ThreeDJ16

Polder Port Plugs

OK, I got a message back from one of the companies saying they can help me with the material I need. Unfortunately they had already closed before I could call them back and he did not leave the name of which material I needed to be able to do a web order. So looks like Monday I maybe able to order (provided their material is not too expensive). The material should be clear and I am also ordering black silicone pigment so that will be the two color choices (unless someone wants to pay $15 more for the extra color pigment - hehe - thought not).

-=Jasen=-

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great, looks like we will have enough people to make this feasible. Monday I will get the prices and hopefully order the material. I will make up a few more molds so it will go faster and get the postal costs information (though I cannot imagine it costing more than $1 shipping in the US). If all goes well, I should be able to make them up the week after next (as I am back to work the weekend after the 4th :( ).

I need to know whether folks want black or clear before I make them up (so how about send me a quick PM as to your preference please).

-=Jasen=-

Re: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

... (though I cannot imagine it costing more than $1 shipping in the US)...
Don't bet on that. Postage rates recently changed. And now they charge more for envelopes "not uniform in thickness." They don't go through the machines, and need special handling. I'm guessing a polder plug fits that description.

A four ounce envelope that isn't uniform thickness is $1.31.

Not sure how much a polder plug weighs, but that's a starting point for you. Calculate postage at usps.gov.

Re: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

... (though I cannot imagine it costing more than $1 shipping in the US)...
Don't bet on that. Postage rates recently changed. And now they charge more for envelopes "not uniform in thickness." They don't go through the machines, and need special handling. I'm guessing a polder plug fits that description.

A four ounce envelope that isn't uniform thickness is $1.31.

Not sure how much a polder plug weighs, but that's a starting point for you. Calculate postage at usps.gov.

That is weird as TonyO just sent me a thermometer recently through USPS and it was a buck (BTW Tony, you got one of these coming for free! thx)? It was not an envelope, but I would have thought a box would be more than an envelope? Oh well, I will check it out. I guess I need to look at cost of those little bubble envelopes too (you can tell I don't sell much on Ebay - hehe - all new to me).

-=Jasen=-

Anyone have any experience with shipping a lot of small items? What would you recommend for package? Cheaper shipping deal you know of (flats rates and the such)? Should I use the free packaged the USPS offers or do you end up paying more on the shipping? Just lemme know!

-=Jasen=-

Sorry, no experience with shipping but a bit too much experience with buying... I've found that frequently UPS ground is cheaper than USPS these days, it may be worth a call. I don't know if FedEx/Kinkos or The UPS Store are any better than the old Mailboxes, Etc. but MBE added a huge premium over direct shipping.

Anyone have any experience with shipping a lot of small items? What would you recommend for package? Cheaper shipping deal you know of (flats rates and the such)? Should I use the free packaged the USPS offers or do you end up paying more on the shipping? Just lemme know!

-=Jasen=-

You will likely pay more with the "free" post office packages. That requires priority or express mail, which is a minimum of several dollars per package.

Probably less to get some padded envelopes in bulk (staples, Wmart) and do it that way for $2 or so, depending on weight.

Yep, Sanny is right. The free mailers are for priority mail, and the flat rate is like $4.65 or something like that. Not a bad deal if you were stuffing it with lead, but a couple silicone plugs wouldn't be worth it.

Walmart or the office store should have yellow padded mailers, which would cost probably a buck or so to mail. Just take one to the post office, have them figure the postage, and then buy a bunch of stamps, or even postage meter stickers in the exact amount so you can just put them in your mailbox as you are ready to ship more.

BTW, I'm not sure you even need the padded mailers since the plugs are not breakable. Other options, CD/diskette mailers, plain yellow paper envelopes, etc.

Everything Ordered!

Well, I finally got everything ordered yesterday. Since I have not heard from anyone saying they prefer clear, I am taking that one off the table (as it would not make sense to set up a pour just for one or two clear plugs). Give me about two weeks to get the stuff in, make them and I will get with everyone who has asked for them.

-=Jasen=-

DJ, You are the man for doing this. I would like to order 4 any color.

I know I will lose at least one and the little fellow on the left will pull at least two out of the hole thinking it is a toy I bought for him to play with.

Pork Flavored. Hopefully it will be in long enough to get Pork Flavored

I thought I might need more' date=' but you cant let them win all the battles, you have to draw the line somewhere.............................................................. Don't You?[/quote']Well, you COULD draw a line, but it would be for your benefit only. Dunno about yours, but mine doesn't know from lines. A line! What does it smell like? sniff sniff... nuthin. ignore line.

She lets me sleep in the bed, but only so I can add or remove blankets when she's cold, or open the window when she's hot. And I can live in the house, cause I have thumbs and she doesn't, so I can open the food bag more easily, and pull the treats out of the treat jar.

Sad to say, but so it is. :grommit:

I'm well trained after 12 years... :wink:

Update

Well, I received all my materials in this week, made up 15 molds, poured the first 15 plugs, went to test it in my grill............argh...to big.............I grabbed the wrong drill bit when I drilled the molds. So anyway, I still have a couple of the original molds but 2 a day is kinda slow. I am going to make up some new molds this week. My work schedule is hectic for the next 2 weeks so it will be at least that before I can finish.

Also did an experiment with one to make a small hole through the center. Just big enough to allow the probe through and still be tight on the small wire. Anyway, thought some folks might be interested in that.

-=Jasen=-