sumrtym

Questions: top damper & charcoal basket

1. I'm wondering about the design of the top damper. It appears to be a stainless steel copy of the original Kamado with added gasket. I'm wondering how easy this is to grab to turn / adjust, and about the wear and tear on this part as it is so firmly built into the cooker (screw and bolt). I'm still trying to understand why this would not get stuck as well?

2. Unlike most ceramic cookers, the firebox doesn't appear to have a bottom with holes. Instead you use a basket. I see this having better airflow / eliminating clogged holes, yet at the same time looks like it would waste charcoal (small pieces falling through). Not only that, but as they burn down, they're going to easily fall through the grate (not just ash) it would look like to me so you'd have them burning on the outer shell / floor of the Komodo more so than competitors. Any comments on possibble increased fuel waste / burning coal on outer shell?

Re: Questions: top damper & charcoal basket

1. I'm wondering about the design of the top damper. It appears to be a stainless steel copy of the original Kamado with added gasket. I'm wondering how easy this is to grab to turn / adjust, and about the wear and tear on this part as it is so firmly built into the cooker (screw and bolt). I'm still trying to understand why this would not get stuck as well?

2. Unlike most ceramic cookers, the firebox doesn't appear to have a bottom with holes. Instead you use a basket. I see this having better airflow / eliminating clogged holes, yet at the same time looks like it would waste charcoal (small pieces falling through). Not only that, but as they burn down, they're going to easily fall through the grate (not just ash) it would look like to me so you'd have them burning on the outer shell / floor of the Komodo more so than competitors. Any comments on possibble increased fuel waste / burning coal on outer shell?

On #1, it's easy to turn open because it has ears. I guess the logic that it won't get stuck is because it's stainless and won't rust. At least that's my take.

On #2, I agree with the logic that there seems to be the potential for a lot of wasted lump, but that hasn't been the case so far. When I clean out my KK I get almost all powder, very few pieces of lump. From what I've heard, the K company went to the basket only deal to for the most part. I used to use a wok with holes in it anyways on my K, sitting on top of the cement thing with holes it it. I figured I would go back to that method, (except have the wok sitting over the lump saver basket) as soon as I saw a lot of wasted lump...but it hasn't been the case yet.

More on point #1 - The KK top damper is indeed stainless, but it is machined, not off the shelf bolt threads. This has 2 huge benefits. First, the machined threads open at a much higher rate. That is one turn of the KK top is probably 4 of the K top. Second, the threads are machined with plenty of extra play to allow for expansion.

The K threads are notirious for rusting solid. Since this is stainless, rusting should not be an issue. The additional tolerances added when they are machines ensures they stay free spinning.

BTW< they do have little stailess tabs on them, and when doing a hot cook, I can grab an ear with one finger and give it a spin. It will spin all the way down. No more two handing a hot top like I have to do on my POSK.

On point 2, if you add whole pieces of lump to fill the bottom of the metal ring, then you can pour small stuff on top. Once burning, even if it falls down through, its still burning, and you are still getting the heat. Once the pieces are that small, there isnt anything to save anyway, so they just burn away in the bottom. MY POSK does the same thing, as it has the metal lumpsaver.

Re: Questions: top damper & charcoal basket

2. Unlike most ceramic cookers, the firebox doesn't appear to have a bottom with holes. Instead you use a basket. I see this having better airflow / eliminating clogged holes, yet at the same time looks like it would waste charcoal (small pieces falling through). Not only that, but as they burn down, they're going to easily fall through the grate (not just ash) it would look like to me so you'd have them burning on the outer shell / floor of the Komodo more so than competitors. Any comments on possible increased fuel waste / burning coal on outer shell?

Ok, couple of answers, but first one clarification. I am gonna take a guess at what you are calling an original Kamado, but I am gonna refer you to the Naked Whiz web site to clear that up a bit. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/kamadotheword/ ... heword.htm

Now, the Mexi-K is nothing more than a standard carbon steel (rusts) bolt, with standard thread, that is inserted into the tophat and screws into a spider that is grouted in the walls of the dome maybe half way through (easy to break out). The spider has some movement (wobble) in it to allow a seal on an uneven surface. The KK has a machined acme threaded rod (very large threads that will not stick up) made of SS and a rigid spider that goes all the way through the dome walls to the circular band (way stronger connection). It also has ears on the top to aid in turning. The gasket is just one more feature that makes it seal even better.

Actually, most people on the Mexi-k take out the bottom cover with holes and use the lumpsaver as the solid cover with hole gets plugged up way too easy. On the Mexi-K it is a carbon steel basket (which mine rusted out and was very thin in one year). On the KK, it is stainless steel. Yes, there is no getting around loosing some fine pieces of charcoal, both do it. But if you put a few big pieces of charcoal on the bottom, it will not be an issue. Also, I have not had an issue with charcoal burning in the bottom. The ashes smoother it and even it is did, that is no big deal. Dennis also provides a screen guard to insert in the draft door so known can fall out.

There is a very nice comparison to MexiK parts to KK parts. I don't have time to find it yet, maybe someone here would be nice enough to find it as it is an amazing comparison!

-=Jasen=-

Oh, I know all about the mexi-K. Was just an offhand comment that the top didn't look like it had been changed other than materials and wondered if that was such a good thing.

The 2nd question more related to ceramic cookers such as BGE, Primo, etc.

One more question but has the refractory material used for the cooker / deflector / pizza stone been tested and approved as food safe? I found a link to an oven manufacturer who said they didn't use more exotic refractory materials because of things like alumina, and not having done any testing to see if it was food safe or not. (this is SO not about the asbestos / exploding claim). Just want to make sure that somehow I know it is food safe on materials used. Below is a link to a company making brick / ceramic ovens for homes for baking / pizza.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:EfI-hemfGNoJ:www.rumford.com/tayloroven.html+refractory+materials+safe+around+food&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=23&gl=us

Reading through it, they start talking about "alumina", exotic materials used in kiln refractory materials, and having no testing done to see if food safe.

Big, wide, loose, threads

top didn't look like it had been changed other than materials..

The threads on the KK are loose and extremely robust stainless steel. Fat wide threads that have some play in them. Until you cook a few times the top is almost too loose.

1178720386_DJ16.jpg

The 2nd question more related to ceramic cookers such as BGE, Primo, etc.

...(this is SO not about the asbestos / exploding claim). ...

they start talking about "alumina", exotic materials used in kiln refractory materials, and having no testing done to see if food safe.

Haven't heard about exploding claims. 8) And don't have anything to report about being poisoned. My KK has fed lots of people lots of man-size BBQ platters with bibs and all.

But the only thing exploding (and maybe toxic) is Bubba's bean dip, and deviled eggs washed down with hot beer. :D

That was just a reference to the BS post by the "other" kamado.

I do want more info on the materials (other than the data sheets which only have a thumbnail view now). I'd really like something saying food safe from somewhere, esp given the comments from that corrsepondence on the brick oven manufacturer...

You know, kind of how BGE users were throwing on Rutland gaskets to get around burning, only to find out the fiberglass breaks down in them and the manufacturer said it was a food hazard.

I'm paranoid about things I would eat a meal off of 3-4 times a week at least. :) Just looking for that confirmation given this is a newer cooker, manufactured overseas using material used in kilns.

Hi Sumrtym,

Good questions, no doubt. I can't address the ones about the materials. I have have had my KK for a month or so now, and haven't thought too much about alumina, etc. With all the additives in the charcoal briquettes that most people use with conventional grills, ignition aids, etc., I really don't see that as too much of an issue . I suppose there could be some compounds that vaporize from the firebox, but the food is resting on stainless steel grills. You can look at the ongoing debate re aluminum cookware & Alzheimers and find potential adverse health risks in almost anything if you want. For that matter, the very act of eating food grilled over charcoal 3-4 times a week carries enough health implications of it's own.

As far as the charcoal basket goes, it is incredibly efficient. I have done 24 hour cooks with one load of lump. Sure, after the cook, there are a few small pieces on the bottom of the grill, but not very much at all. The top damper works really well, with just a spin you can close it all the way down. The large coarse threads make very small turns of the damper affect airflow considerably, and the small stainless tabs make fine adjustments easy.

This is my first ceramic cooker, so I can't compare it to any others. What I can say is that the KK is a beautifully designed and manufactured piece of cooking equipment.

Woodie B.

BS post... I get it.

That was just a reference to the BS post by the "other" kamado.

I'm paranoid about things I would eat a meal off of 3-4 times a week at least. :) Just looking for that confirmation given this is a newer cooker, manufactured overseas using material used in kilns.

You're paranoid? You ain't seen nothing. I live in Florida the lighting capital of the Western Hemisphere, the home of Alligator Alley, and the roost of the most aggressive rat with wings, aka. the seagull. I'm so paranoid I can't leave my house during the day for fear of being struck by lightning. I refuse to live within 3 miles of water because I might loose a limb to the gators, and I won't walk the streets at night without a big umbrella to shield my hair from the seagull droppings. :wink:

I don't know if Dennis uses alumina in his KK or not, but if he does it appears that it is a very common ingredient in ceramics. http://ceramic-materials.com

The ceramic-materials website also has "hazards of alumina dust" but it seems all the "hazards" are in relation to snorting powdered alumina dust for 20-30 years (sorta like breathing coal dust for 30 years like a coal miner). I imagine that snorting powdered portland cement dust would have adverse effects much sooner. :D

Below is a study by the European Food Safety Authority that concluded it was safe to use Alumina as a filter for drinking water to filter out too much fluoride.:thumbup:

http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/science/af ... oride.html

Thanks for the info. I sent a couple of e-mails to Dennis regarding colored tile as well. I'd kind of still like to see something that says the material has been used in a big manufacturer of brick ovens for food, or been tested, etc.

On another topic, someone told me RED tile is very expensive, but if he could find a source that wasn't, how many people would take a KK in something like THIS?

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?f=/c/a/2007/06/27/HOGQVQBBUN39.DTL&o=2

Can you imagine a KK in that shiny bright red (akin to the shiny every-popular cobalt) with the nice stainless steel?

Can you imagine a KK in that shiny bright red (akin to the shiny every-popular cobalt) with the nice stainless steel?
It's not unheard of to have a "ceramic" cooker done in red tile. Another mfg makes on in a red venetian. I think it's more a red glass tile than a red ceramic. I'm sure Dennis could do it for you, if you wanted it. Seems he can do anything! :)