Firemonkey

Baby backs!

I was doing baby backs for my 4th of July grill sacrifice. They were outstanding, and I didnt even imagine it :D

First, I removed the membrane and brined 2 of the 3 racks in a simple salt/sugar brine. I would have done all three but they wouldnt fit in my container :? That was fine with me though, since it gave me a chance to have a control group so i could see if the brine made a difference.

After brining for about 90 minutes, I rinsed and dried them, and hit them with a rub...this rub was quite good:

2 tablespoons salt (lighter on the salt because of the brine)

1/4 cup turbinado sugar

1 tablespoon chili powder

1 tablespoon paprika

2 tablespoon cumin

1 tablespoon garlic powder

1 tablespoons onion powder

1 tablespoon dry mustard

1 teaspoon black pepper

1 teaspoon white pepper

1 teaspoons cayenne

After applying the rub, I added a sprinkle of dried thyme leaves

dscn1930ck3.jpg

Then I went out and prepared the grill with enough lump to last for days, and a few chunks of cherry wood:

dscn1931hy1.jpg

At the same time, I was running my POSK up to high temps so I could roast tomatoes and such for salsa, so I just grabbed a few tong-fulls of hot coals and tossed them on the lump to get it going:

dscn1932wg1.jpg

The ribs an hour or two after embarking on their 5-6 hour journey to smokey goodness. They were cooking at about 250 indirect:

dscn1935ps8.jpg

A couple hours into the cook, I added some ABTs to the upper grill, and a little bit later a crock full of beans. Finally after the ABTs came off I tossed on some corn, too:

dscn1966nm2.jpg

The ribs came off and got covered with foil and a couple towels for about 30 minutes while i bumped up the heat and let everything else finish cooking:

dscn1968ut8.jpg

Ready for everything else to come off the grill - notice the sauce on the side, DJ would be proud :lol: Actually, am not sure anybody even touched the sauces, so that rub must have been good!

dscn1970vc0.jpg

BTW, the brine made a huge difference in the finished ribs. I marked the racks with toothpicks so I wouldnt lose track of my control group. The brined ribs were MUCH more tender, juicy and flavorful. I will brine baby backs every time from now on!

Everyone enjoyed!

dscn1977gb0.jpg

Hmmm' date=' my grill is way darker than yours on the inside! hehe Guess you got some catchin' up to do! hehe [/quote']

Not any more...after today, that thing is black as night inside! My grates may never come clean again :D

BTW, the only thing healthy about a bunch of ribs, cooked with bacon drippings that rained down from ABTs is the reduction is stress and worries you enjoy after consuming them - Better than Zanax :glasses7:

Yumm!

The food looks great and I like how you cooked so many things. I'm learning about grill space and charcoal management from the pros. :lol:

And thanks for the tip on brine. I have done chicken breasts with brine and can't believe how juicy they are (even after I freeze them and microwave the snot out of them three weeks later!) Can't wait to what it does to ribs!

Those times sound about right. As with any low/slow BBQ, let the meat tell you when its done. I would plan for up to 90 minutes a pound when loading lump and such, and see how long it takes.

If you read through some of those threads, you will find people reporting the chuck roll is quite forgiving. I think it was Mike (Majestik) who had a fire get away on him, and said it turned out great, even though his temp ran away up to something like 350 degrees. (He was using a POSK :oops: )

Ahhh, clever and I think I've got one of those. tks

Question (different topic) - Been looking at those 'ginormous' chuck roll threads. Are these beasts cooked for 1 to 1.5 hrs. per pound assuming say a 220 degrees in the KK?

More and more people are finding that a somewhat higher temperature works out better for them. At that low, it takes so long to cook and the meat will dry out more (which is fine if it is half fat/collagen like boston butts). I cook my brisket at 245, it gets plenty of smoke, shorter cook time, turns out tender and juicy!

-=Jasen=-

Hmmm... I don't know how I missed this post but I am glad you referenced it FM. Great looking cook and I too am a big believer in brining + removing that membrane on the back of the ribs.

On another note - I have been looking around a bit for a sure-fire way of roasting corn on the grill. I really like those ears I get at the fairs. Just pull back the husk, the silk is already removed, and the butter is dripping. Just good stuff! Does anyone have any tips on roasting corn on the KK??? Thanks in advance for any help!!

Wayne

(Not that I mind being called Conodo, but Mom and Dad did do slightly better!) :lol:

Does anyone have any tips on roasting corn on the KK???

I experimented a while back with some corn four different ways:

1. Pull back the husk beforehand, wash, remove silk, put husk back.

2. Remove the external silk but keep the husk intact.

3. Do nothing (my "control" corn)

4. Foil wrapped (essentially steamed)

I had the grill up to about 500F (direct heat, under my pizza) and put them in for about 25 minutes, IIRC. Corn #1 won out with a bit more of a smokey flavor (no flavoring smoke, just the lump flavor) and ease of eating afterwords. Of course, this was the most work beforehand as well, but it pays off in the end. If you like the buttery flavor try brushing it with some melted butter before cooking, but I like sprinkling a little salt and cayenne pepper on just before eating.

Since they're in the husk they didn't really need to be turned but if you're buttering them beforehand it may help. I've also cooked them naked, with the husk and silk removed. It's a very different flavor and texture, but I think I like cooking them with the husk on a bit better.

I do mine one of two ways, depending on how fresh the corn is. If the corn is feeling a bit dry, or has smaller kernels, I will just trim off anything loose - silk on top, leaf tips etc. I will soak it in water for an hour or two before putting it on to roast. If the corn is fresh, or has big juicy kernels, I will remove a little husk, about half, so that it gets more of a golden char inside the husk. I never peel them back first, as the silk comes off cleanly with the husk after cooking.

Time and temp is more a result of what else was on the grill.

Thanks Rick - I Googled around and took a look at some sites dedicated to roasting corn on the grill - it gets charred a bit more than I would have expected - it's been so long since I have had grilled corn at a fair that I guess I forgot what that husk looks like when the corn is done!

I'll be trying it sometime soon and will post a pic of the results -

Thx again 8)

Re: Baby backs!

I was doing baby backs for my 4th of July grill sacrifice. They were outstanding, and I didnt even imagine it :D

First, I removed the membrane and brined 2 of the 3 racks in a simple salt/sugar brine. I would have done all three but they wouldnt fit in my container :? That was fine with me though, since it gave me a chance to have a control group so i could see if the brine made a difference.

After brining for about 90 minutes, I rinsed and dried them, and hit them with a rub...this rub was quite good:

May I ask what the formula is for your 90 minute brine is... Does it use more than Syzygies 3% formula?