Professor Salt

2nd cook session on the Komodo

Hope everyone stateside had a great 4th. I cooked brisket and pork ribs (plus dogs, burgers & steaks). The second session on the KK came out a lot better than my first, thanks to your tips on controlling the smoker.

I'm amazed at how little draft it takes to keep a fire chugging along at 200-225 degrees in the KK. I guess that's a testament to the efficiency of the design & materials. I had the top vent open only 1/4 turn from fully closed. That's a big shift in technique from my Weber Smokey Mountain, which I run with the top vents fully open.

In any case, thanks for your tips, everyone!

brisket.jpg

ribs.jpg

Airflow

Nice pics, I haven't done brisket yet, soon.

Yep, that's exactly what I found. 1/4 turn open on the top, draft door closed with fine air controller open about 1/8", and that baby settled down at about 220-230 for 24 STRAIGHT HOURS!! Only a couple of times late in the cook did I have to tweak the top damper by 1/4 turn or so.

So you reckon these instructions are applicable?

conditions...no breeze, very hot, very humid.

top: 1 turn

bottom wheel: 1/2 open

temp probe stopped climbing after 257 degrees

top: 2 turns

bottom wheel: full open

temp probe stopped climbing after 294 degrees

top: 3 turns

large garage fan placed about 10ft away from cooker, pointed towards the bottom draft door...fan speed set to low.

temp probe stopped climbing after 307 degrees

top: 4 turns

temp probe stopped climbing after 311 degrees

top: 5 turns

fan: set at MEDIUM now

temp probe stopped climbing after 314 degrees

top: 6 turns

fan: set at HIGH now

temp probe stopped climbing after 323 degrees

Original Post By:inacoma

viewtopic.php?t=426

Alas, I suspect it's like art. Each user will create his own method.

Experiment a little - that's half the fun. Ok, less than half. Maybe not even a quarter. In fact, it might tick you off. :wink:

Can't wait to hear about your cooking this weekend, Ozzie!

I'll take pictures (of course :) )

My wife suggested that I just cook on the other BBQ's since I haven't trialed my KK yet and i need to get the connection for my gas gadget :eek::eek:

YEAH like that's gonna happen!!! :x

I'll be cooking on Aussie Blue this Sunday (feeding the masses).

2 Kg of Beef (for the Satays)

24 chicken drumettes

4 slabs of ribs

Chorizos

Snags

Should be enough as snacks for 12? :?

So you reckon these instructions are applicable?

conditions...no breeze, very hot, very humid.

top: 1 turn

bottom wheel: 1/2 open

temp probe stopped climbing after 257 degrees

top: 2 turns

temp probe stopped climbing after 294 degrees

top: 3 turns

large garage fan placed about 10ft away from cooker, pointed towards the bottom draft door...fan speed set to low.

temp probe stopped climbing after 307 degrees

top: 4 turns

temp probe stopped climbing after 311 degrees

top: 5 turns

fan: set at MEDIUM now

temp probe stopped climbing after 314 degrees

top: 6 turns

fan: set at HIGH now

temp probe stopped climbing after 323 degrees

Original Post By:inacoma

viewtopic.php?t=426

Paul,

My experience with my KK is quite different. I think it would depend quite a bit on what kind of lump, how big a load, and how much you lit. But here's what I arrived at.

For a low & slow:

1) Load the basket with lump (mesquite in my case) up to the top of the

firebox. (about 6 lb., big pieces on bottom, smaller on top)

2) Light in 3 places in a triangular pattern with a mapp torch (1 min each spot)

3) Top damper unscrewed to about an two inch gap, bottom draft door pulled out 2-3 inches.

4) Within 5-7 min, Tel-Tru therm. temp nearing 200 deg. Close top damper till it stops, open 1/4 turn. Close bottom draft door completely, open fine air control so that the widest part of the "wedge" shaped gap is about 1/8".

5) This stabilized the temp at 220-230 deg, for over 24 hours with only very minor adjustments required.

For a high temp steak sear.

1) Load basket with smaller lump, down to chips & even some dust on top.

2) Light in several places with the mapp torch.

3) With top damper unscrewed to a 1-1/2" gap and draft door pulled out a few inches, my KK went from dead cold to 750-800 deg. F in 17 minutes. I was amazed.

For 350-500 deg cook, start closing dampers 50 deg or so short of desired temp. I found I could maintain 350 with the top damper open 1/2 turn, bottom draft door closed, fine air adjustment open completely.

YMMV according to type, amount of lump, and how much you light initially.

Hope this helps,

Woodie B.

Paul,

I'm gonna say NO. My KK would be over 1000 degrees at most of those settings. I get 350 with the bottom full open (just the dial - door slid in tight) and the top hat open 1/4 (from fully closed). If you start opening the top damper it starts jumping quickly!

It's certainly best to error on the low side, you can always increase the temp easier than get it down once you have overshot. You'll be fine! :D

We are really close Fetzer, I made a typo on the 350 cook. I meant tosay top damper open 1/2 turn, bottom draft door closed, dial open all the way.

Looks like we are really close on settings, even with different lump.

I agree, with most of those settings, my KK would be off the dial of the thermometer.

Paul,

You have to look at the context of the original post.

inacoma wrote:

I sat waiting for my komodo to heat up to 350 for over an hour, and it never did.

I only filled up the center basket with lump, and not the ring around.

later,

k

Inacoma had just received his grill, and he was only filling the small charcoal ring that used to come with the lump basket. Those are no longer made because it so much easier to just fill the whole basket, and shut the grill down to same the leftovers. If you fill your basket to the top of the fire ring, you will have probably 6 times as much lump in there as if you only filled that small ring.

I will confirm that my settings are pretty close to what Woodie and Fetzer have stated, those original airflow settings, if you had adequate lump amounts in the grill, would have resulted in meltdown temps.

Paul,

You have to look at the context of the original post.

inacoma wrote:

I sat waiting for my komodo to heat up to 350 for over an hour, and it never did.

I only filled up the center basket with lump, and not the ring around.

later,

k

Inacoma had just received his grill, and he was only filling the small charcoal ring that used to come with the lump basket. Those are no longer made because it so much easier to just fill the whole basket, and shut the grill down to same the leftovers. If you fill your basket to the top of the fire ring, you will have probably 6 times as much lump in there as if you only filled that small ring.

I will confirm that my settings are pretty close to what Woodie and Fetzer have stated, those original airflow settings, if you had adequate lump amounts in the grill, would have resulted in meltdown temps.

I was gonna as Paul if he had maybe only put a small amount of lump in there, my KK will also have the temp wrap around with those settings and a full load of lump. But, with a small amount of lump, it may be the case.

Tru dat,

I'm trying to figure out a use for the lumpsaver ring, as I always fire up a full load as well.

My lump basket looks like the pic Firemonkey posted, with the exception that I have hickory lumps instead of cherry. Love that hickory flavor, I grew up in KY and that's the local wood of choice for Q.

My lump basket looks like the pic Firemonkey posted' date=' with the exception that I have hickory lumps instead of cherry. Love that hickory flavor, I grew up in KY and that's the local wood of choice for Q.[/quote']

I have hickory, too...and apple....and persimmon...and grape...and peach...and pecan. Now I just need enough time to 'que more and use all of that variety!

Tru dat,

I'm trying to figure out a use for the lumpsaver ring, as I always fire up a full load as well.

My lump basket looks like the pic Firemonkey posted, with the exception that I have hickory lumps instead of cherry. Love that hickory flavor, I grew up in KY and that's the local wood of choice for Q.

Yeah, I think all the que joints that I've seen in the Carolina's use hickory also.