Porkchop

Porkchop plays nice with others...

willcookforsex2.jpg

there are other ceramics and ceramic fans that i CAN actually get along with.

travelled up to peoria to participate in their BGE fest this year. my team-mate Wes won 2nd for his babybacks, which were stellar!

i should be updating my site with a photo page of the event sometime today or tomorrow. will update you guys here when it happens.

great times!!

don't know his name; i called him "20 hour" the whole day tho. he came by in the morning and was planning on doing a pork butt, but roasted hot instead of low and slow. so i walked over, introduced myself and went something like this:

pc: so, pork butt huh?

20hr: yep!

pc: ever done this before?

20hr: nope...

pc: y'know those take about 20 hours low and slo, right?

20hr: :shock: the meat guy said just 3 or 4 at 350 or so...

pc: well, you never know... good luck!

he won FIRST PLACE, and i gotta tell you, the marinade he used, and the crust he got on that roast, AWESOME!!!! even so, the look on his face was priceless! but the noob rolls on in and snatches 1st from all the other gray haired pit men! biblical, man, just biblical...

serves me right! just when you think you know it all, you open your mouth and show your ignorance to the world! i will be doing a "20 hour" butt sometime, soon as i can get that marinade from him...

nope, but i bet i can get it from hearth and patio, since he won 1st place... i've already emailed them about the photos and the stuff we talked about after the fest. when they reply, i'll ask and pass it on to you...

man, those TIPS were good last night. bowl, slice of white bread, tips, and your sauce... that stuff would be good on ice cream!

BBQ styles

Perhaps all you professionals can answer a Q-history question. :)

I attended a small presentation at the NC History museum this weekend by "bbq guru Bob Garner". He talked about the differences between piedmont/western NC BBQ and Eastern NC BBQ. The differences were essentially this: Eastern NC BBQ is finely chopped or shredded with a clearish peppery vinegar sauce. Western/Piedmont NC style is more coarsely chopped with a tomato-vinegar style Q sauce. I preferred the latter (they had a little taste test). Niether of the samples appeared to have any dry-rub. He mentioned South Carolina style being "mustard-based" and talked a little about Texas and Kansas City, and a couple other styles.

What he didn't talk about, and I should have asked, is where the spice dry rubs entered into the picture. Is that part of a particular style?

What I've been doing lately, using a dry-rub, slathered in yellow mustard (SC style?) and then served with a vinegary-tomato piedmont style sauce on a bun with cole-slaw topping. So, I guess I'm serving a mish-mash of styles, but I like it.

So anyway, where did the rubs come from? (I figure y'all should know). :wink:

--Mike

i IMAGINE the dry rubs come from the practice of dry curing meats. hams, for example, can be sugar or salt cured, and are "cold smoked" or just hanged in a dry, coolish environment.

i BELIEVE the use of smoke for the cure may have come about as a method of keeping egg-laying flies and bugs away from curing meats.

i don't know tons about this; just using my imagination. could be way off.

as far as sauces go, i believe mustard sauce is even more regionally concentrated in parts of SC. my dad lives in Hopkins, just outside Charleston, and we have visited a local BBQ there that is famous for it's mustard sauce.

personally, i prefer my pull with vinegar sauce. "Elder Ward" from the BGE forum has a decent recipe for piedmont style sauce and a good vinegar sauce.

THE WAY you make a pulled pork sammich: cheap white bun, big mound of pork, sweet chow (vinegar slaw, fish slaw, NOT creamy slaw), vinegar sauce! that's the ONLY way to go; the way to the Kingdom is narrow!