espressodaily

Considering purchase - Is the Komodo appropriate

I am considering a komodo grill.

I understand how it is better for slow cooking.

How is this type of grill for cooking burgers and hot dogs? Is it overkill or a hassle?

For example, when we want to quickly fire up some burgers and hot dogs for the kids how would it compare to something like a weber?

Also, how does one sear steaks with this grill?

Thanks,

Fred

I don't own one of these (yet) but I'm lusting after one. However, I've done lots of ceramic cooking and have lots of experience on a similar unit so I feel qualified to answer.

Though I've cooked lots of hot dogs on ceramic cookers; getting one for hotdogs is a waste. But you'll be tickled over the improvement in your hamburgers and especially steaks. Both come out considerably moister and the latter can be magnificently seared.

And starting and managing a fire in one of these is just as easy as a Weber but you'll want to avoid using charcoal lighting fluid.

If you follow the usual pattern, you'll buy the cooker and suddenly have a new passion for both grilling and for learning the intricacies of low and slow bbq'ing.

Doh, didn't answer you steak searing question.

Typically the K is heated up rather hot... I'm happy at 500, others seek as high as 800. Much beyond that, and I think it's purely a matter of bravado though supposedly Ruth Christie's steak house sears at 1600 if I recall correctly.

The steak is thrown onto the hot grate for 1 minute, flipped, allowed to sear for another minute and then the vents are shut down so the fire stops blazing. Cooking time thereafter is dependent on thickness of steak and desired level of "doneness." Typically several minutes up to 10 or so minutes. Folks that are really into this buy thick THICK cuts of steaks and like to see lots of pink or red when done. I'm happy with about 1" ribeyes, my 500 degree sear for a total of 2 minutes, and about 6 more minutes of "dwell in the shell."

Just a note, if you want a quick cook you can just use the gas option. I often fire up just the gas to cook hot dogs and I use it all the time when I cook pizza (Don't want the charcoal taste). The gas will get it up to 350 deg. in about 3 mins. 90% of the time I use charcoal but having the gas option makes it easy to use for anything.

Just me but if you want it just for hot dogs and hamburgers use a gas or weber charcoal grill. I you want great ribs, butts, briskets, prime rib, pizza, bread, turkey, ect, ect, ect. go with the kk.

an EX K owner.

I don't want it just for hot dogs and hamburgers. The thing is - there are times when me (or my wife, mostly) will be cooking hot dogs and hamburgers. If it's a project to fire up the Komodo then the komodo will be a hard sell.

If you've ever had any kind of charcoal grill, then you are familiar with how to, and what little trouble it takes to fire one up. I used to get the charcoal going in a chimney (5 minutes or so) and then pour them into the ceramic grill (no KK yet). A few years ago I got the a torch. Now I put the charcoal in the ceramic grill and blow torch it. Very very easy. I use it for 2 or 3 burgers all the time.

to echo Curley; same as lighting up any charcoal grill. while I wouldn't use lighter fluid or briquettes, you COULD...

if you are used to using lump and a charcoal chimney, that's as much trouble as you'd experience. if you want to get fancy and use the ol' MAPP torch method, that takes all of 3 minutes.

or you could just use the gas burner available as an option with the KK and either cook on it alone, or use it to light the charcoal. guess you could consider it the best of both worlds...

me personally, I have a thing about LP. don't like it; won't use it. just like briquettes and lighter fluid. yuck. but, to each his own...

and if you don't want to use charcoal?

What if you don't want to use charcoal and just want to use the gas option, since this is what I'm used to on my Ducane (for cooking hamburgers and hotdogs).

I like the convenience of lighting and using my gas Ducane for a quick BBQ of hamburgers, hotdogs, sausage.... Will I be able to cook these things, quickly and easily using the gas option on the KK. How does the flames of the gas option (which is all the way on the bottom near the feet) going to reach the grill rack at the top?

On a regular gas BBQ, the flames are just under the rack....how does the KK cook these things if the flame in so far away?

Beddie, I regularly use my K to cook quick items such as hot dogs and Pizza (where I don't want the charcoal taste). Although I don't have one of Dennis' products yet I think you will find that you can reach temps in the 350 range in less than 5 mins. , don't worry the powerfull burner will allow heat to reach the main grill or you can use the lower grill if you want things seared. With Dennis' superior construction I think you will have better results than I with heat retention. This grill is the all around cooker and I have not found anything that I can't cook on it.