Saucier

Well CRAP!

Last weekend, I decided to give ribs a whirl. I dialed up the KK & Guru to 250, and put in two racks trimmed St Louis style (with appropriate rub of course).

I have heeded the advice of not opening the KK until the end, and it has paid off thus far.. But this time. .. I opened it up and the ribs were over done for sure. However what happeded was that the pit probe for the Guru had popped off the grill where I had clipped it, and flipped itself over onto the top of the ribs, so the Guru had been cranking up the temp until the ribs were that hot.

I don't think they would have been edible in anything but the KK. The ends were not really edible, but the rest were still good, and had a nice bark on them.

So a lesson learned!! And Dammit if I didn't have to buy another couple of racks to try it out again today! I HATE it when that happens!! :)

Saucy,

Sorry to hear that. I think the key is to keep the looking to a minimum. I don't know that it is prudent (and you found out) to NEVER take a peak....

I was afraid I would be looking all the time, like I did with the Weber ('cause ya never really knew :( ) but I have shown great restraint!

Was the Guru cranking the whole time? Didn't your dome temp get pretty high? Seems like there may have been some signs that something was wrong. When mine gets stabilized in the low 200's the fan only puffs a split second every half minute or so.

Dome temp

Well, I wasn't yet in posession of a thermometer for the dome (have one now) so I didn't know the dome temp.. And after reading some rib posts where folks were saying they will look done, but just leave em on... I didn't see a need to check it I reckon.

Like I say, it was really more of an pita then anthing else, the most if it was still just fine.

I will steal an occasional peek today!

I think another batch of the raspberry chipotle sauce is in order too!

Not sure exactly how what happened to occurred, but one tip is where you are clipping the pit probe. I want the least amount of wires inside my grill, so the pit probe gets clipped just through the polder port hole, several inches in (that will give you a reasonable average temperature of your main surface). This way, if it did come unclipped, the situation that happened to you could not happen.

Also, cooking ribs, I never use the meat probe as ribs are just too thin to be accurate temps (don't know if you used it, just mentioning). I check every so often (and I flip mine). I do not use the bone twisting in the joint method (to me, they are over cooked at this point). When you can bend at a larger rib joint and they just start to break apart, then it is perfect (btw, I don't actually snap them apart, just test).

-=Jasen=-

FYI Porkchop, I have never had that happen and I use the Guru often.

Alrighty then!

Well, yesterday I did some St Louies, and put the ribs on the bottom rack, and the trimmings and a 5 lb sirloin roast on the top rack.

Pit set to 225, actual temp about 230 or so. In three hours my sirloin roast was @ 140, I pulled it off, as well as the top rack trimmings which looked done.

I left the ribs on for two more hours, then foil wrapped em, put em in paper bags and set them in the oven (not on or heated) for an hour before service.

I have fixed hundreds of racks of ribs over the years, and had some great ribs @ the world rib contest in Sparks Nevada.. These were better than any of I have ever had.

I used one of the rubs in Kirk's book, I think it was called "The old mill" or something like that.

But the texture, smoke content, and moist / tender factor were off the graph! My guienna pigs were loosening their belts and hollerin for more! LOL.

I am a happy camper now!

And Dub you are right... practice does in fact make perfect. And I intend to keep practicing for 40 years more or so :)

Hey everyone. It's been a Loooonnngg time since I posted but I've been Kamadoing (new verb) like crazy.

I have become renown for my ribs over the past year and here's the not so big secret.

Use baby backs only.

Season however you like.

Get the temp stabilized at 200-225.

Put the ribs on.

DON'T TOUCH FOR SIX HOURS!

No gadgets or gurus. I only use the probe for briskets, butt's, cats....

Check it all you want but do not open. Micro adjust the vent / damper for temp but don't open. No guru needed and honestly using natural charcoal the temp fluctuation has never spiked more than 5 degrees.

Missed you but I was cooking and eating. 8)

It's KOmodoing!

Hey everyone. It's been a Loooonnngg time since I posted but I've been Kamadoing (new verb) like crazy.

Missed you but I was cooking and eating. 8)

We've missed you too..

If your going to introduce anew verb, please spell it correctly as not to confuse people.

It's KOmodoing!

Welcome back..