Central Pork

KK comes to NYC

The Setup

Leejp, actually its a brownstone with a reasonable backyard - we've been using a BGE back there without complaint but we do feel compelled to spread goodwill periodically by sharing some que with the neighbors from time to time. I'll send pictures as soon as I get a chance - is there a thread on this topic somewhere?

Anyway, drunk J, you are right if necessary removing the door would probably give another inch or so of room, although I don't think we will need it if I can muster enough help. Luckily, the neighboring building has a utility hallway that goes straight from the curb all the way to the rear, where the door to our garden is. The only hard part will be getting onto the curb and then through that door. It'll be a fun project - lots of pics promised.

Hi Central Pork,

Quick question for you from an Upstater ( Webster, NY near Rochester and Lake Ontario ). Does NY City have some sort of prohibition against outside barbecues? You have obviously been grilling. Do you have a balcony or do you have a deck?

We went from a 10 inch snowstorm to 80 degrees F in 8 days. Threw my grilling off a bit.

Dr. A

Que in NYC

Not sure how much detail you are looking for here, but in terms of NYC que-ing, you are allowed to have a barbecue on a residential property provided there is no combustible material within ten feet and that you have a water source readily nearby and ready to go just in case.

You cannot have a barbecue on a wooden porch, deck, or roof. Propane tanks are allowed, but they cannot be used on a deck or roof at all, and you cannot sore more than 2 20-pound tanks on your property.

Luckily, our backyard is bricks layed on top of soil and it is a garden so we have a water hose. So, I think we pass the fire code but I have never asked the FDNY to come by and verify this - don't think I will either. :shock: I was really suprised to learn that we technically can have a propane tank too, although I don't think we need one.

Re: Question for the Upstaters

I have seen on the forums' date=' this one and the other one, that it is a good idea in winter to open up the cooker once the coals go out, to prevent frost damage. What has your experience been with winter cooking?[/quote']

I don't think I've seen that suggestion on this forum. I don't see how opening or closing the vents on an unused cooker could possibly affect its longevity.

Wouldn't be surprised if you saw it on the other forum though. They've developed a whole new field of engineering to explain crumbling cookers.

Could be a Mexi-K problem only

Hey Gerard,

You are probably right, I must have seen it elsewhere. That said, the theory was that during extreme cold, condensation would form in the cooker as it cooled off after use, and that the condensation would then freeze and expand, putting stress on the dome. I am not really worried about it - for all I know, it was probably just a mexi-k-er trying to explain why his grill broke during the winter.

I have a Mexi-K as well as a KK.

My Mexi-K is actually one of the ones that has held up well. I attribute that to the fact that after each cook I use 8 feet of common string and tie my biggest rooster to the garage by his right leg. If he stays tied up for the entire day the K will remain healthy. One time my daughter untied him and a tile fell off of the dome, so I know it works.

(Idea stolen from an episode of Little House on the Prairie)

Central Pork, I have a MexiK, and am in the process of acquiring a KK. There are suggestions on the other forum to back off the dome top after

shutting down, especially when the weather is cold.

I think it stems from the POSK's tendency to have the cheap acme bolt damper tops get stuck in the closed position. The theory is that if you close it whiile hot, and it then cools and contracts, it will get stuck or break something loose. Nevermind that they rust solid anyway :shock: Just take a look at the repairs our own Majestik had to do on his mexi-krap! :D

leejp

Well, given my location, I usually go to Citeralla on the upper west side or Fairways, both of which actually sell prime brisket. Here is the rub: unless you order in advance, they almost never have packers cut, only small flats without any fat - in other words not q-ready. So what I do is call a week or so before and tell them what I want, packers cut dont trim the fat, and they usually oblige. The product has always been excellent.

Also, it you are looking to really blow people away, you need to try lobels on the upper east side, 90s and madison. These guys are all over TV and they sell online but going to the store is really charming and second to none, both in quality and in price unfortunately. You can order briskets and pretty much anything else you want there. They also have anything you want Wagyu, heritage Kurobuta pork (all cuts), and the best all-natural chickens in town. Their prime aged steaks are so good on a ceramic cooker you don't need to bother going out for steak anymore, even in New york. I do New York bone-in strips about 1.5" thick usually. As I said, the prices are in the stratosphere but when you want to do something special, thats where you go. When I get my kk in a month or two, I will definitely give it its first run with something from Lobels. Let me know if you go there!

Re: leejp

Also' date=' it you are looking to really blow people away, you need to try lobels on the upper east side, 90s and madison. These guys are all over TV and they sell online but going to the store is really charming and second to none, both in quality and in price unfortunately. You can order briskets and pretty much anything else you want there. They also have anything you want Wagyu, heritage Kurobuta pork (all cuts), and the best all-natural chickens in town. Their prime aged steaks are so good on a ceramic cooker you don't need to bother going out for steak anymore, even in New york. I do New York bone-in strips about 1.5" thick usually. As I said, the prices are in the stratosphere but when you want to do something special, thats where you go. When I get my kk in a month or two, I will definitely give it its first run with something from Lobels. Let me know if you go there![/quote']

Yep been there for the sticker shock only... Maybe I'll pick up the bone in strip for my birthday. My kids love the Museum of Natural History and I get free admission through work so we're in your section of town a lot.

que seems contrary to such expense though... the point take a tough unedible inexpensive cut of meat to create culinary nirvana.

Congrats on your cooker... Happy queing!

The every day spot

I definitely know where you guys are coming from (although spring at least for the steaks, with steak there is some value I think)

As for a place that is much more affordable, I would try Western Beef on 16th and 9th. They have very cheap prices and pretty good selection, although brisket is still tough to find in NYC. I bought spareribs there recently for $1/lb and great pork loin for 98 cents.lb. Both items came out great.

You didn't mention fairways though, have you been there? It is probably the best middle ground in terms of quality and service. They don't have the super premium prices of lobels, but they will still prepare pretty much any cut of meat and you way you like it.

Bulk Lump Order...

This should really be on a different thread but...

If we can get enough Tri-state folks together maybe we can pull off a pallet (or two) of bulk lump. The local stores carry Cowboy and Royal Oak but I really like the Humphrey Lump (amongst tops per the Naked Whiz).

I used to buy the stuff for ~$11/20# bag but the ice company I was buying from in Albany stopped carrying it. I'd be willing to buy a pallet if I could split with someone (or the Wicked Good Lump stuff).

Charcoal

leejp,

Since you mention it I definitely would be interested in that, although I am bummed that Wicked Good seems to be not producing the competition blend right now. Although I am happy to team up to buy some high quality stuff in bulk, you should know that The Woodman (www.thewoodman.com) sells and delivers wicked good weekend warrior in the tri-state area, as well as smoking woods and chips as well. Check that out and then maybe we can coordinate.

No one on the forum has heard whether comp. blend is coming back any time soon, I am assuming?

I'm getting some quotes...

I have Humphrey working up a quote for a pallet order (30x20# bags) to the local trucking terminal.

I also have a hardware store in Danbury working up a quote for a pallet (30x22# bags) Wicked Good Weekend Warrior Blend (normally ~$15/bag).

I like the Humphrey stuff better though...

Take yer lumps

Still early to find lump easily around here. Weggies started stocking its own brand (rebagged Royal Oak) again for the season. Local fireplace store has Royal Oak, too. And, of course, the BGE stuff that the BGE dealer has. Same stuff, higher price, green bag.

Someday I'll find a local source for other brands of "everyday" lump, and won't know what to do with myself. lol