PaulR

Porterhouse Steaks

Just BBQ-ed some porterhouse steaks...

Simple onion powder, garlic granules, pepper, salt, olive oil

PaulPort.jpg

PaulPort2.jpg

I have to say that the steaks were excellent, juicy and really much better than the ones I previously cooked (on gassers etc).

LOVE MY KK!!! :D:D:D:D

Porterhouse???

In the US this is considered a porterhouse:

amer_wagyu_porterhouse_sm.jpg

What you have looks like what we refer to as the NY strip side, the other side of course is the filet.

The bone-in porterhouse (my picture above) is one of my personal favorites. The strip for me and the filet for my wife. But at ~$15/lb we just do the porterhouse once in a while. I like mine cut 2" thick, rub with kosher salt+pepper, sear @ 6~700*F for 2 minutes on each side, turn down the cooker temp to ~350*F and cook until to ~125*F internal.

Edited...

From Wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porterhouse_steak

"in British usage, followed in Commonwealth countries, only the strip loin side is called the porterhouse, and the tenderloin side is called the fillet."

That explains it...

dude, he's an aussie. they drive on the wrong side of the road, so of course their steak cuts will be all cockeyed :yernuts: what australian butcher is gonna call a steak a New York Strip? but, i guess those aussies must call them that; thats what they're called on the menu when i go to Outback Steakhouse :wink:

btw, paul, those are new york strips :D they look wonderful, but i expected them to be shown upside down... :wink:

btw' date=' paul, those are new york strips :D they look wonderful, but i expected them to be shown upside down... :wink:[/quote']I think they are underside up in the second pic, which would make sense. But they're not exactly upside down, you're right.

Maybe it's a Sydney strip? Or a Brisb'n broil? Melb'n mouthful? :wink:

Re: Porterhouse???

From Wikipedia...

"in British usage, followed in Commonwealth countries, only the strip loin side is called the porterhouse, and the tenderloin side is called the fillet."

That explains it...

No wonder we declared independence! :)

First taxation without representation, and then they tried to pawn off a strip as a whole porterhouse! :shock:

Next they'll try to serve us broiled tomatoes and canned beans on toast for breakfast! :eek:

Next they'll try to serve us broiled tomatoes and canned beans on toast for breakfast!

Although a fried egg on a burger is surprisingly tasty :)

Ya reckon that was a british invention? I thought it was a kiwi one?

Although a fried egg on a burger is surprisingly tasty

Ya reckon that was a british invention? I thought it was a kiwi one?

I had it in Singapore first and was told by my fake Aussie boss (Kiwi in disguise) that it was a British thing. Of course I've also had it in Madrid but I don't think I've had it in the UK so who knows if he's right.

Fried egg and burger

Been eating those since I was a kid...thought it was my mama's country upbringing :shock:

That's healthy too...anytime you add chicken (yes, eggs are made outta liquid chicken) in a recipe on a menu item, it gets the little heart insignia beside it. ;)