cruz-in

4 Butts at a time?

Need to do lots of Butts (like Eight) for my son's Eagle Scout Court of Honor...any suggestions on how to do 4 at a time vice the two I usually do?

Can you do this with the upper sear grill? Two on the normal grill and two on the upper grill?

If so, Dennis How soon can I get an upper/sear grill?

Thanks

Dan

In a pinch, could you make your own upper grill? I'm thinkin bricks or some sort of side supports, and a stainless wire rack, like for cooling cookies? Still considering the supports, but that type of rack might do in a pinch to get you an upper level.

Doesn't the lower grill on an OTB flip over and become an upper one? Don't think you'd want to cook butts down that close to the flames, anyway.

Thinkin out loud. I'm sure there are professional butt people out there who can give a real solution. :)

ive done 7 butts at a time on the old mexi-k. 4 on bottom tier, 3 on upper tier. if you set up with firebricks (check the bge forum on setting up using this method) you can do the same, if you dont have the upper grill attachment for the kk.

btw, those considering ordering a kk, the upper (legged) grill should be considered as a NECESSARY optional item. order it! if you have it, you WILL use it!

if you do prepare 7-8 butts on your KK, make sure you set up a drip pan!! a BIG one! i would set up with a stone and drip pan on the lower grill, butts and firebricks on the main grill, and butts on the upper grill. thats meat for 75+ hungry scouts right there!

Lots of Good idea's

Hi All,

Thanks for all the good thoughts...sounds like long term I need an upper/sear grill....near term (like this weekend) I am going to try and place my Weber kettle grill up on bricks to create a second tier and get two more up there...standing on end is also an option...

I will keep you all posted and post some photos of however I end up doing it...

Thanks

Dan

I just did 4 this weekend. They all fit on the main level. Dennis asked me to take a picture of them, but I forgot. Sorry!

2 of them were about regular sized, and 2 were a little smaller. I think that there was a total of maybe 25 pounds. And they were the hacked up boneless kind that my Costco sells.

I've done 7 butts at a time on the old mexi-k. 4 on bottom tier, 3 on upper tier......

if you do prepare 7-8 butts on your KK, make sure you set up a drip pan!! a BIG one! i would set up with a stone and drip pan on the lower grill, butts and firebricks on the main grill, and butts on the upper grill. thats meat for 75+ hungry scouts right there!

Mr. Chop-

I am still cooking on my 7 year old Mexi-K (never heard of that term til today - what a revelation this site has been). I am going to do 8-12 on it in a month or so with main and upper grills. I'll almost completely cover the fire area over my lump saver with heavy duty foil shaped to also be a drip pan sitting on my lower brackets - a great Mexi-K accessory BTW. With low and slow, I think the more indirect the better.

You mention a stone and since my firebox failed on my K7 I have the inner piece with holes that I replaced with a lump saver. Are you using a stone to retain heat or to what purpose - I could use this otherwise useless hunk of what I now know may not be ceramic :D for something.

Mr Krusty -

Some of us have the Mexi-K stone. Can be a heat deflector, or a pizza stone. If I think a plain foil drip pan will not stand up to the weight of drippings if it's just on the lower bracket (like you, I usually just balance it on the lower X), I use that as a tray to sit the drip pan on. I think it's made of the same stuff as the Mexi-K itself.

The stone acts as indirector, and also a support for drippy pan. Recommend wrapping at least the top of the stone in foil so it doesn't get greased.

DO NOT attempt this with an ordinary pizza stone or it'll shatter. Cannot take direct heat.

:)

Thanks - I never thought about all the extra drippings from the additional butts. Probably a good idea to use foil and pan sitting on an a spare grill on the brackets. I have used a couple of layers of foil shaped as a pan without failure, but it is a pain if you have to add lump or wood, and it is pretty flimsy. Wish I had the dough for a KK for the lack of band adjustment alone - but the dude abides.

I still am shocked but not surprised about the Mexi-K. I have been lucky so far.

You mention a stone and since my firebox failed on my K7 I have the inner piece with holes that I replaced with a lump saver. Are you using a stone to retain heat or to what purpose - I could use this otherwise useless hunk of what I now know may not be ceramic :D for something.

the stone i mentioned is basically the mexi-k pizza stone. for a low and slow cook, any pizza stone from walmart or where ever (like 8 bucks, i think) will do. they crack under real heat, but 200-300 range are just fine.

i would put the pizza stone on the lower bracket, then a tin disposable drip pan on the stone, then main and upper grills, loaded down with pork! if i were you, i'd reconsider on the plan for using tinfoil instead of getting the $1 drip pan. main reason for that, is that its easier to retain those drippings for adding back into the pull. (whoops, did i let that secret slide?)

use the fire grate (hunk o cement with holes) that you mentioned as a doorstop...

Usually whatever is in my drip "catcher" whatever form it takes, looks pretty nasty as I am doing periodic injections of 4 or 5 to 1 apple juice and Williams-Sonoma Honey/Cider BBQ sauce, lots of which squirts right back out the hole that you're injecting it in. With that mixed with the juices and my leaky old K7 occasionally spiking up to 3-350*, that mess has looked a little too nasty, probably the injectibles are screwing it up. However, were the drippings not so burnt on to the pan or foil that sounds like a good idea.

I got to add some stove rope to my bottom gasket or do one of those upper gaskets out of silicone those in the "Can't Keep the K bands adjusted club" are doing.