jimbo1102

First Pork Butt

This is my first err, butt. 12 lbs of pork shoulder. I applied the dry rub 24 hours ago as well as starting soaking wood chips in apple juice and water. Using my new Stoker i brought the KK up to 220.

kktemp.jpg

Just before throwing the pork in I reapplied the dry rub. She's a beaut.

pb.jpg

Now I sit back and wait. Every hour til bedtime she'll get mopped. She's coming off tomorrow AM and going to work with me where myself and a few close coworkers will devour it.

Re: First Pork Butt

Now I sit back and wait. Every hour til bedtime she'll get mopped.

Save yourself the trouble... No need to mop. Let the KK do the work. With very little airflow going through the cooker, the moisture will stay in the cooker. You're probably losing more moisture by opening up the cooker every hour vs letting it be. If you're looking, you're not cooking.

Looking tasty! Mopping every hour :shock: Thats alot of mopping for a KK cook. That kind of attention may be required on a steel cooker, but with ceramics, it not necessary to be that attentive.

Generally speaking, the fewer times you open the cooker, the better. One of the hardest things to learn when you move to ceramics is the old saying..."if you are looking, you arent cooking!" :D

If you really feel the need to mop...I would recommend doing it only once or twice. Maybe at about 6 hours, and another at about 12 hours.