Fetzervalve

OTB Main grill vs K7 main

There has been some speculation about the capacity of a K7 vs an OTB shape. Here is a cardboard circle 22.5" diameter (that's the size I was told by a K7 owner) representing the 7's main grille under an OTB main grill. Looks like capacity is certainly no reason get a 7, I guess you may be able to fit 3 more ATB's on there. :)

IMG_0623.jpg

10135_160735729975_588449975_3641388_6985345_n.jpg

As I've said elsewhere, your source exaggerated the K7 diameter by about an inch.

Above is a trace of the grills for the K7 and the KK, on the top of my KK shipping crate. I've shaded the differences. On the lower plank, the KK bulges out; the shaded area is the extra area on the KK grill. On the upper plank, the KK cuts in, ending in a flat back; the shaded area is the extra area on the K7 grill.

These nearly cancel out, but the KK in fact offers more, and more usable, surface area. I prefer the KK shape, which looks like someone actually gave it some thought.

Grill Size VS Cooking Space

The KK 23" OTB's actual opening ceramic wall to ceramic wall at lip level is 23". (hence the designation) It's stainless grill became smaller when it was lowered 3" into the tapered body.

It was decided that more area could be used if the meat could be right up against the body. This way you can still close the top without touching the food.

In a POSK #7 with it's (actual) 21.5" grill, the "usable" area is probably only about 20-20.5" because you need to have some setback to ensure you're not closing the top on your food. Also on cookers with the grill lip level there is always the chance something can roll off..

In conclusion the size of the grill does not always represent usable cooking space. On a KK you can actually use all of the grills surface and the space above and a bit outside it's edge.

I'd also like to add that the OTB's shape feels ergonomically larger when working on it..

;);)

Show of hands.... Who has a cooker by Another Manufacturer, and has loaded the rack only to find that the lid won't close? The taper of the lid means that taller food (say a full cooker of ribs on edge, out to the sides of the cooker, perhaps around a butt or two) bangs the lid. :mad:

:::showing hands:::

10135_160735739975_588449975_3641390_5423560_n.jpg

Show of hands....

:supz::smt038:toothy7::supz::smt038:toothy7::supz::smt038:toothy7::supz::smt038:toothy7::supz::smt038

:supz::smt038:toothy7::supz::smt038:toothy7::supz::smt038:toothy7::supz::smt038:toothy7::supz::smt038

Yeah, the side-by-side photo makes this point pretty clearly. There's room straight up over all points on the main grill, which is set a few inches down from where the cooker opens.

Laurie really likes that the new cooker is bigger, yet doesn't sit so high off the ground. It looks more grounded, less imposing, fits in better with the yard.

Show of hands.... Who has a cooker by Another Manufacturer, and has loaded the rack only to find that the lid won't close? The taper of the lid means that taller food (say a full cooker of ribs on edge, out to the sides of the cooker, perhaps around a butt or two) bangs the lid. :mad:

:::showing hands:::

My hand is raised