paul1927

This is a one ingredient recipe for caramel?

4 hours

1 can sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated)

Not the one? See other One Ingredient Soft Caramel Recipes

For an easy caramel topping or dip, simply heat Eagle Brand using the following directions. For safety reasons, heating the unopened can (an old cooking method) is NOT recommended. Instead use one of the following methods.

OVEN METHOD; Pour 1 can Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk into 9 inch pie plate. Cover with aluminum foil; place in larger shallow pan. Fill larger pan with hot water. Bake at 425° for 1 1/2 hours or until thick and caramel colored.

STOVETOP METHOD; Pour 1 can Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk into top of double boiler; place over boiling water. Over low heat, simmer 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until thick and caramel colored. Beat until smooth.

MICROWAVE METHOD; Pour 1 can Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk into 2-quart glass measuring cup. Cook on 50% power (medium) 4 minutes, stirring briskly every 2 minutes until smooth. Cook on 30% power (medium-low) 20 to 26 minutes or until very thick and caramel-colored, stirring briskly every 4 minutes during the first 16 minutes and every 2 minutes the last 4 to 10 minutes.

CAUTION: NEVER HEAT UNOPENED CAN

NEVER let the water level get down to the top of the can (s), because this could cause the can (s) to explode.

http://www.recipezaar.com/17568

I've never made caramel, but was surprised by this recipe and was thinking is this actually caramel?

It has been years since I've had caramel. Love the taste; hate the sticking to my teeth.

Because it is one ingredient I'm tempted to try it. :) OTOH, because of Dennis's Q, I keep getting fatter. Time to call the attorneys. :wink:

Anyone want to step to the plate and give it a crack? Somehow I just don't think this is real caramel.

I've made it before. All caramel is made of is milk, sugar, heat and time (luckily a little of all three is included in sweetened, condensed milk but a lot of heat and time are still missing!). It takes patience since it burns pretty easily but it makes a nice caramel sauce that I once made for a dessert of some sort. I couldn't imagine being able to heat it evenly and slowly enough to make anything thicker than a tasty caramel sauce but maybe with a KK... :)

Is it real caramel? NO I don't think so but it tastes darned close and doesn't stick to your teeth as much as real caramel (actually not even close) It's great for a quick dessert or to make caramel ice cream. I make it in my pressure cooker, it only takes 30 minutes and I don't open the can.