Sanny

On Memorial Day, thank you.

Thanks to all who served, and all who stayed home and prayed for those who did.

My Mom will call all her "heroes" today. Or all those (or their widows) who are alive. They're the seven men who parachuted into a concentration camp in China to liberate the captives after Japan surrendered. M was a little kid of 13. In her 60s, she finally discovered the names of the men. :)

Thanks for giving me my Mom.

Here's a pic of M with a piece of parachute that one of the liberators dropped in on. One of the women in the camp embroidered a scene of the liberation and had each man sign it. :)

It's on display at the Smithsonian now.

mparachute.jpg

And a pic of the whole camp at the time of the liberation. They all came running to greet the heroes. :)

CrowdLZW.jpg

What a great post, and wonderful narrative, Sanny. It is a clear reminder that there is more to Memorial Day than beer and BBQ.

I am sure to think of your story, and all of the men who have helped ensure we remain the greatest nation on the planet - while I drink my beer and cook my BBQ :D

She must be where you got your love of Blue...blue wall' date=' blue shirt :D[/quote']Um...the wall's mine. It's the bathroom, and I painted it blue with puffy clouds on it. lol. Seemed like the right place to take a picture of a parachute. :smt045

But yes, she likes bloo too. :)

So, you're trying to tell me that lady was 13 in 1945...which means she's 75 years old in that photo?

If you got her genes you're gonna age well, I would easily take 15-20 years off that age if I were to put a number on her. Pretty lady too :D

Well, that was a few years ago. Here's a recent one of her. Yup, 75 in a few months. You know her companion in the pic, of course.

MandLivvyphoto.jpg

dbY_lO0SPoniKvz0hhYuR5XjZ9D2ecvz0300.jpg

You've seen my pic, right? Mom is blonde and blue, I'm brown and brown. But yup, we share a gene pool. :) Many think I'm fewer years than I am.

board_profilecgi.jpg

#1 - great post! my daughter asked me today why flags were at half mast, and we had a great talk about it. come from a long line of military veterans! i would hope we have learned by now to stand behind our men and women in the military and support them fully!

#2 - zowie! hey sanny...

joey_09.jpg

how you doin?

fetch?id=67467 On Memorial Day, thank you.

Again. Hey, all! It's Memorial Day again. We have a new generation or two of heroes to thank! For those of you who remember my Mother's story about being liberated from a concentration camp (aka Weishein Civilian Assembly Center) in China in WW2, you may be interested in an article on NPR this week. I'm not sure if it will be Morning Edition, or All Things Considered. The last of the 7 American soldiers who parachuted into Japanese occupied China to liberate her camp passed away at the end of April. Tad Nagaki, a Nissei, volunteered to go. You can imagine, Japanese Americans were suspect at the time. Tad was over 90 years old when he died. He'd outlived his wife and his sons, and had spent his life farming in Nebraska. If anyone would like to read stories about the camp and M's heroes, here's a link, with articles and photos. http://www.weihsien-paintings.org/Mprev ... xFrame.htm xo, Heroes!

post-6465-139082405134_thumb.jpg

Re: On Memorial Day, thank you.

D-Day.

I got choked up listening to Ronald Reagan speaking about it on the 40th anniversary. Rush played the audio clip this afternoon. I doubt there's any WW II vets on our board here, but to any of their family members, I salute them and am grateful for their service.