U2PLT

First EZ-Que Chicken

I banked up the lump to the back half of the KK. Then put a small aluminum pan at front half of the roti swing. I used Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin spice all over inside and out. I cooked for 1.5 hours after temp reached 350*. I checked thigh temperature at 175*. It would be nice to have a pair of SS baskets that fits the back & front half so you can have a lump fire that does not cover the total area. What do you think about that Dennis? Weber had these for their kettles so you could cook indirect without an intervening plate. I liked the result of this cook because the wings did not get cooked to crispy critters. We really enjoyed the results of this cook.

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

Re: First EZ-Que Chicken

It would be nice to have a pair of SS baskets that fits the back & front half so you can have a lump fire that does not cover the total area. What do you think about that Dennis? Weber had these for their kettles so you could cook indirect without an intervening plate. I liked the result of this cook because the wings did not get cooked to crispy critters.

I'll give it a try.. I know that all those fancy nigh end gas Q's have those infra-red units mounted on the side of their rotis..

Last roti cook I started indirect with a drip pan at about 325º. Not sure of the timing but when most of the fat in the skin had rendered off, I pulled the stone and pan and finished it off direct at 400º plus. The skin was very thin and crispy. Also best to start with younger birdies with thin skin.

;)