PaulR

Rotisserie help!

I'm slow cooking a duck today (muscovy) and have noticed that after about 10-15 minutes the shaft ( :eek: ladies behave) slips out of the KK.

Obviously this is not a good thing to happen (as the rotisserie stops turning and the daffy gets cooked unevenly!).

Does anyone else have the same problem and how can I stop the shaft from slipping out (yep I'm ordering a longer shaft 1cm extra from a local shop) but fear that this will NOT fix the issue. The shaft has to be short enough to fit between the motor and the KK so will always be able to slip out?? (Maybe a small spring at the end of the shaft??)

I'm going outside to check on Daffy! ;)

Re: Rotisserie help!

I'm slow cooking a duck today (muscovy) and have noticed that after about 10-15 minutes the shaft ( :eek: ladies behave) slips out of the KK.

Obviously this is not a good thing to happen (as the rotisserie stops turning and the daffy gets cooked unevenly!).

Does anyone else have the same problem and how can I stop the shaft from slipping out (yep I'm ordering a longer shaft 1cm extra from a local shop) but fear that this will NOT fix the issue. The shaft has to be short enough to fit between the motor and the KK so will always be able to slip out?? (Maybe a small spring at the end of the shaft??)

I'm going outside to check on Daffy! ;)

I had it happen once or twice with the short shaft, but not with a longer one. Are you positive it is being inserted all the way into the sleeve bearing? BTW, the spring sounds like a great idea (and a fairly simple fix - got a spare spring loaded ink pen laying around you could rob the spring out of?).

-=Jasen=-

Thanks DJ, I found a bit of a solution (after 3 hours and several shaft insertians :eek: ). Anyway the solution seems to be to lean something against the motor to stop it from "shaking" too much (at the end of each rotation the bird weight drops to one side; yeah I did try to ensure it was evenly distributed!).

The end result was a very nice crispy duck though... (we consumed 1 duck between the two of us, must have been okay :roll: )

...and have noticed that after about 10-15 minutes the shaft ( :eek: ladies behave) slips out of the KK.

Obviously this is not a good thing to happen ...

Yup, yer right! Not a good thing at all! :wink:

Glad you got that sorted out. I'm sure the lovely Mrs. Ozzie enjoyed the, um, "duck" too! :wink:

...and have noticed that after about 10-15 minutes the shaft ( :eek: ladies behave) slips out of the KK.

Obviously this is not a good thing to happen ...

Yup, yer right! Not a good thing at all! :wink:

Glad you got that sorted out. I'm sure the lovely Mrs. Ozzie enjoyed the, um, "duck" too! :wink:

I wasn't going to mention names S :P but yes Mrs. Ozzie enjoyed the duck as well (said I ate most..hrrmph I didn't notice :? )

But the shaft issue is resolved (I think) especially if/when it's bigger (DJ got his enlarged so.....)

(If this doesn't get me blacklisted..... ;) )

PaulR wrote:

I wasn't going to mention names S but yes Mrs. Ozzie enjoyed the duck as well (said I ate most..hrrmph I didn't notice )

But the shaft issue is resolved (I think) especially if/when it's bigger (DJ got his enlarged so.....)

Maybe you could just take a little blue pill since I'm guessing you will not need the shaft very often. :eek::lol:

Ok so I'm in trouble too....

That is one meaty looking duck. The ducks that I've tried had something like 2 tablespoons of meat if you worked real hard. I always wondered why anyone would bother unless it was a weight loss program.

I agree that regular ducks have a lot less meat on them... :( The muscovy meat takes a bit of getting used to a lot darker than regular duck but with its own flavour. The skin was still very crispy (not as crispy as a peking duck but I cooked it slightly differently from my last duck cook!)

A McGyverish fix

The shaft has to be short enough to fit between the motor and the KK so will always be able to slip out?? (Maybe a small spring at the end of the shaft??)

I'm looking for some small springs to weld on the end of the shaft..

A McGyverish fix that also works is to wrap a standard rubber band around the shaft on the motor side after installing the shaft roll it to the motor side. It will keep the shaft from entering the motor socket too far..

I sorta cringe to tell a customer to hold something in place with a rubber-band but it does work..

;)

Re: A McGyverish fix

A McGyverish fix that also works is to wrap a standard rubber band around the shaft on the motor side after installing the shaft roll it to the motor side. It will keep the shaft from entering the motor socket too far..

I sorta cringe to tell a customer to hold something in place with a rubber-band but it does work..

;)

Happy to play McGyver :D

The solution I found helps is to place a chair against the motor, this stops it from "shaking" too much when the cradle turns. I will also try the rubber-brand trick! ;)

Rotie Shaft Problems

Dennis as I told you the shaft that is coming is 3/4" shorter than it needs to be. Also the "L" bracket to hold the Roti motor is made from to small gauge and If you happen to order the Roti basket package from EZ-Que with both the 6" & *8" so you can do Turkey brests and also order the next size motor which is 110V only you have a problem. I found that the upgrade motor weights 3X more than the 110V/Battery motor. In trying to use the heavier motor I noticed that the "L" was flexing and this caused the motor shaft you are sending to pull out. I found with my KK Supreme that the shaft holder installed in the KK was slightly off axis in horizontal direction, which also adds to the shaft slipping out of Roti motor. I have an EZ-Que HOBE which I can use with my RV camping and also Tail Gaiting. If came with an "L" shaped motor bracket that was twice the qauge in SS over what you are using.