Bobkat

First Chuck Roll...Did something wrong

BTW - in case anyone was wondering where I came up with the 210 degrees, I didn't just make it up :oops: . I have a book called "Smoke & Spice" by Cheryl ad Bill Jamison. They say to cook the "low and slow" method which they describe as 200 to 220 degrees...so I picked the middle. Even for the big roasts they say 1 to 1.5 hrs./pound at these low temps. It just didn't work for me and you guys make some good points. Think I listen to you guys next time.

Speaking of which, any suggestions on what to tackle for my fourth kk cook? I'm taking requests :wink:

Have you done your tandoori chicken yet?

That's one of my faves. Also love whole chicks spatchcocked with Deej's "good for chicken" basic rub (modified).

I've been eating way too much chicken lately. This thread (and Deej's brisket) has got me craving some cow.

Though I did do a nice Ratatouille this weekend:

ratataouilledn4.jpg

maj - ah yes... sweet memories!

prime - when i do low & slows, butts, ribs, or a chuck roll, i like to put on cold, as it helps with smoke ring formation. from what i understand, tho, steaks should be brought up to room temp first, for tenderness. in fact, i remember seeing a technique in the "green room" advocating a warm water bath to bring that up sooner. many were very impressed by this.

bobkat - cant remember what your previous 2 initial cooks were. have you tried ABT's yet? these would be a fairly easy, but worthy, item to grace your new KK.

Atomic

Buffalo

Turds

jalapeno stuffed with cream cheese, wrapped with bacon, smoked on the kk til bacon is crisp and jap is soft...

many and varied individual tweaks to this "horse doover" exist. i split them in half, seed, and fill with a sweetened "honey nut" softened cream cheese, wrap in half slice of bacon, sprinkle with rub, and let them rip.

they are horribly addictive. testify, yall!

BTW - in case anyone was wondering where I came up with the 210 degrees, I didn't just make it up :oops: . I have a book called "Smoke & Spice" by Cheryl ad Bill Jamison. They say to cook the "low and slow" method which they describe as 200 to 220 degrees...so I picked the middle. Even for the big roasts they say 1 to 1.5 hrs./pound at these low temps. It just didn't work for me and you guys make some good points. Think I listen to you guys next time.

Speaking of which, any suggestions on what to tackle for my fourth kk cook? I'm taking requests :wink:

I think most would agree that at least a 30 degree differential between desired meat temp and pit temp is a good starting point. Otherwise, you will take forever (if ever), reaching your desired meat temp. I used to be a 225 cooker myself, but have since learned you can be happier at 245-250 on a lot of cooks. Best thing to remember is relax and have a beer!

I also agree with Majestik and PC, higher temps needed and you probably pulled before the collagen finished breaking down. I also think fat is great on a steak as it is fast rendering, but for a low and slow, the connective tissues play the most important role.

-=Jasen=-

i do mine indirect 250 for as long as it takes; can take a couple hours for the bacon to get crisp. don't use thick cut either. as thin as you can get it. my favorite brand for this is DAK, danish bacon from good ol' wally world. inexpensive and good. otherwise, on-sale brand name, NOT the el-cheapo Aldi/Sav-a-lot brand stuff. Farmland's good, Hormel Black Label, or Oscar Mayer even. just as long as its the thin stuff.

Chuck roll

When I get a chuck roll I will almost always cut some of the neck meat off. Very seldom will I trim any fat from the thing unless there is an unusually large piece of pure fat . I have tied them for folks for two reasons, one, for aesthetics, looks much nicer,two, it will fit better in the roasting pan, and will not puff up during the cooking process( OK that was 3). Until my K-KK gets here I can't comment on what the difference would be tied or untied as far as cooking times and shreddability,although I don't think it would matter for the latter.