dave_in_gva

Hi from Switzerland

Hello KK people,

My name's Dave and I'm a grillaholic.

I live in Switzerland now but am originally from Vancouver. While back in Canada this summer I saw a BGE at a buddy's place and have been smitten by the ceramic cooker bug. Lots of learning (thanks to this board and many others) and I am now waiting for Dennis to get me a quote on one of his Classics over to Switzerland.

We can get a BGE for a fairly good price locally and that may be the way we end up going even if I'd way rather wait a while and get the KK.

Anyway, hope to get some good news from Dennis soon. In the meantime I'll stay tuned to these boards and your collective wisdom...

Dave

Howdy Dave,

Consider this, when I have been around a BGE, and lifted the lid, it's a bit of a workout. Not a huge deal, but think about opening your garage door, again not a huge deal, until you get an opener.

The KK has the equivalent of an automatic door opener (spring loaded hinge) No effort required, just release the latch and bingo, it's open. I just wanted to point out something that won't show up in a picture. But it's one thing that will benefit you dozens of times each use. Good luck with your decision, and if you roll this way, someone will show you the secret handshake! :shock:

Hello Dave,

You'll cook great food either way you choose.

Factor in the number of people you'll cook for. Me personally, if I'm going to the trouble of firing up a smoker for 14 hours or more, I'm going to pack as much meat in there as I can and freeze the result. The largest BGE still has less capacity than a KK. Even if you buy a second rack for the BGE, you still won't have as much room.

Re: Hi from Switzerland

Hello KK people,

My name's Dave and I'm a grillaholic.

I live in Switzerland now but am originally from Vancouver. While back in Canada this summer I saw a BGE at a buddy's place and have been smitten by the ceramic cooker bug. Lots of learning (thanks to this board and many others) and I am now waiting for Dennis to get me a quote on one of his Classics over to Switzerland.

We can get a BGE for a fairly good price locally and that may be the way we end up going even if I'd way rather wait a while and get the KK.

Anyway, hope to get some good news from Dennis soon. In the meantime I'll stay tuned to these boards and your collective wisdom...

Dave

Hi Dave

Would be great to see another KK in Switzerland. I guess till now my KK is the only one here. Where do you live? If you want to take a look at my grill in action you are welcome anytime at my place. Just contact me over my website:

http://www.linder.li/contactform/index.php

I was also thinking about buying the BGE first, but the KK is just so way more better looking and more functional. The shipping to Switzerland took 1 month. It is really worth the waiting and price.

Tobias

What a friendly group....

Thanks all. I'm in Geneva, so not so close to Aarau.

I've seen tlinders posts and website so I'm up on all this stuff.

Bottom line is my wife actually prefers the look of the BGE - doesn't like the legs of the KK - and while she's OK with spending this kind of money on a cooker not sure she'd be up for more.

Really at this point I am waiting on the big guy in Surabaya to come through with a price for one of the two classics he has in stock. Also have wondered about asking for a legless Classic. I do lots of woodwork so no trouble to build a table for it (which would be my plan with the egg anyway).

Best and thanks for the welcome,

Dave

Re: What a friendly group....

Thanks all. I'm in Geneva, so not so close to Aarau.

I've seen tlinders posts and website so I'm up on all this stuff.

Bottom line is my wife actually prefers the look of the BGE - doesn't like the legs of the KK - and while she's OK with spending this kind of money on a cooker not sure she'd be up for more.

Really at this point I am waiting on the big guy in Surabaya to come through with a price for one of the two classics he has in stock. Also have wondered about asking for a legless Classic. I do lots of woodwork so no trouble to build a table for it (which would be my plan with the egg anyway).

Best and thanks for the welcome,

Dave

Your wife has a special taste. Most womenfolk that have seen my KK in action were completly in love with it. Did you tell her, that she can choose the tiles :-)

Anyway, if you should somewhen be close to Aarau you are always welcome (even if you don't buy a KK).

With best regards

Tobias

Re: What a friendly group....

...I do lots of woodwork so no trouble to build a table for it (which would be my plan with the egg anyway).

The concern with having a legless cooker is that it's like a Weeble. You know - Weebles wobble. There would be nothing holding it up. Dennis called it "Humpty Dumpty." :happy8:

Dennis posted a possible solution that he could provide, which was to secure the cooker with four bolts.

http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewt ... light=legs

Of course, the porch platform that the poster suggested wasn't actually a table to stand the cooker in. It was more like an egg cup with the cooker balanced in it. I can see there would be a difference between that a table that supported the upper part of the cooker.

Might still want some way to bolt the cooker to the bottom support of the table.

Yeah I'd have no worries about the thing falling Sanny.

I've built more than a few structures in wood and so far haven't killed anyone. I read that thread as well and sounds like Dennis' design has bolt holes that could be accessed to secure the KK onto some kind of heat resistant platform built onto the base of the table. So stability would be fine.

Thanks for the offer tlinder - perhaps ironically I greatly prefer the textured look to the tiles so a textured black legless classic would be my dream machine.

Dave

Luckily the train systems in Switzerland are a joy to use, I've spent quite a good deal of time in that beautiful country - mostly in Bern but I've flown into Zürich and Geneva (sorry, maybe it's my Teutonic pride but I prefer the former :)).

Thanks for the offer tlinder - perhaps ironically I greatly prefer the textured look to the tiles so a textured black legless classic would be my dream machine.

The man has taste! Well, I like the legs but the textured black is a great choice.