Bobkat

I'm in...and my KK is on the way!

Hello all,

Been 'lurking' and learning on this forum for some time. Just put some $ down w/ Dennis on my KK about 10 mins. ago! :smt004 Takes about a week to arrive right? :smt002

Live down here on the water in St. Pete FL. Love to fish offshore and do as much cooking outside as possible. Been looking for the 'holy grail' of devices to cook on and think I must have tried everything from a Hibachi to this offset fire box thing that looks like a choo choo train currently in the back yard. I've never figured out how to make low and slow work consisitently...think I may have found the answer.

Just want to thank a couple of people who answered my questions while I was doing my research on "another" forum. These people (and there were quite a few) steered me away from what I now know would have been a huge mistake...eeek! Some real horror stories over 'there'. So a sincere thank you to those who took the time to 'back channel' the info. BEFORE I made the mistake. To their credit, these people offered up a couple of alternatives and after studying the KK, no contest...best, highest quality and most recommended option I could find. Can't wait to see mine (Don't worry, I'll be patient Dennis) :smt069

Looking forward to learning from the considerable knowledge that exists up here on the forum.

Hello! Welcome to the forum. We all know you made the right choice and you are on your way to the most consistent cooker you have ever experienced! I too have tried many different cookers from offsets to a Traeger pellet feed; but it was not until ceramics did I learn there really was one grill that could handle low/slow as well as high temps.

Again, welcome aboard and feel free to ask any questions or post some fishing pics - hehe.

-=Jasen=-

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I guessing they are putting the first box of tiles on right now...I can hope can't I? We got what I believe is a new color "Olive Grey", anyone seen it?

Got my first question for you guys. What is the best fuel to use? I hear lump charcoal (but I'm not sure I know exactly what that is :oops: ) I typically use regular charcoal with hard wood chunks for flavor. But on this forum I've seen a number of exotic materials mentioned. I've never even seen anything but Kingsford et al at the store. Do I need to order something via the Net? tks!

Gotcha - so is 'lump' all hardwood in its composition?

Oh - lemme try the fish pics again. The first is a Gag Grouper and the second is a Mangrove Snapper (the Snapper was taken about 100 miles offshore in the Florida Middle Grounds - it so far out there that we ofter run into boats from LA!)

October2006001.jpg

WhopperSnapMay_06.jpg

Man, that's some great looking fishing there. :D

I was in Guantanamo Bay Cuba for a year back in the mid 70's and this friend had a snapper fish fry every Friday night and we were all invited. None of em ever looked like that though, they were all pretty small. I reckon he was boat fishing (never went with him) but we couldn't venture out very far from land...especially on the edges near Cuba or there would be heck to pay. There were even underwater signs for the scuba divers saying that you better turn back lest you get arrested. :shock:

Welcome aboard, Bobkat. Pleased to meetcha.

Oh - lemme try the fish pics again. The first is a Gag Grouper ...

October2006001.jpg

a Gag grouper? No wonder it's gagging... it tried to deep throat the world's largest bratwurst! Seriously... what is that thing? A lure? Surely it's not a tongue.

A very keen eye Gerard, this specimen is a fine example of the male of the species. Studies have shown that reef fish when brought up from depths greater than 90ft to sea level, actually get aroused on the way up. :shock: You see, Grouper spawn at the surface in the Spring time and on a full moon. By heading for the surface (albeit against his will) this time of year...we'll, lets just say he thought there was a little 'romance' waiting at the end of his vertical trip. Unfortunately for him, it was only a blind date with our cooler. :smt007 YUM

Either that or he was brought up to the surface too fast and the pressure differential causes the stomach to 'pop out'...but it is certainly one of the two.

Hey Bobkat, welcome aboard. You will be amazed by your cooker when it arrives.

As for your question about lump charcoal, you have a pretty good source in your general vicinity. There is an outdoor kitchen store about 3-4 blocks off of Dale Mabry in Tampa that stocks lump charcoal and a variety of smoke woods year round.

They are a little more expensive, but its there whenever you need it.

...Studies have shown that reef fish when brought up from depths greater than 90ft to sea level' date=' actually get [b']aroused on the way up...

Assuming that is true, and let's say I'm very skeptical, I still don't know of any erectile tissue in the throat, well, except in ***THAT*** movie oh so long ago, and that wasn't a fish, well, errr, never mind.

Either that or he was brought up to the surface too fast and the pressure differential causes the stomach to 'pop out'...but it is certainly one of the two.

That's just downright repugnant. Apparently that's pretty common. Didn't know anything about that since most bream and crappie are at about 5 - 10' when I hook em. Glad they don't do that.

Welcome,

You made the right decision and went with the best product. Even if you ordered it from the other company, you would be lucky to see it by Christmas and it probably would be the wrong color, size and not work. I started there but got so frustrated and I finally found KK by mistake which proved to be a huge winner and got the grill in no time.

Enjoy the ceramic.... It is great. You have the best show on tv. CSI Miami is one awesome show. :smt027