ThreeDJ16

Grilled Hot Wings!!

Mmmmm, got some hot wings grillin' right now! I just coat the wings with favorite hot sauce and sprinkle on Dizzy Pig's Swamp Venom. Grill at 275 to 325 till the wings are very loose in the joint. I like mine almost falling apart, around 2 hours. May seem like a lot, but wings can handle it with all that protective skin and nice fat content (I like them crisp). Coat again with hot sauce 30 minutes before end of cook. I use something like Tabasco initially, then something slightly milder for the end coating like Texas Pete wing sauce.

Opps, forgot to mention that I usually up the temps during the final coat to crisp things up more (375-400). They will still eventually crisp anyway, but this speeds it up.

-=Jasen=-

dscn1194mediumgd2.jpg

What's that rack they're on? Is that a wing thingy? Who knew they made such a thing? :) Glad your wings were yummy. Next time, maybe not quite so hot, huh? :wink:

lol.

Looks like a Leg thingee rack. I bought 4 of them recently and they are nice. I think it's 12 legs per rack. 3 racks fit on the KK main grill. I brought some of those legs in for lunch today as a matter of fact. It's great, don't have to turn the legs this way (or wings).

The wings look great!!! makes me hungry just looking at them...

Deej, did you cook on the KK every night so far???

Did I mention my KK is in the country?? WOOOHOOO :D

But not at my place yet :cry:

What's the estimated drool date, Paul? Have they called to tell you when to have the pack-roos ready to move it for you? :wink:

Hope you have meat ready to go as soon as it's uncrated. Order of priorities: camera, then stuff to cook. :)

S'very exciting. You'll have a fur family AND a tile family. lol

What's the estimated drool date, Paul? Have they called to tell you when to have the pack-roos ready to move it for you? :wink:

Hope you have meat ready to go as soon as it's uncrated. Order of priorities: camera, then stuff to cook. :)

S'very exciting. You'll have a fur family AND a tile family. lol

They figure 5-7 working days to process + 2 days to fumigate...So I reckon some time next week.. :):):)

I'll make sure the camera will be present to take some photo's of me and the posse before and after the hernia :lol:

I think I'll make some chicken for my first cook to thank the helpers....(easypeasy with the rotisserie). :D

What's that rack they're on? Is that a wing thingy? Who knew they made such a thing? :) Glad your wings were yummy. Next time, maybe not quite so hot, huh? :wink:

lol.

It is a leg / wing holder. Lowes and Target carry them. It has the bar in the center for wings to hook into or just slide a leg on the slot. It works great.

-=Jasen=-

lol.

It is a leg / wing holder. Lowes and Target carry them. It has the bar in the center for wings to hook into or just slide a leg on the slot. It works great.

-=Jasen=-

Yep, got mine at Lowes. about $5 each.

deej, i do wings fairly often, but do a high(ish) temp cook, about 450+ or so. reason being, i like the crispy skin. i do them with a little rub, then toss them hot in a hot sauce/butter 50/50 mix. i like them, but i'm intrigued by your method. you say the skin crisps up nice at those low temps if left to "simmer" for a couple hours?? they are definitely prettier than mine!

deej' date=' i do wings fairly often, but do a high(ish) temp cook, about 450+ or so. reason being, i like the crispy skin. i do them with a little rub, then toss them hot in a hot sauce/butter 50/50 mix. i like them, but i'm intrigued by your method. you say the skin crisps up nice at those low temps if left to "simmer" for a couple hours?? they are definitely prettier than mine![/quote']

Well, think about it, when you finish a pork butt is the skin cripsy? Mine is! But when I place the final coat on them, I do increase the heat ( I forgot to mention that - but they do still crisp up eventually anyway). I like them crispy on the outside too, but I like the flavor that they pick up starting them out low and slow. I will go back and mention the heat up at the end in my original post.

-=Jasen=-

BTW, welcome back, good trip I take it or are you sneaking a peak at the forum while still on vacation?

Ok...I know....if there are no pictures it didn't happen.....but here is what I imagined this weekend 8)

I love wings (or more specifically the hot buffalo sauce), but am not a big fan of all the skin and fat. Being inspired by DJs grilled wings, I decided to make some buffalo chicken thighs.

I started with a brine:

• about 2 1/2 quarts of water
    1 bottle of beer
    about 3-4 ounces of Tabasco (I use the giant bottles, but I would guess it was about 1 full small bottle of Tabasco I put in there, plus a few shakes of chipotle Tabasco, because I was out of regular :o
    about 1/4 cup of kosher salt (less than standard because of the salt in the Tabasco)
    about 2/3 cup sugar

Can you tell I believe in precise measurements? I soaked the thighs in the brine for about 4-5 hours, then put them skin side down on the main grill at 230* . I added a big foil pouch full of peach twigs for smoke, and let them cook indirect for about 90 minutes.

After 90 minutes, I placed a small foil pan full of buffalo sauce on the upper grill. For the sauce I use:

• about 1/3 stick of butter
    about a half a regular sized bottle of Franks red hot
    Tabasco or other hot sauce to taste (I like mine HOT)
    several tablespoons of honey

When the sauce is nice and hot, I flipped the thighs and removed the skin. Gave them a bath in sauce and back on the grill. I opened the vents to get the temps up to about 350 and baked them for about 20-30 more minutes, re-dipping in sauce 2-3 times. worked out excellent. Lots of flavor, not dry at all, and I got to satisfy my wing craving a little bit healthier than usual :D

I just cook my wings in a deep fryer. Ummm-ummm.

I do too sometimes, but I prefer to do them outside with the fish cooker as I hate stinky oil smell. I also hate pulling out the fry fryer - hehe. I am thinking about getting one of these bad boys, but really need more space to put it. http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none

-=Jasen=-