tcoliver

Lump Charcoal Briquets

Lump Location

Dennis - if you need a gathering point for the fine folks in the NE area we can ship a pallet or two here and folks can come and get it. Heck in my travels north and south I can maybe even meet some of you! The warehouse I use is at the "split" of Maryland Rt 50 and 301 on the Eastern Shore. We are ready to buy when you are ready to ship!

John

Lump in SLC, UT

woodieB, try

Casual Barbecue & Fireplace, Inc.

555 West 3900 South #A

Salt Lake City, Utah 84123

(801) 263-9646 - Phone

(801) 263-9649 - Fax

[email protected]

Mon-Fri: 9:00 - 6:00

Saturday: 10:00-3:00

they carry Big Green Egg. likely to carry their lump charcoal as well. hope this isn't a huge breach in etiquette dennis. just tryin to get old boy in Utah some lump charcoal!

was using a homemade twin-barrel steel cooker and stick burning!

Hey, I grew up learning on that, well actually one of those cheap 55-gal drum cookers (that probably held unimaginable toxics before it's final assembly) . My dad still uses one to this day, burns only Mesquite, and lights his fires with gasoline. He's perfected the art of tossing a match from 15 feet :lol:

I had a couple of offsets before I finally got pissed about them always rusting out, and then seeing Kamados in action.

PC, I'm fine, I know you're just kiddin. :smt023:smt040

BGE eeze not my favorite lump, wife complained when I used to use it, but I'm sure it's probably improved since then. B&B I used to like the best, but it's hard to find outside of Texas.

Re: Lump in SLC, UT

woodieB, try

Casual Barbecue & Fireplace, Inc.

555 West 3900 South #A

Salt Lake City, Utah 84123

(801) 263-9646 - Phone

(801) 263-9649 - Fax

[email protected]

Mon-Fri: 9:00 - 6:00

Saturday: 10:00-3:00

they carry Big Green Egg. likely to carry their lump charcoal as well. hope this isn't a huge breach in etiquette dennis. just tryin to get old boy in Utah some lump charcoal!

Hey Thanks for the heads up Porkchop, I'll check it out. I haven't looked around that much yet, as I just ordered my KK, and I'm at work at the moment. When I get back home I'll shop around and see what I can find. There are plenty of big box stores here.

Naw, don't think there's an etiquette breach there. Now if you had tried to talk me into buying a BGE, maybe. And honestly, I'm sure they are a fine cooker, but like I told Dennis in an email, I look at the KK I have ordered as a functional piece of art. Hope it cooks as good as it looks. I haven't cooked on ceramic yet. I grew up in Kentucky, home of hickory fired pit BBQ. I wanna be able make a low & slow pork shoulder!

Woodie

Re: lump charcoal in utah

...However' date=' I'm not sure there are many (any) sources of good lump charcoal in Utah, (Salt Lake City). [/quote']Hey, Woodie! Congrats on the new cooker! Very exciting.

Contact your local ACE Hardware. Aren't they everywhere? ACE carries Cowboy, and if it's not in stock, they can order it. $9.99 for 20 lb bag. :)

just for haha's since I have one box of extruded left, and a 20# bag of B&B Charcoal, I'll do a little comparison and see how many cooking hours I get out of each. I'll have to log each grill/cook which is alot of effort for me :? but I'm willing to TOFTT.

Might be hard though unless I do things at the same temps and same length of time :smt017 That's way too structured for me, hmmm......

Thanks ya'll!

Thanks for all the help & suggestions, everyone, PC, Sanny, et al.

I know there are several Ace Hardware stores in SLC, so I'll take a look there. And the BGE store, etc. Salt Lake, like a lot of the mtn west, is home of the big outdoor kitchen with built in large, expensive gas grill. Thanks to you all, it was only by the grace of your fanatical devotion to ceramic cookers, and I include all creeds and makes here, that I was saved from an eternal gassy hell. Well, they are pretty handy for a quick burger

Jeff, congrats on your KK order! Race ya to the first pork butt!

I feel like part of the family already. If anyone makes it out to Salt Lake, drop me an pm, I'll hook you up with some fine homebrewed beer, and some KK cooked buffalo. I bought half of a young buffalo this past winter, a work acquaintance has been doing it for a couple of years now, no hormone, alfalfa cube fed yearling. Makes for pretty good eatin', very lean, can be a little dry, should work out perfect on the KK.

Woodie

I saw some of the hardwood briquettes that tony mentioned to open this thread at my local home depot earlier this week. They were a bargain at $4.99 for a 20#bag. When I returned today, the pallet was almost gone.

I decided I would give them a shot, since they were so cheap. I am no Naked whiz, but here is the scoop:

Packaged by The Original Charcoal Company in Charlotte, NC http://www.originalcharcoal.com/ the contents are listed as "100% hardwood charcoal and Yucca starch". It is also listed as a product of Paraguay.

According to the company website, their products are available in 17 states, primarily in the southeast and Midwest.

The hardwood briquettes are in a bag labeled as Rancher:

dscn1842vv4.jpg

dscn1843pj0.jpg

I tossed 8-10 of these in my bowl of leftover lump and ignited with the gas attachment. These briquettes seemed to light quickly, with no noticed sparking, etc. After a few minutes of exposure to the gas flame, they were well lit on the underside and seemed ready to burn quite hot when allowed to breath freely. I closed the lid, and inserted the normal damper door to set my temps at about 375-400 for my cook.

I had a half basket of leftover mesquite lump in the grill, and just added some of these to fill the basket. I also have a bag of Royal Oak 100% hardwood briquettes in my garage, and often do the same thing with those. What I immediately noticed different about the Rancher briquettes was that there was no white smoke until they became fully ashed over, as there is with the Royal Oak.

After my cook, and closing the grill, I came back and stirred around in the basket. The leftover briquettes held together nicely, and will easily be able to be reused.

Naked whiz has a review of the whole lump charcoal offered by this manufacturer, where he found the charcoal to impart little flavor of its own, and I would agree with that. In fairness, I did not use it exclusively, but will have no problem doing so as soon as my basket is empty. My preliminary impression was good enough that the stuff definitely warrants a closer look.

I found the stuff for $4.99/20# bag in the Orlando, FL area. Another poster announced on the mexi-k charcoal forum that they saw it for about $3 a bag in their local area (RJ has since chastised him, cautioned about environmental damge and removed the post :smt102 ).

If you happen to see this stuff in your local HD, give it a shot - it will certainly give you good everyday grilling for chicken, burgers, bread etc.

There is a difference between the extruded coconut and natural briquettes. The extruded coconut has no binder. It is extruded under tremendous heat and pressure which takes care of making it all stick together. Briquettes are not compressed under as much heat and pressure and therefore need some sort of binder such as wheat paste or yucca paste (in the case of the natural brands). It is my assumption that the binder is what produces the large increase in ash.

Well, since I dont have a suitable scale how about you roll on down to the Home Depot with a crisp Lincoln and settle this confusion properly? :lol:

Otherwise, when I get home Friday I will empty my grill, and cook with an exclusive basket of these briquettes, and just take a picture of the ashes .

BTW, the bag does specifically mention how eco-friendly the resulting ashes are, and even specifies the compounds produced. Maybe they heard that RJ was eco-bashing them? :P

Curly, tiles on the grill still match my EIGHT replacement tiles RJ sent, and the grout was always a matcing sandstone color. Probably faded slightly from the FL sun, but not much. Where it flakes its still looks roughly the same color :D