ThreeDJ16

Meat Temp Guide!

I have a foodie wife and she knew (but she doesn't know too much about fighter planes or PC's so we're even I reckon)

Googling:

Delicated: Describes an item that has been tenderized, by passing through a “cube steak†machine or pounding with a meat mallet, in order to break up connective tissue.

The USDA has revised all or most of their temp. guidelines, in any event these are finished temps. If you remove product from heat source at these temps you will have a severely overdone product. As many have noted on this forum before, remove most items well before being done, let sit, and then serve. This of course won't apply to less tender cuts such as shoulders of most meats.The remove early part,that is :axe::violent3:

Yeah, this was 30 second grab off the internet post as someone requested it. I agree that is a good point about carry over temp, but the chart does indicate doneness temps (finish temps); so I hope nobody got the wrong idea from it. If anyone has a pic of a later and greater chart, I would be happy to replace this one?

-=Jasen=-

Way overcooked

true dat.

Nobody at my abode is preggers, elderly,toddler or below, OR immunocompromised.

So I Laugh at the Silly Rules! :smt016

If you don't want your char-rare wonderfully black&bleu

ribeye that I just flopped onto yer plate

:violent3:

I'll be happy to ruin it to your heart's delight. Just send it back

and I'll shoeleatherize it to your specifications. Cuz that's how

I roll :happy6:

dub(figgering we didn't have these regs back in the

Cro-Magnon days and we've come along just fine, thanky)

I guess that is why they say opinions are like :butthead: as everybody has one (now here is mine :D ). No way I am eating a rare steak, mine is gonna be medium. And anyone who has ever had food poisoning from undercooked chicken, myself included, would rather have a little dryness than the alternative. :smt078:pukeright::toimonster Personally I haven't experienced dry chicken at these temps cooking whole birds on rotis or spatchcock cooking (especially on ceramics). Though I could see it being an issue if you half or quarter the bird. I strongly believe techniques play a huge part in the end results and do not think you can definitely say your food will be dry, no matter what methods used, at a given (reasonable) temp.

-=Jasen=-

Anyway, chart is a reference only. Here is a US chart, but it looks the same.

The US Department of Agriculture says the following temperatures will produce safely cooked, but still flavorful meats: Meat Internal Temp. Centigrade

Fresh ground beef, veal, lamb, pork 160°F 71°C

Beef, veal, lamb roasts, steaks, chops: medium rare 145°F 63°C

Beef, veal, lamb roasts, steaks, chops: medium 160°F 71°C

Beef, veal, lamb roasts, steaks, chops: well done 170°F 77°C

Fresh pork roasts, steaks, chops: medium 160°F 71°C

Fresh pork roasts, steaks, chops: well done 170°F 77°C

Ham: cooked before eating 160°F 71°C

Ham: fully cooked, to reheat 140°F 60°C

Ground chicken/turkey 165° F 74°C

Whole chicken/turkey 180° F 82°C

Poultry breasts, roasts 170° F 77°C

You better be careful with chicken. I've seen a patient permanently paralyzed from side effects of food poisoning from eating chicken not fully cooked. Ever heard of Guillain-Barre syndrome? It can be an after effect from food poisoning. You don't need to convert your chicken to shoe leather, just be sure it's done!

I test cuts like pork-loin and pork-chops carefully with my Thermapen and pull at 137 or a touch higher. From my reading, trichinosis is killed at that temperature so my safety margin is the 10+ degrees the temperature rises while settling. The speed/accuracy of the Thermapen has given me the tool I need to make great (read: not shoe-leather) pork.