Bobkat

Virgin KK - ON IT'S WAY

My wife got me a "GrilleStone" kit. http://www.goearthstone.com/ Any thoughts on this for cleaning?

It shouldn't cause rusting since it's not metal, I would have been better saying not to use non-stainless steel since it's particles left behind from standard steel or iron that cause rusting and pitting. If you like it and it works, feel free to make a post in this forum.

Oh' date=' and when using Silicone say on the Guru inducer tube and/or a dab to keep the Tru Temp in place on the dome. Just regular silicone okay? I asked about 'heat resistant' silicone at Home Depot and they looked at me like I had two heads.[/quote']

I'll have to let someone else answer that, but check to see if there's a temperature rating on the sealant you found. I asked a guy a Lowes where the spray-on Teflon was and he asked what it's used for, they're not the most highly trained people in the world...

... I asked a guy a Lowes where the spray-on Teflon was and he asked what it's used for, they're not the most highly trained people in the world...

Earlier this week I was in Lowes and asked 2 different people where the JB Weld was. Neither of them had a clue what it was, much less where it was. So I said it's like liquid steel, where is your liquid steel...they couldn't believe there was a such thing as liquid steel. Yep, felt like I had 2 heads :roll:

Bobkat,

Get high temp silicone at an auto parts store, but I wouldn't put any on the Tel-Tru, no reason, it won't fall out and it's actually useful to be able to rotate it. I like to rotate it so my target temp is at 12:00 (straight up). It makes it easier to confirm it's at the correct temp from a distance. It's an old trick used in aircraft and race cars, turn the gauges so all the normal states are straight up, it makes it easy to see at a glance that everything is A-OK. :D

... I asked a guy a Lowes where the spray-on Teflon was and he asked what it's used for, they're not the most highly trained people in the world...

Earlier this week I was in Lowes and asked 2 different people where the JB Weld was. Neither of them had a clue what it was, much less where it was. So I said it's like liquid steel, where is your liquid steel...they couldn't believe there was a such thing as liquid steel. Yep, felt like I had 2 heads :roll:

They usually carry JB Weld at Lowes. There is an adhesive section right beside the caulk section (which is located in the paint area). Yeah, places like those, you need to know what you want and where it is located before you arrive to avoid frustrations.

The high temp silicone is best found at the auto store though.

-=Jasen=-

Bobkat,

Get high temp silicone at an auto parts store, but I wouldn't put any on the Tel-Tru, no reason, it won't fall out and it's actually useful to be able to rotate it. I like to rotate it so my target temp is at 12:00 (straight up). It makes it easier to confirm it's at the correct temp from a distance. It's an old trick used in aircraft and race cars, turn the gauges so all the normal states are straight up, it makes it easy to see at a glance that everything is A-OK. :D

Yeah, put it on the Guru port or if a gasket comes off later, but not on the Tru-tel. I am also not sure how long it would last there anyway. The silicone is only rated to 500. If you are cooking at 650 for a pizza, you might burn off the silicone being the thermometer is located directly in the line of fire.

-=Jasen=-

First Cook in the books - two 'beer can' chickens...OMG Let it suffice to say our friends we invited over said it was thee BEST chicken they've ever eaten, I'd have to agree. Credit goes to the KK.

The Guru kept the temp within + or - 3 degrees ALL DAY :D Good call on the Guru J, tks!

So now the gang wants me to attempt a 'butt' over the weekend. According to the books it'll be a 9 to 12 hour cook. So how much lump do you guys recommend so I don't run out of fuel before the finish line? :smt017

First Cook in the books - two 'beer can' chickens...OMG Let it suffice to say our friends we invited over said it was thee BEST chicken they've ever eaten, I'd have to agree. Credit goes to the KK.

The Guru kept the temp within + or - 3 degrees ALL DAY :D Good call on the Guru J, tks!

So now the gang wants me to attempt a 'butt' over the weekend. According to the books it'll be a 9 to 12 hour cook. So how much lump do you guys recommend so I don't run out of fuel before the finish line? :smt017

Cool, sounds good, now were are the pics??? hehe No pics means it did not happen.

There is never a time I ask myself how much charcoal do I need. If I am looking and it is not full, I pour more in! Plain and simple, keep it filled up. It will use what you need and leave what is left for the next cook. I generally fill to the top of the fire ring.

-=Jasen=-

So I'm looking at that post by Porkchop and he says he cooked his butts for like 16 hrs.! :shock: If I fill the fire box to the brim, can the kk make it THAT long without adding more lump?

btw - anyone know where I can find Porkchop's rub recipe? Link to his site is broken in that thread he did a while back.

So I'm looking at that post by Porkchop and he says he cooked his butts for like 16 hrs.! :shock: If I fill the fire box to the brim, can the kk make it THAT long without adding more lump?

btw - anyone know where I can find Porkchop's rub recipe? Link to his site is broken in that thread he did a while back.

Oh yeah, no problem. I have already cooked some pork shoulders for 18 hours and still have plenty of charcoal.

Not a clue on the recipe, I am sure he will re-post it. There is another one I really like in the rub section called Rox's Rub. It is not my recipe, but I posted it in there somewhere.

-=Jasen=-

... If I fill the fire box to the brim, can the kk make it THAT long without adding more lump?

Oh yeah, easy.

Yeah, he was very lax and let that thing get lost :shock: I don't have it, is it not in the recipe section?

In case someone is out there at the moment.

The Butt went on KK at 8pm last night. Pit temp kept at about 210 the whole time (except for an odd spike to the 240's at about 2am) , it's going on 20hrs. now and I had the internal temp up to about 181 - 182 degrees about an hour and a half ago. It's since slipped back to 177 although the dome temp is still up. Should I take it off now anyway? I was shooting for a 185 to 195 internal. I hope it's not already 'jerky' :(

In case someone is out there at the moment.

The Butt went on KK at 8pm last night. Pit temp kept at about 210 the whole time (except for an odd spike to the 240's at about 2am) , it's going on 20hrs. now and I had the internal temp up to about 181 - 182 degrees about an hour and a half ago. It's since slipped back to 177 although the dome temp is still up. Should I take it off now anyway? I was shooting for a 185 to 195 internal. I hope it's not already 'jerky' :(

Hey no sweat dude. 190 is my removal temp. It is not at all uncommon for the temps to dip back down a bit. Anytime during the collagen breakdown phase, you should see some odd stuff like that happening. Let it be for a little longer. Trust your internal thermometer and leave it till 190. Just for info though, I usually shoot for a 225-235 cook temp so it doesn't get so ridiculously long. I sometimes even go a little higher.

-=Jasen=-