Bobkat

Virgin KK - ON IT'S WAY

8:05 am 7/26 - the Truck has just arrived! WITH NO WAY OF GETTING THE CRATE OFF OF THE TRUCK :mad: No lift gate, no hand truck...did they really think most homeowners keep a forklift in the garage or have 6 NFL lineman over for breakfast? :angryfire:

Ordered in March...this forum keeps you going 'till'...got 30lbs. of lump yesterday...cleared a path through the garage...then watched the truck drive away. OUCH :banghead:

Thanks for letting me vent gang...more to come.

8:05 am 7/26 - the Truck has just arrived! WITH NO WAY OF GETTING THE CRATE OFF OF THE TRUCK :mad: No lift gate, no hand truck...did they really think most homeowners keep a forklift in the garage or have 6 NFL lineman over for breakfast? :angryfire:

Ordered in March...this forum keeps you going 'till'...got 30lbs. of lump yesterday...cleared a path through the garage...then watched the truck drive away. OUCH :banghead:

Thanks for letting me vent gang...more to come.

What's 500 lbs among friends?? Now what? A good appliance truck can handle one, maybe you could back a pickup up to the trailer and hand truck it into the pickup then lower it from the pickup. Still requires about 3 people or 2 real bad asses! :) Good luck, and don't forget, the average human is 30% stronger within a 6' radius of a KK and one person can lift one if it has one of DJ's plugs in it!!! :lol:

Bobkat, Unfortunately I have heard of this happening before either on this forum or the mexi forum. I asked to make sure they had a liftgate....thought I covered all the bases....they did not show up after they had scheduled me on a Friday delivery and I had to wait until Monday.

Well - the trucker came back Friday morning WITH and lift gate and hand truck. He brought the crate to the garage but no further, insisting that insurance/liability concerns *and* therefore company policy prohibited him from any further assistance in getting my KK to the back yard. :(

Funny how the offer of some cash can move mountains of red tape! :D

Dennis (who was in constant contact through out the two day ordeal) had suggested an approach his dad recently used to get HIS new KK around the side yard. So me and my soon to be cash richer driver played leapfrog with pieces of plywood and got the KK to within a couple of feet of the deck. Four strong dudes from who'd helped us with last years' remodel did the rest.

Bravo to the Chef (read: Dennis) as the fit and finish of the KK is off the charts. Could not be happier. Other than a couple of TIG weld issues with the middle grill (Dennis is already on sending me a new one) she survived the cruise in fine shape.

Question - do any of you guys cover your KK from the elements. Never seen a photo of one covered...just wondering. Also - Does everyone out there leave the tru temp thermometer in and exposed to the sun and elements at all times? Guess both questions are related.

Thanks to all for the advice...first cook is scheduled for Wed. this week!

Question - do any of you guys cover your KK from the elements. Never seen a photo of one covered...just wondering...

Check out this thread for information on cover. Johnnyboy's are the best! http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1664&highlight=jammies

Here's a pic of one under cover. :) Thanks, Cozy, for letting us link to your pic! http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1519&highlight=johnnyboy

I leave mine uncovered. I use it daily when I am home, so a cover would just be in my way. Plus, the tiled cooker is much more attractive to see on the back patio, than a covered cooker. YMMV.

I leave the thermometer in both of my cookers as well. It hasnt hurt the old POSK thermometer after all this time, and I would rather have the hole filled with a thermometer than the daily Florida rains seeping in through the hole.

Question - just tried to stick the thermometer in the little hole on the dome above the handle. Hole seems too small...did any of you have to drill it out further to accommodate the thermometer?

Mine does actually need to be drilled a bit larger. I can't get it in all the way, and have just left it about halfway.

Question - do any of you guys cover your KK from the elements. Never seen a photo of one covered...just wondering.

Here's mine... It's a JohnnyBoy! BTW - I had to drill my therm hole, as I recall, an 1/8" masonry bit, or a regular bit you don't really care for will do nicely, some of the interior coating gets into the hole stops the probe from penetrating fully.

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg