Fish Taco

Gas line attachment problem

Re: Should I just re-tap them here to to 1/4 NPT?

Should I just re-tap them here to to 1/4 NPT?

Is that the best size for a 90º with the standard 3/8 flare tip?

That would make it a very common/easy to find fitting for people in the US. Any Lowes, Home Depot or general hardware store would carry that.

Dennis, I suggest you wait till my gas parts get in so I can tell you if the 1/8" BSP can just be chased with a 1/8" NPT instead as this would be a simpler operation. Everyone is telling me it is very close and some have 'made' them fit without problems it seems.

Just a little FYI for anyone wanting to do this. A 7/16" drill is recommended for a 1/4" NPT tap. I highly recommend a drill press for this entire job as any wobbling will cause loose threads (also this allows for a depth gauge). Also use the drill press for the tapping process too. It keeps the tap perfectly straight for you (since most of us do not have a metal lathe). It is a good idea to remove the valve stem & plug while performing this and another suggestion is to pack the bottom of the opening you are drilling/tapping with a rag or paper towel. This prevents metal chips from getting in the seat and into the rest of the body. Being it is brass, this should be a fairly easy process. I am more than willing to help anyone out that wants to do it, just let me know.

-=Jasen=-

Dennis, I suggest you wait till my gas parts get in so I can tell you if the 1/8" BSP can just be chased with a 1/8" NPT instead as this would be a simpler operation. Everyone is telling me it is very close and some have 'made' them fit without problems it seems.

-=Jasen=-

You are my hero! (again)

:wink::wink:

-=Jasen=-

You are my hero! (again)

:wink::wink:

That was a hint that I am dying for my grill to get here!!!

-=Jasen=-

Quick update on this; the existing valve that comes with the burner does not have enough thread depth to re-tap to 1/8" NPT like I had originally hoped. It might be possible to use a specific bottoming tap, but being there are only about 3 threads in the valve body, I highly recommend not doing it. The only solution I can see using the existing valve is the thread converting adapter mentioned earlier in this thread.

-=Jasen=-