Bobkat

Labor Day! - what's on the menu?

250 works just fine! you wont notice the difference in the product. i'm not terribly particular about it. i just set my fire and drafts, and once i can get the temp gauge to register between 225 and 250 stable for an hour, i load it up. i started at 250, 12 hours later was at 225. after i took out the first shoulder, i snuck the top damper up just a jiggle, and had it at 235 for the next 4 hours for the other 2 shoulders.

now that i think about it, i think it might be good to stabilize your cooker at about 250 or so at the beginning of your cook, so that if/when your cooker drops in temps overnite due to burn pattern, weather, whatever, it doesn't drastically effect your cook. starting a black textured cooker after a full afternoon of direct sun in 95 deg weather will be hotter than at night with the same amount of burning fuel. stuff like that.

so, starting the cook high-ish is better than starting it low-ish then trying to adjust temps up drastically, imho.

depends on what im in the mood for or what i have in my pantry. the base is usually the same. i dont buy rubs' date=' altho i've used tony chacere's stuff on occasion for burgers...[/quote']

You were close on the spelling. Tony C. RULES!! I use it as the base for most of my seasonings and great on vegetables too! Great on fries mixed with sugar!

http://www.tonychachere.com/

-=Jasen=-