DennisLinkletter

Shipment handled by Murphy himself

This Supreme OTB was on the LCL shipment handled by Murphy himself..

On Feb 24th I loaded up 9 cookers, a teak table and a crate with an OTB base for FranknTaminFL with side tables for WChape. Off they went with an ETA of April 2nd.

They show up on time and go to get examined by the customs and Homeland Security boys only to be flagged because the individual crates were not stamped to show they had been fumigated.. The entire container had documentation that it had been fumigated but the crates were missing a stamp.

After the entire container was unloaded, the rest of the goods released, customs debated doing the practical sense thing and letting them be fumigated in Long Beach and fining us or dong the unthinkable and sending the cookers back to Indonesia.. well it took them more than 3 weeks to decide they would send them back.. Go try to figure that one out..

For some reason three crates were ruled to be ok. I figured that it was the base and top of the round table and Frank's OTB base as these were packaged in boxes with a wood frame.

When I received the description of what was released to my surprise one of the cookers had made it through.. This made the very patient gentleman in So CA very happy of course but our very own Nator's* cooker was not so fortunate..

It's sailing back.. a replacement has been sent and is hopefully clearing now...

The un-stamped cookers left Long Bch on May 31st.. ETA Surabaya June 24th, where they will be checked and re-fumigated and sent back.. ETA end of July...

Basically it will end up being a 6 month trip... Murphy's law prevails...

But one can't argue with the results... Looking good

*the very patient Nator :wink:

Roelen-2.jpg

Roelen-.jpg

Murphy is a jerk

notice Dennis mentioned the very patient Nator. I am ready for this to get here.

I have 20 boxes of Mexi-K CEL, 3 of the big bags of Wicked Competition, a new thermapen, elbow length heat resistant gloves and have read every ceramic cooker recipe, tip and FAQ that I could find on TNW's site, Porkchops site and others. I've sent pictures of the cooker to friends, family and co-workers and get asked about it at least 3 times a week. I've submitted my Stoker essay hoping I am one of the lucky winners on June 8th. I got the IT guys at work to give me a special proxy so I can get around the blocks and check my Hotmail account during the day waiting for the "Mike, Its on the way" email.

Dennis and I communicate more often than my wife and I do.

We are once again in the hands of the customs folks but should clear any day. I will take a bunch of photos (crating, assembly, etc..) since I know many of you are waiting for yours or contemplating joining us KK'ers.

Dennis, thanks for keeping me posted and Gold's speed on clearing customs!!

It is written

Yes I was provided with documentation

I was kept up to date (almost daily)

I was offered my money back,

I was offered a Classic to be delivered up from FLA to use while I waited for the next boat and was even offered Tony and his escalera to help move things around.

Finally, since I refused all of that, Dennis offered to work an arrangement on some accesories I want.

BTW Tony....I may still need some help when the OTB makes it here.

Ah-hah!

I see the bolts for the side table in one of the photos Dennis put up in this thread. This had me thinking, I know it would be really hard to tile a side table that matched the outside KK contours (even though that would be prefered), but how about stainless side tables? They could easily be cut in an eye pleasing shape, mounted to those bolts and even be easier to clean! Just a thought!

-=Jasen=-

Re: It is written

BTW Tony....I may still need some help when the OTB makes it here.

Nator, Just give me a call, I'd be glad to help. It will be nice to put that Escalera to work again. Only used it once and was told by RJ that it was neccessary. More money wasted. Was going to sell it but now I may see a need for it in the future. Hint, Hint Dennis....

Oooo.... an Escalera!

...will be nice to put that Escalera to work again. Only used it once and was told by RJ that it was neccessary. More money wasted.....

Did you feel comfortable and safe going up stairs with a kamado on it?

Havard George, the original Atlanta Kamado dealer, brought my K up my stairs with it and we were both scared sh*tless. And it wasn't his first time. Maybe there's a steep learning curve and he just hadn't mastered it yet but there were several times when I thought I was gonna get pancaked by the K. I was on the downside... I'm smarter that that now... but if I hadn't been pushing hard to keep it from tilting back and crashing down the stairs, we never would have made it.

I had thoughts of, well if I get flattened, I'm gonna own me a Kamado company... at that time, I figured that would be a good thing.

Like I said I only used it once however this use involved going up a customers back porch with about 50 steps, the steps were made of wood and we did split a few. Fortunately the customer was a big guy and he had also solicited two healthy neighborhood kids. We took our time but when the steps started splitting it did get a little scary. I think the stairclimber would work great if the steps are secure enough.

Its not so bad

I kept uncrating and its not so bad. I am the king of horrible first reactions.

I lost two half tiles right above the hinge where the girll points in the back. Dennis uses two boards with half rounds cut out to wedge the grill in place at the top and it sits on a paded pedestal. I lost one of the half rounds and it slipped off the pedestal. In talking with Dennis, we are guessing it happened pretty close to final delivery or the damage would have been more extensive.

I am unskilled labor but with Dennis's directions, will attempt to repair myself. Dennis called me tonight to talk through it and I am confortable its an easy thing to do.

I am proceeding with 2 butts tonight and will post uncrating and first cook pictures soon.

She is a beautiful cooker and I am very excited its finally here. Quality and craftmanship exceed my expectation.

Nator We're Soul Mates

Nator,

I guess we soul mates in that our OTB's traveled together to Long Beach. By some fluke mine was eventually released and I am now using it, often. I truly understand the patience thing, BUT let me assure you, it is worth it.

So hang in there buddy, and tell us how good it is when you finally get it.

The damage

I always hold my breath until my lil girls are safely in their new home.. Traveling is not an easy thing when you weigh this much.

No damage is acceptable but in this case we got lucky with just a tap to her nose.. Loosing two half tiles..

It will be an easy repair.. Thank God Murphy took the day off..

Mike