Sanny

What's going on the grill this weekend - Part 2

Well, anyone have anything fun this weekend?

I've got salmon smoking. When that's done, the brisket goes on. Costco had what was marked a flat, but had flat and point, separated. Too bad they took most of the fat cap off the point. Oh well. :smt102

Salmon rubbed lightly with turbinado and kosher salt.

DSCF0980.jpg

I LOVED Costco when they had the UNPEELED tenderloin. WOW!!!

I knew it was too good to last. The wholed unpeeled tenderloin was more fat than meat. More than a few enraged customers succeeded in getting the product pulled from the meat counter. :(

Way before that had happened I had tried in vain to get Costco to put a warning label on the unpeeled tenderloin that would explain there was often more pure fat than meat. I was met with if you don't like it don't buy it. I explained that I LOVED it and was just concerned it might get pulled due to customer complaints. That was met with don't worry, the unpeeled tenderloin isn't going to get discontinued. Anyway, bottom line was that there was NO WAY Costco would consider a warning label. I did have almost a year of HEAVEN. :) That is my favorite cut. When I asked about getting some special ordered the answer was NO and besides the customers were very angry about all the fat. I was told that I would be happier with the peeled tenderloin. :( On the positive side I don't spend $50 or whatever it is to be a Costco member anymore--it had only been the unpeeled tenderloin which turned me into a dues paying customer. Originally, I was offered a free 1 month membership with no obligations and for the most part I didn't have much interest except for that one product.

Re: What's going on the grill this weekend - Part 2

Well, anyone have anything fun this weekend?

I've got salmon smoking. When that's done, the brisket goes on. Costco had what was marked a flat, but had flat and point, separated. Too bad they took most of the fat cap off the point. Oh well. :smt102

Salmon rubbed lightly with turbinado and kosher salt.

Sanny that looks great! You had to bring up the brisket - sigh - I would really love one this weekend? So what times dinner? hehe :smt041

-=Jasen=-

successes, and less than successes

On the plus side, the salmon is amazingly delicious.

Grill stayed at 300 for 7 hours - another success. Nuthin but me and my spinning damper. No guru or stoker.

Brisket tastes ok, but overcooked, and, sad to say, dry. Too little fat cap, and a napping cook, who believed the recipe, when it said "6 hours." Should have come off at 5 or so. Din't pay attention and stick it with trutemp, until it was too late.

Garlic rosemary roasty potatoes are good, too.

Live and learn.

Re: successes, and less than successes

On the plus side, the salmon is amazingly delicious.

Grill stayed at 300 for 7 hours - another success. Nuthin but me and my spinning damper. No guru or stoker.

Brisket tastes ok, but overcooked, and, sad to say, dry. Too little fat cap, and a napping cook, who believed the recipe, when it said "6 hours." Should have come off at 5 or so. Din't pay attention and stick it with trutemp, until it was too late.

Garlic rosemary roasty potatoes are good, too.

Live and learn.

Yeah, they should never give a time on recipes that can vary by weight like that. Should always be a temperature. I cook my brisket at around 250 and pull it off around 190 internal, then do the foil wrap/cooler thing.

But as you said, live and learn! Usually learning is still pretty tasty too!

-=Jasen=-

Here's the brisket. Looks good, doesn't taste nasty. Just quite dry. :(

DSCF0983.jpg

DSCF0982.jpg

Roasty potatoes in rosemary garlic olive oil are good. Put lots of chopped garlic and a tsp of chopped fresh rosemary in the little skillet with 4 tblsp of olive oil. Sizzle until garlic is dark blonde. Strain the garlic and rosemary out, and drizzle the oil on the little red potatoes.

Cookem on the grill. Toss with a tablespoon of the strained garlic and rosemary.

I'm not saying it's a mistake' date=' just that you over napped :shock:[/quote']Alas, yes. That's exactly what I did. And it was a good nap, too! So, I'm not really repentant.

Ok, it wasn't like a Fall Football nap. With the collegiate napping on Satiddy, and professional napping on Sunday. But it was pretty good, nonetheless. :)

this may sound weird but...

sometimes, the reason yer brisket is dry is b/c you haven't let it cook enough... once you get the connective tissues to break down, it "bastes" the meat from inside. so, 6 hours in, leather, 8 hours in, tender vittles. not saying that's the case with your cook, but could be from the sounds of it. next time if you pull a dry brisket, hotbox it for a few hours and see if it don't improve...

that doesn't mean you should skip the bacon... :D

Bacon is the answer. :)

truer words were never spoken.

but, as far as internal temps go, its not JUST an internal temp we are looking at... time has a function as well. that is to say, the instant that your brisket hit an internal of 190, the connective tissues did not liquify. they need time for that. that's why typically, there's a plateau internal temp that brisket hits and remains at while the collagen absorbs heat and breaks down. but, by applying too much heat, you can force the internal temp of the brisket thru that plateau stage, and reach a so-called "finishing temp" w/o having given the collagen the opportunity to break down. so, it may have been "over temp", but wrap it up, and let it sit long enough for that temp to break down your collagen, and it may be a different story. maybe. see, that's why brisket is so ornery. you just do a flat, and the internal rises too fast to allow the collagen to break down properly. you do a whole brisket at the same temp, and the extra mass keeps the internal from going up too fast. adding fat (bacon!) to the top of the flat will help some, but more because it's gonna add mass and protect the up-side of the brisket from the cooker environment. by the time your 6-or-whatever hours of cooking is up, the actual water from both brisket and bacon is long gone, and you are counting on the gelatin/water that comes from the breakdown of the collagen to bring moisture to the meat. the bacon doesn't "keep moisture in", but is more like "fat armor".

of course, this is all me just "supposin"... get AB to hold forth on this topic and we'll all learn something; that guy is awesome!