Sesquipedalian

Tiled KK in colder climates

Hey Trish' date=' I've got one of those manly black textured cookers too. And the weather is nicer than where Porkchop lives. :lol::lol:[/quote']

Whiz I knew you were a manly man....that barrel in the avatar doesn't fool me. :eek::D:D You stood the wrath of RJ with dignity and integrity..I salute you.

Do you think Porkchop's BBQ turns just a little bluish during the winter?

Whizzy's had cracks, but he bought it as a "second." The cracks were around the latch, and were a result of careless handling during shipping and customs. They had nothing to do with manufacturing.

LeadDoggy has a mustard (bein kind there) yeller one. And I've not heard that Nugget has cracks. I'm sure he'd not be silent over something like that.

Dennis is probably improving the finish on it, beyond what could be detected by mere mortals. :wink: Wouldn't want a textured to be less fabulous than the tiled, after all! :happy8:

IMG_0265.jpg

Here's mine in a late season ice storm - chuggin' away. I have had it nearly a year and no known weather related problems. I would recommend covering it, just to be sure. If it is in the open (can get wet) and you have freezing weather, I would not take any chances, you simply can't be sure you can keep the water out and freezing water is very powerful.

Here's how mine spent the winter...when it wasn't being used. The KK opened up a whole new season of cooking options not available to the Weber thin-tin. :)

IMG_0066-1.jpg

From my conversation with Dennis, the textured was on hold because of the different materials (refractory vs insulated) used around the internal bands. Because the refractory material expands at a different rate, and it's a harder material used entirely in the band area, cracks in the exterior develop on the textured because of this different expansion rate.

I'm still waiting for Dennis to comment on the actual tile ratings as last time we conversed back on 7/24 he didn't know. Tiles are rated by 4 degres of moisture absorbtion. Non-Vitreous tiles have a water absorbtion rate of 7% or greater (wall tile) and is suitable only in an indoor environment. Semi-Vitreous tiles are rated at more than 3% absorbtion but less than 7%, and this makes them suitable for indoor applications only as well. Vitreous tiles are rated with water absorbtion of less than 3% moisture, but more than 0.5%. Vitreous are refereed to as frost resistant tiles but can not be used in exterior areas where freeze / thaw conditions could cause the tiles to crack. Impervious tiles are tiles that have less than 0.5% moisture absorbtion (think porcelain tile as an example). These tiles are frost proof and can be used in exterior areas, or on the outside of buildings.

My concern about the tiled units is on longevity over time as I'm not certain what is being employed on the KK's.

I also passed on some info regarding grouts, the other point of possible exterior failure. Epoxy grous are strong, highly water resistant, and require no sealing. Silicone rubber grout is water-resistant and elastic, but the silicone properties make them unsuitable for food-handling areas. Dry-set grouts, nonsanded, are suitable for grout joints not exceeding 1/8" in width. Sanded grouts are suitable up to 3"8". Latex additives can be added to make them stronger and more waterproof.

At the time, I suggested to Dennis that the best choice for KK construction would be glass tiles with epoxy grout. I don't believe the glass tiles would add significant, if any, higher cost, although epoxy grout undoubtedly would.

For one, glass is completely non-porous and will take ZERO moisture, and through-body colored glass tiles are acid, alkali, and chemical resistant and will not fade over time, unlike glazed porcelain. They also will not stain. It does not decay or deteriorate with exposure to the elements. Glass tile is hygenic, non-allergenic, and will not support the growth of mildew, mold, or bacteria. It is frequently being used now in swimming pool construction.

Epoxy grouts are becoming popular with the use of glass because many of them have a chemical composition that resists stains and breakdown. They are non-porous and non-absorbant, thus elminating all maintenance concerns regarding moisture. When mixed with antimicrobial products, they even inhibit the growth of mold or mildew, which is a commmon occurance in regular cement grout. It also results in a stronger product.

Anyway, those two options to me would make the KK the best cooker and relieve the biggest concerns over time with the cookers. As I said, the glass tiles should not add to the cost significantly as I found them priced on the web as low as $1.75 per 1.15 square feet (less than $100 in material cost for tile per KK). Epoxy grout does run higher but will save purchasers the additional cost in reduced maintanence, cleaning, and sealent over their years with their cooker.

Just my suggestions / concerns regarding current materials and the unknown ratings on presently used tiles.

Silicone rubber grout is water-resistant and elastic' date=' but the silicone properties make them unsuitable for food-handling areas.[/quote']

Can you elaborate on this?? I am confused, as silicone utensils and bakeware are commonplace?

Sure, there is some silicone products rated as food safe, and some that is not. Silicone rubber grout typically falls into the latter and it's use is constrained to bathrooms, not kitchens or food prep areas. There are, of course, food safe liquid silicone grout sealers on the market and we're all aware of the current influx of silicone utinsels.

However, just like tiles, all silicone is not created equal.

I dont think most tiles are going to be affected by water to much extent.

my parents have quarry tile over their concrete stoop on their front vestibule

they live in chicago and this get snowed/rained on all the time.

been 24 years, the only crack is with one tile and its due to settling

and its not even an epoxy grout

just a sanded grout with additive(probably latex)

This website seems to contain very similar information as mentioned above. http://www.floorfacts.com/flooring-guid ... itions.htm

But then when you look at the definition of glazed tile, you get this information.

Glazed – The most common style today in floor and wall tiles, as well as for residential and commercial applications. A liquid glass is applied to the body of the tile and fired at high temperatures. The glazing becomes hard and non-porous resulting in a flooring that is:

Stain Resistant

Scratch Resistant

Fire Resistant

Doesn’t Fade from Sun Light

Slip Resistant

Easy to Clean

So I imagine as long as you keep your grout sealed or use waterproof grout, there would be little issue of water absorption.

I know for a fact, there are some of the other tiled grills in very cold climates (and some of these) and never heard of a tile cracking. So I think there is nothing to worry about with the glazed tiles being used.

As for grouts, my money is on silicone grouts. Epoxy based grouts are very hard. This grill has to be allowed to expand and contract with hot/cold cycling, no way around it. If you use a very hard grout, the next weakest area is going to have trouble. So a grout that is water resistant and flexes fits the bill way better.

-=Jasen=-