gerard

Stainless steel quality

Once again.. Common sense solution..

authoritatively dismiss the notion of a stainless assembly as being very prone to seizing:

http://www.kamado.com/discus/messages/3 ... #POST45184

Assuming they know squat.. is your unit not prone to SS on SS seizing (if such a thing exists)? Or are yours exempt from this phenomenon because they are machined with such robust deep wide threads? Or are those folks full of hot air?

Mine are machined so that they are a bit loose when cold and tighten up when heated/hot.. They actually have enough play in them that they jiggle quite a bit when at room temperature.. Once again.. Common sense solution..

Precise? I'm sorry I never thought of the damper top as part of my calibrated airflow control system... but then again the top has a 10" diameter.. Just a lil turn at the outside is a micro adjustment at the shaft.. I don't think anyone wants to have to turn it many, many times to open it up or close it quickly...

The only problem is that when they are brand new sometimes they turn by themselves and slowly close from gravity :wink:

As they get gunked up a bit they become perfect :lol:

Re: Once again.. Common sense solution..

Precise? I'm sorry I never thought of the damper top as part of my calibrated airflow control system...

Maybe I should have chosen a different word to describe, but the threads are course, which means less turns to move it up and down - exactly like you said. And while I agree that it is not part of a calibrated airflow system, does it not provide precise temperature control along with the lower airflow feature? Or is the low airflow control feature used solely for minor temp adjustments? Just asking for my own info as I don't know - not trying to be facetious about it in any way (hard to type things and still express intent without it being taken the wrong way). :oops:

-=Jasen=-

Guess I was having a Gerard day - hehe. :wink:

Gerard,

The guys on the K forum know their stuff...remember you were one of them at one time. Yes, they are nice folks, just a few bad apples (Gecko for one) who probably invested to much into RJ. Hey, but they think we are the bad apples over here too. :lol:

As we've said, it's all about the bad CS, nothing more.

Re: Once again.. Common sense solution..

- not trying to be facetious about it in any way (damn it is hard to type things and still express intent without it being taken the wrong way). :oops:

-=Jasen=-

Guess I was having a Gerard day - hehe. :wink:

Jasen, maybe it was I who wrote and was misunderstood... When I said Precise.. I was not upset or being sarcastic...

It's just that it's so easy to turn the top just a lil bit when you’re using a 10" diameter knob... Micro adjustments are easy...

So I'll not beat around the bush here.. the machined stainless shaft works beautifully and requires no maintenance... Nuf said end of post :lol: