paul1927

Extreme Heat Cooking with the Q . . . it really works . . .

Other extreme heat dishes???

Because of the high temps the Q can reach I was looking for dishes that require extreme heat. Here is a link that I came across:

http://www.chefmarc.com/videos/ .

I found his videos very entertaining, but it took a while for me to receive his book. Anyhow, I tried chicken breast at around 700 to 800 degrees about 5 minutes per side. My father who never liked white chicken meat loved it when cooked like this. It was so tender and had a nice smokey flavor-----I used lychee wood which I have since learned is a no no because it gets real hot real fast.

Anyhow, I just finished cooking some dark meat chicken for something absurd like 6 hours + at around 200 degrees and that came out excellent----extreme heat didn't work as well with dark meat so I thought I'd try the long and slow approach. It definitely worked. :)

Low & Slow

The Jamisons have a great BBQ Book all about "Smoking & Spice" which is BBQ at 220*. First edition was around 1994, updated is 2003. They have great recipe for smoking hamburgers at 220*, which I have done and my wife says its the only way to cook hamburgers for her.

Re: Extreme Heat Cooking with the Q . . . it really works .

Other extreme heat dishes???

Because of the high temps the Q can reach I was looking for dishes that require extreme heat. Here is a link that I came across:

http://www.chefmarc.com/videos/ .

I found his videos very entertaining, but it took a while for me to receive his book. Anyhow, I tried chicken breast at around 700 to 800 degrees about 5 minutes per side. My father who never liked white chicken meat loved it when cooked like this. It was so tender and had a nice smokey flavor-----I used lychee wood which I have since learned is a no no because it gets real hot real fast.

Anyhow, I just finished cooking some dark meat chicken for something absurd like 6 hours + at around 200 degrees and that came out excellent----extreme heat didn't work as well with dark meat so I thought I'd try the long and slow approach. It definitely worked. :)

I've cooked steaks, pork chops, burgers, salmon...lots of stuff at high temps...love it that way.

Re: Low & Slow

The Jamisons have a great BBQ Book all about "Smoking & Spice" which is BBQ at 220*. First edition was around 1994' date=' updated is 2003. They have great recipe for smoking hanburgers at 220*, which I have done and my wife says its the only way to cook hamburgers for her.[/quote']

Sounds interesting and strange! Seems like that is going to be one long cook. I've been cooking the hamburger around 600 degrees about 5 minutes per side. I like them medium rare and they're large. 8)

Low & Slow

I used apple wood in a neat small cast iron smoke pot from BBQ Delight. It is just the right size for the KK. You can stop the smoke cook at a shorter time and get a rare hamburger. However I have found that with this 220* smoking approach the HB is just as juicy as a rare one.

BBQ delight uses wood pellets, but I just cut my apple chunks into smaller sizes and they worked just great.

www.gardenluminary.com sells the pot alone or with a package of 4 bags of pellets cheaper than BBQ Delight.

Smoke & Spice by Jaminsons is totally about smoking on your BBQ at 220*.

They have sold over 750,000 copies.

Ditto on Paul Kirks book, it is a great book. I have been using it long before I got a KK. Not only does it have great rub recipes but mops and marinades as well. Before the KK I had an offset BBQ, so marinades and especially mops were important as it is not anywhere near airtight like the KK. Anyways I felt I had to recommend the book, it think its a must have for a BBQ'ER.