Amphoran

Antici.................

Just joined the forum after several months of lurking, discussing with Dennis (and wow - you guys are right about his customer service), and am now waiting feverishly for the arival of my GenII sometime next week (all digits crossed).

I'm looking forward to trying some of the recipes I've been reading here, and to building DJ's burner mod.

Cheers,

Mike

......pation

I chose the mottled grey/brown that was on the ship.

Initially, I leaned toward the dark terra blue, but the light grout put me off a bit. I also have a feeling that photos probably don't do justice to that particular tile - some of the shots look beautiful, and some look blah. The Q will be sitting amongst a lot of greenery, and the mottled grey/brown looked like it would complement that well. The more I pondered, the more I found myself leaning toward the simpler, more elegant look.

What have I been cooking on? I've been grilling over a split 55-gallon barrel with an expanded metal grilling surface. Put 40 pounds of charcoal in it (barrel glows red hot), and it will stand up to 5 dozen big pacific oysters at a time. For slower cooks, I've been struggling painfully with an old weber propane genesis, which does what it does well, but doesn't do what I wanted to do - real pig pickin' barbecue and smoked turkeys!

How did I come to KK? I have several friends who have and love big green eggs. I initially was looking to do the same, but did some internet searching, found that there were alternatives, and started reading up on them. I was immediately struck by the very high praise Dennis gets on this forum for customer service (and the lack of similar comments on most other fora). That impression was confirmed when I began discussions with Dennis. I'm looking forward to a very long relationship with the KK, and with this group of highly enthusiastic folks!

I'll post some pictures when it arrives.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Mike

Its on its way from LA!

Hopefully I can arrange delivery Friday, so I can spend the weekend rubbing in the grout sealant (it rains a LOT here in the Winter), and smoking a turkey. I'll be sure to take pics :P

Why would you spend your weekend doing that instead of cooking?? KKs come with the grout pre sealed at the factory :D

Its on its way from LA!

Hopefully I can arrange delivery Friday, so I can spend the weekend rubbing in the grout sealant (it rains a LOT here in the Winter), and smoking a turkey. I'll be sure to take pics :P

What kind of rolling papers do you use? I've tried smoking salmon, but the papers get all messed up when I tried to roll it. :wink:

Why would you spend your weekend doing that instead of cooking?? KKs come with the grout pre sealed at the factory :D

In a phone conversation, Dennis told me to seal the grout, and that a bottle of sealant came in the unit! I'll test it for beading up before I waste the effort.....

Thanks!

Its on its way from LA!

What kind of rolling papers do you use? I've tried smoking salmon, but the papers get all messed up when I tried to roll it. :wink:

Tee Hee thats funny ....remember the flavored ones or the EZ Widers!

Its on its way from LA!

Its on its way from LA!

I don't member nothing :shock:

Yeah, they say if you can remember the 60's you weren't really there.....

It arrived today! I got it uncrated and mostly set up. Pictures will follow tomorrow (so it really happened).

One question - how do you use the ash grate? Its too big to fit in the draft door. Is it intended to be put on the inside?

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks, that was the idea I was coming to. At first glance, it looked like it shoud fit inside the door but outside the cooker. However, that clearly would allow too much air in.

The other thing I was surprised by was the metal tabs sticking out of the upper damper! I had seen them in the pictures, but never realized what they were. Totaly quality in the build - it shuts down tight just as the tabs come to 0 and 180 degrees.