very close. That would explain why people got the 1/8" NPT to fit, but took some effort.

Looks like I'll luck out (in Oz) since all of our fittings are based on the British Standards so my gas connectors should fit!