ThreeDJ16

Propane Burner Project

Well, I thought I would share my burner project with the forum. I decided to completely convert the entire burner to American standard pipe fittings and change up a few settings. I mean, anyone here should know it is not like me to tinker with things - hehe! :shock:

First off, here is a before shot of the burner in the grill and the after shot. Both are shot with a standard low pressure regulator in use and valve fully open.

Before:

dscn1098mediumxj6.jpg

After:

dscn1177mediumey5.jpg

I started with the burner itself and drilled out the existing threads heading into the mixing chamber. Then I re-tapped them to 1/4" NPT. Next a 2 1/2" long x 1/4" npt brass pipe nipple was modified to be the replacement gas in tube. One end was left standard while the other end was threaded approximately an additional 1" to allow it to be screwed into the burner. This same end (which was extended) was also tapped internally (1/8"npt) to accommodate a 1/8" npt pipe plug. The plug was also drilled to be used as the venturi jet orifice. Lastly an additional sleeve was cut from 5/8" SS tube to slip over the nipple to allow the valve threaded on the standard end of the pipe nipple to pull the burner up snug on the door. Now all parts are standardized American fittings and I also increased my flame height from around 1" to about 6" allowing for a much faster start of the charcoal. FYI, I have not made any temperature comparisons yet since I have no plans on actually cooking with gas (but will test it for those interested).

-=Jasen=-

Gas in nipple:

dscn1163mediumza7.jpg

Nipple, sleeve & jet nozzle:

dscn1162mediumtk3.jpg

dscn1168mediumnu6.jpg

dscn1166mediumrq5.jpg

dscn1169mediumwm0.jpg

dscn1171mediumyq4.jpg

dscn1173mediumft6.jpg

dscn1191mediumcb5.jpg

Now we're cooking!!

dscn1175mediumws0.jpg

Gas Only Burn Temps

For anyone interested in temperatures, I tested out the rig tonight in a gas only burn. Charcoal basket removed, front door cracked open, rear burner door cracked open and the tophat 1/2 turn open. With gas you want to trap in the heat instead of creating more draft like with charcoal. But the tophat needs to be open enough to allow flue gases to escape. I found that 1/2 turn did not choke the flame any and trapped the heat nicely.

Anyway, 350 was achieved very quick; couple of minutes. A few minutes more and I hit 450. Took a little but longer but 525 was about the most I could get in a reasonably short amount of time. I might could get higher temps after heat soaking, but frankly I don't see much need for anything higher with gas. I might also add that is with an efficient, blue low pressure flame so smut/chemicals should not be an issue.

The flame is also adequate to start the charcoal in seconds. I will probably reduce my low/slow gas burn start time down from 2 minutes to 1 minute.

-=Jasen=-

Re: So....

Just to be clear... the gas unit isn't "plug n play"?

We have to do all that mechanical junk to get it to work right on american gas cans?

:shock:

Not quite. You can force wrong fitting together and may or may not work out. There is also an adapter that will work which converts the BSP to NPT fittings.

-=Jasen=-

Not quite. You can force wrong fitting together and may or may not work out. There is also an adapter that will work which converts the BSP to NPT fittings.

-=Jasen=-

Ugh. Dennis should fix it so all we have to do is turn on the gas and cook.

:?

I sent him all the measurements and his plan is to have the parts machined to match mine. I think he is also looking into the adapter for existing burners.

-=Jasen=-

Ugh. Dennis should fix it so all we have to do is turn on the gas and cook.

I think Dennis is making changes to the burner kit based on DJ's input. Problem is people keep pestering him about the side tables ;)

That's right, since I have my burner the side tables are the most important thing now - hahahahahaha! Let's not get our priorities wrong here!! :twisted:

-=Jasen=-