ThreeDJ16

Burner Cover Project!

Ok, there is considerable ash that falls in this thing. Sure it is not that hard to remove and tap the stuff out. But why if you don't have to - hehe. I decided a cover would be a cool idea. So anyway, this is my first prototype. I didn't have an thin SS on hand and it is much harder to work with anyway, so I had a little copper sheeting around and made it out of that. My first though was just to make a small cover that could easily be inserted over the burner or removed via the front door (easy lighting access that way too). But after I tested it, I think it is feasible to leave the cover in place while using too. My next prototype will be an adjustable model so I can determine the proper height above the burner that still allows it to function yet blocks out falling debris. I am thinking a bar across the bottom with a bolt welded to it in the shape of a "T". Then at the top, another bar across that is threaded in the middle. This will hold the bolt center of the burner. Then the new cover would be threaded to allow it to screw down over the burner to the desired height and a second nut could lock it in place. Anyway, just some thoughts.

-=Jasen=-

dscn1235mediumcy5.jpg

dscn1234mediumxk6.jpg

dscn1236mediumkp5.jpg

dscn1237mediumwu0.jpg

dscn1240mediumwt4.jpg

How much are those gonna cost people? About $5 should prolly break you even right

This one will have to be a Dennis addon if he decides it is worth while and enough people want it. Since I don't have a production metal fab shop, making these out of SS like they need to be is way beyond my means for more than my one cover - hehe!

-=Jasen=-

Will the cover (copper?) be able to handle the heat from the initial gas start-up and from a sustained charcoal burn (above it?)

Or do you remove the gas burner after start-up (minus lazy-brotherhood points if you do :P )

Will the cover (copper?) be able to handle the heat from the initial gas start-up and from a sustained charcoal burn (above it?)

Or do you remove the gas burner after start-up (minus lazy-brotherhood points if you do :P )

Well, as I mentioned the copper was just for the prototype. Though it will last a while. The heat above will not be an issue. If I just used this as a cover and removed it during burner startup and replaced afterwards, it would probably last as long as I would need it. But to use it while the burner is running will certainly shorten how long it will last. I plan to make one out of stainless just as soon as I measure out and finish the plans I have for the next prototype. It should last without question, as long as I need it.

-=Jasen=-

I bet that copper makes some really cool green flames' date=' too :D[/quote']

Look under my burner in the one pic above showing the flames! Yup, copper causing some cool green flames! Not a lot though. That is also one small glitch to work out with using the cover while burner...the gas is also forced down through the center open hole in the burner and comes out underneath. But that should be a simple fix.

-=Jasen=-

A little Tweaking

Ok, a little tweaking on the hold down struts to make a bit of a shoulder worked great. The flame made a huge improvement and the additional height allowed the cover to clear the guide tubes in the door frame (as it was hitting on them with the cover lower). Though that would not be an issue to anyone with the front burner since it is a wider door. So I might stick with this design since it is so much easier and just change the material to SS.

-=Jasen=-

dscn1252mediumja7.jpg

dscn1251mediumkk9.jpg

Re: A little Tweaking

You mentioned it in another post (and hence the cover) how wide is the space between the bars in the basket? Does a fair amount of charcoal fall through or?? :?

Well, I will try to remember to measure later, but as you can see from the pic, it is pretty wide. Probably the same spacing as the grill grates (I know that info does you no good yet - hehe). While I would like them a little closer as I loose a lot of good pieces of charcoal. On the other side, the closer you get them, the easier it is to stop up air flow with small grates. So it is a balancing act to make it just the right size.

-=Jasen=-

Hey PaulR, I could not get to my basket right now, full of charcoal. But it looks to be 1/4" rod and I think the spacing is probably 3/8". I did notice on the 3/8" grates that another 3/8" rod fit perfectly in between (maybe he uses a 3/8" rod as his spacer on the welding jig?).

Anyway, I forgot to take a pic, but to the below pic I added another set of the shoulder struts at 90 degrees opposite the first set and it holds much better now. So I think when I finally make the SS version, it will have four leg struts on the bottom to support instead of two.

-=Jasen=-

dscn1252mediumja7.jpg

Hey PaulR, I could not get to my basket right now, full of charcoal. But it looks to be 1/4" rod and I think the spacing is probably 3/8". I did notice on the 3/8" grates that another 3/8" rod fit perfectly in between (maybe he uses a 3/8" rod as his spacer on the welding jig?).

Anyway, I forgot to take a pic, but to the below pic I added another set of the shoulder struts at 90 degrees opposite the first set and it holds much better now. So I think when I finally make the SS version, it will have four leg struts on the bottom to support instead of two.

-=Jasen=-

Thanks look forward to copying the final version (or I might send you a PM and offer some cash :D:D for another SS version; you might become another Dennis but re gadgets...) :P

New Cover

Well, I experimented with several more designs and also made one with SS. But the SS warped too bad in the heat and was hard to work with. I also thought it would be nice to design one that anyone could build too.

So the one I decided on is made with standard size materials available at your local industrial supply or McMaster-Carr online. They are known as hole covers. But you want the kind that has a screw and not the pop in kind. A 4" hole cover has a diameter of around 5 1/2 " and with a little grinding or file two side 1/16" each, it fits perfect in the rear burner door or no grinding at all to fit in the front door burners. I placed mine on a drill and placed it on a bench grinder to take off that little extra. Then a 1 1/4" hole cover fits on the burner surface. You need a space around 1/2" to keep the large hole cover above the surface. I cut a piece of tubing, but a couple of nuts would work too.

Anyway, here are the pics. Have not adjusted the air mixture since I added it (a little yellow), but imagine the mixture can be corrected easily.

-=Jasen=-

dscn1391mediumdu0.jpg

dscn1395mediumit4.jpg

dscn1392mediumsy8.jpg

dscn1393mediumbj8.jpg

dscn1394mediumgc9.jpg

dscn1390mediumrf0.jpg

OK my bad, McMaster-Carr calls them hole plugs (I am used to calling them covers - but close enough). Anyway, the 4" (5 1/2" outside dia) is part number 71995K68 and the 1 1/4 part number is 71995K69. Though the 1" (part 71995K63) would work OK too (1 1/4 is best fit). Page 807 in their online catalog. http://www.mcmaster.com/

I believe the bolt I ended up using was a 2" long 10-24 (best see what size comes with the covers as you need to use the back off the 1 1/4 plug).

-=Jasen=-