ThreeDJ16

Polder Port Plugs

Thought I would post a few pics for those interested in polder port plugs. I could make some to sell if there was enough interest to warrant buying the two part molding silicone off the internet (as standard high temp auto parts store stuff takes many weeks to setup when not exposed completely to air).

-=Jasen=-

Molds and Plug:

dscn1202mediumat4.jpg

In Place:

dscn1203mediumbt3.jpg

How bout sending one to Sydney??

I'll order some dizzyrub (as they don't ship international) through you as well and you can be my US postmaster general (oh yeah as you know they are very service oriented and do not charge for handling...)

Sound good? No need to thank me 8)

Yeah, those are sweet - I need one too.

How much is the molding silicone? Or more importantly, how many would you have to sell to make it worth getting the stuff? Hopefully its available in something less than gallon size :D

Problem comes into colors. I can get started with the basics for around $50 with one color (say black). To start doing more than one color it would cost considerably more. My target was to be able to sell them for $5 shipped as I think that is reasonable (not like I am looking to make anything here as I have a job already- hehe) Besides, Guru sells their cheapest Guru port kill plug for $4.95 plus shipping. But looks like to be able to get the material and ship the plug to the person ordering I would need to sell at least 15 to break even (that is just some rough estimating since I don't know actual shipping cost) or 10 willing to pay $5 plus shipping. I am trying to find smaller quantities for cheaper prices, but everything seems to be around 2lbs for around $40 plus shipping and still need color pigment too. I will keep looking for cheaper prices. I am looking at a possible catalyst that will cure standard auto store RTV silicone and that may be the ticket out, we will see (I will try to do some calling around to see).

-=Jasen=-

How bout sending one to Sydney??

I'll order some dizzyrub (as they don't ship international) through you as well and you can be my US postmaster general (oh yeah as you know they are very service oriented and do not charge for handling...)

Sound good? No need to thank me 8)

Well, guess I can help an Aussie soon to be grill brother out!

-=Jasen=-

I'm thinking Dennis should put you into production and you could either send them out or send a box full to Tony to ship out with the thermometers....... I'll take cut off the top for getting this all started way back when. :wink: The rest of you Johnny-come-lately(s) can fight over the bones. :3some:

Not really interested in doing this a bunch and not like I am making a profit being I have only asked enough to break even. Just figured while I was making some, it would be nice to offer them to the current forum brethren.

So was black OK with everyone or would clear (understand it is more opaque, just no color pigment) be better? I figured it would be a good color that would work fine with any grill color.

-=Jasen=-

I'd buy a couple just to be supportive AND I need one. When I first started cooking I was surprised to look down and see smoke coming out of my cooker. I was really surprised that Dennis doesn't put a plug in them at the factory before shipping.

I stuffed a wet napkin in the hole and once it dried it stops the smoke but probably not the heat lose.

Anyway if you make them I'll buy a couple and color doesn't matter.

Jeff