ThreeDJ16

Polder Port Plugs

I already lost my solid one. I cannot figure out if I misplaced it or Chubby ate it. crap :mad:

Crap? Yah, that's how to find out if Chubbster ate it. :wink:

But it would be all chewed up by then, so I wouldn't bother.

Maybe you know someone who could make you another one. :wink:

Charcoal Plugs???

A bit of an interesting story about the silicone plugs I thought worth sharing (well, interesting in my opinion anyway). While experimenting, the company were the silicone was purchased from told me to use oil based paint or pigments to color the silicone (as the quantity of pigment they sold would do 100 times what I needed). Well the paint did not work out as it caused the silicone to start hardening before it could be poured into the molds. So after researching paint and pigments on the net....duh.....the most common pigment used for 1000s of years is natural charcoal - hehe. So then it was time to experiment with how much, how long to grind and what medium to mix with before putting in the silicone. Just for info, ended up using small scrap charcoal that had already been through the cooker (to make sure it was fully carbonized), then washed and dried it a couple of times to ensure no ash or other impurities. The first plugs turned out grey as I just placed powdered charcoal in the silicone without a premix medium (and it did not disperse well - so grey with specs). Then I remembered the mineral oil for my butchers block and tried it (most oil based artist paints are made with linseed oil). Worked perfect, no reaction to cause premature thickening and blended well.

I also retested the plugs heat capacity in an oven at 450 degrees for almost an hour with no degradation. Then held it in a direct flame for a few seconds with some slight melting, did not catch on fire and was still perfectly usable.

So there you go, no silicone was harmed in the production of your polder port plugs, but I did have to rough up some charcoal - hehe.

-=Jasen=-

Re: Charcoal Plugs???

A bit of an interesting story about the silicone plugs I thought worth sharing ...

So there you go, no silicone was harmed in the production of your polder port plugs, but I did have to rough up some charcoal - hehe.

-=Jasen=-

Wow! I'll never look at my plugs the same. :D Too bad you don't work for NASA, they need some of that passion for precision and testing. :lol:

Re: Charcoal Plugs???

Well, of course after I lost my first solid plug I went ahead and ordered more from DJ and stuck the one in the KK that has the hole in it. Next time I go out it's not there either. Then I got the 2nd package from DJ and opened it and the wife looks at them and says, "I found one of those in the front yard". Fishy stuff. So any ways, now I have 6 solids and none with ahole in it :mad:

But yesterday I found the one with the hole in it in the front yard...with teeth marks in it. The good thing is that Chubby can't (or hasn't) destroy them. Don't know what draws him to that side area where the plug is...maybe he just does a cooker inspection everytime he walks back there in case there are drippings anywhere :eek:

That I don't, Sanny - perhaps he is acclimated to hot sauce.

A little dab of pepper oil works wonders for racoons in my neck of the woods. No trash cans overturned for a couple of years!

He eats our spicey left over's but I doubt even the Chubster will like pepper oil, sounds pretty warm. I may try that if I'm EVER IN A WELL-STOCKED supermarket. I live in Union SC and work in Spartanburg SC. Definately not one in Union, maybe something in Spartanburg, but prolly have to wait on a road trip.

do so sir! if nothing' date=' just to keep you from hawking your inferior wares to the unsuspecting...[/quote']

Yeah really, a few of mine had holes in them, so beware :shock:

Yah, but just that one, and it got teeth marks in it, too!

Maybe you need to get another one with a hole in it, in case that thing with teeth attacks again. :shock:

do so sir! if nothing' date=' just to keep you from hawking your inferior wares to the unsuspecting...[/quote']

Yeah really, a few of mine had holes in them, so beware :shock:

Yah, but just that one, and it got teeth marks in it, too!

Maybe you need to get another one with a hole in it, in case that thing with teeth attacks again. :shock:

I'm way ahead of ya little lady...got me a fresh supply. I know I'm just feeding the man's beer habit, but the plugs work...when they can be found.

Aright, Last Couple Left!

OK, time to put this project to bed. Here is what I have left (and will not be making anymore):

1 - clear w/wire hole

5 - black w/wire hole

4 - clear solid

4 - black solid

My wife is glad this is over with as I am pretty messy pouring silicone - hehe. But it was interesting and a good learning experiment. I appreciate everybody's responses and hope all are happy with what they received.

-=Jasen=-