Firemonkey

Feature idea

Let me qualify this idea by saying that I have NOT planted my cheek to the ground and had a look at how the KK wheels are attached. ;)

I was cooking a pot roast on the KK today, and while doing so the liquid in the pan reminded me of how much my KK slopes to the rear. There isnt much I can do about it, since its on a patio, and the whole patio slopes away from the house for drainage.

I was thinking of how cool it would be if there were adjustment nuts on the wheels of the KK so you could adjust the wheel height by maybe up to an inch or inch and a half on each. Since all patios should be sloped to allow for proper drainage, and others may have uneven surfaces (like pavers or cobblestone) that they park their grill on, it could be a valuable improvement.

FM,

Sounds like it could be a great help in some cases, however, I suspect that the kind of weight being supported it would be beyond the task of most adjustable casters. You would be putting a huge lateral load on the adjusting bolt (typical adjustable caster) when the grill was moved. :shock:

Perhaps there are some real heavy duty adjust-ables out there...... :roll:

Hey FM,

Have you tried one of those rubber/plastic gizmos that go under furniture feet to protect hardwood floors? they come in a variety of sizes, shapes, thicknesses and colors (including clear), and you could just roll the wheel up into one.

A 1.5-2" round one would probably be perfect for the job.

I haven't done anything to try and level it off, its probably only sloping an inch or less to the rear.

I was thinking that using some casters similar to these would be a nice improvement. These particular ones would also make the grill more stable, since it could be lifted off the casters when installed. The various models go up to 1000 pounds capacity.

http://www.atlascasters.com/index.php/LCO

They are not nuts, they are aluminum spacers. Technically, an Old Man Emu "transfer case lowering kit" that came with the lift for my Jeep.

Lifting the Jeep, only to turn around and lower the t-case (and give back some ground clearance you just bought with a lift) seemed counter-intuitive. I opted to raise the engine with taller mounts instead. Same effect, 1 inch higher engine is equivalent to the 1" lower t-case, so my drive shaft angles are still correct.

That extra inch of center clearance will be important when I run you over for making veiled shaft-envy comments :twisted: