gerard

Hey TNW... review of the Stoker?

I'm waiting on Mr. Stoker to return from the weekend to read my rough draft to make sure it is factually accurate. While I maintain editorial control over all my reviews, I do give the product manufacturers an opportunity to correct any factual errors before I publish. I hope to publish it tonight or tomorrow, but we shall just have to see, won't we? :lol:

Differences??

I am curious of the differences between it and the Guru as I did not really see a feature list on the web site. I did see the networking ability and internet software upgrading which are feature I wish were incorporated into my Guru (I have the ProCom). I also wish one of these guys would integrate a time delay tilt switch for the lid in their design. I am working on one now for my Guru that just plugs in between the fan and the base with an adjustable time delay (to kill the fan and give the K a chance to equalize after closing the lid). My port is on the back corner of my K and I hate having to fumble around back there to unplug the fan every time I open the lid. HOW ABOUT IT SHOTGUN FRED - SAVE ME THE TROUBLE AND BUILD ME ONE! Worth a shot - hehe.

-=Jasen=-

Gerard,

Well, it might be a few days longer than I thought. We are waiting on the technical guy to review it, and this guy has the nerve to be getting married!! Can you believe it? So, I'll be posting as soon as I can. I would expect that once I hear, there will only be minor nits to clean up so, a few minutes later, voila!

The nerve of some people. Tell em to take the review on their honeymoon and call you with any technical issues from the suite, otherwise you'll trash the unit in your review.

Not asking for a ranking of the two brands, but do you reckon I would be happy if I asked for either the Stoker or the BG Pit Viper? I understand if you don't answer but I got folks wanting to know what to get me (assuming they pick a temp regulator... other choice is a new phone system for the house... they want to keep me guessing).

The Pit Viper is a fan. Did you mean the Pit Minder? Assuming so, the Pit Minder doesn't monitor food temp, so is that what you want? Otherwise the Competitor is the model that monitors both pit and food. But assuming you mean Pit Minder, the Pit Minder is about $150, while the Stoker Basic is $200. With the Stoker Basic, you would get the lan connection and the ability to add one or more food probes in the future, as well as add more cookers in the future. $50 seems like not much money for the ability to expand in the future. Operationally, the Pit Minder is easier to use (just have a dial to turn, right?) while the Stoker has menus to navigate to set the temperatures, but all that additional flexibility might offset that.

Ok, if you compare a Competitor and Stoker, the Competitor package is about $220, while the Stoker is about $235. (I think you need to order the adapter plate in addition to the Basic Plus system).

So, Competitor has a more powerful fan in case you need it, and a simpler user interface. The Stoker has expandability and LAN access. Something the Stoker can do that someone might like is the ability to monitor several pieces of food, if you buy additional food probes. People are always asking which butt to put the probe in when they cook 2 butts. Or a butt and a brisket.

Anyway, the review will be up as soon as we get the final review done.

Great info. It's nice to have competitive units to choose among. Sounds like both units offer a lot of bang for the buck.

But the decision will still be tough:

Simple + a good reputation + beefy fan vs playing with the computer and monitoring more meat.

Guess I'm still gonna hafta flip a coin... just like I was choosing among tiled cookers that start with the letter "K" j/k

Anyway, REALLY appreciate the help, TNW. You rock (if a 46yo is allowed to say that).