JoeNY

Buying a guru...

Joe,

Tell them what you are putting it on, they have an inducer tube for the side of the cooker, after that, a 10cfm fan and whatever controller you want. Most get the competitor, but a few have the ProCom (read big $$), both get the job done, the ProCom gives you wireless control.

Oh yea, they just intro'd a new model (DigiQ II) that's real cool, I'd get it or the ProCom if I had the dough.

BTW, don't think of it as cheating, it's insurance and peace of mind! :D

I'm not a purist like Porkchop, besides I like to sleep. If someone starts giving me free meat I might be more inclined go manual, until then, it's Guru city for me! Just for the record, I have gone Guru free a couple of low and slows.... great food no doubt, but I prefer automation. :smt026

Re: Thanks Fetzervalve.

You can call him Tator if you like...sounds like ya'll have become friends :D

I thought he was a Secret Agent. Is Tator a secret agent name?

There's a "facilitator" here at work. I call her "Tator." Don't know what she does. How does one facilitate? Sounds like a spud job.

Re: Buying a guru...

I'm thinking about purchasing a guru for overnight cooks, even though it seems like cheating a bit. Is there a particular model or accessory package I need to buy to make sure it works with my KK?

Thanks.

Joe

Joe, I agree with what Fetz says. If money is no object on the Guru purchase, the ProCom is a sweet machine (many more features than just a remote - advanced adjustments). I have a sneaky feeling there might be a new model around the corner though. The other non-remote choice would be the new DigiQ II they offer - very nice. I also suggest the 10 cfm fan and short induces tube.

-=Jasen=-

Just ordered a Digi ll they said they do not have the polder plugs available ( FYI )also on the Inducer tube---he said they had the one with the threads or the one without. they are both 4 1/2 in in length---I opted for no threads. I am assuming this is the one I can adjust flush with the outside of my Komado and seal with High temp silicone--as Jason did---hope this is correct---- Jason if you have a pic avail. of your setup on the forum could you lead me to it-----Thanks

Just ordered a Digi ll they said they do not have the polder plugs available ( FYI )also on the Inducer tube---he said they had the one with the threads or the one without. they are both 4 1/2 in in length---I opted for no threads. I am assuming this is the one I can adjust flush with the outside of my Komado and seal with High temp silicone--as Jason did---hope this is correct---- Jason if you have a pic avail. of your setup on the forum could you lead me to it-----Thanks

Here is what my Guru port looks like.

dscn1081mediumwi3.jpg

What you purchased will work fine. In the past, if you talked to Bob or Fred, they would sell you a shorter version for $15. But you can either cut it down or even easier just let the excess stick out on the inside. I just used some high temp black silicone from the auto store to put it in place and it has held ever since. Only downside is you need to wait 24 hours before using your KK.

It looks like the Weber Smoky Mountain adapter would also be fine, just leave off the inside deflector piece.

-=Jasen=-

Thanks Jason

That setup looks great--nice and clean. When I was talking to Bob ( ? ) he didn't seem to know about a shorter Inducer--that's why I was a little confused. I think I'm set---again thanks so much for all your help :D

I will try to contact him one day this week and see if maybe they can solve the issue.

-=Jasen=-

Thanks Jason

That setup looks great--nice and clean. When I was talking to Bob ( ? ) he didn't seem to know about a shorter Inducer--that's why I was a little confused. I think I'm set---again thanks so much for all your help :D

I will try to contact him one day this week and see if maybe they can solve the issue.

-=Jasen=-

Got in touch with Bob this week about having an inducer tube specifically for the KomodoKamado. It has been a big question around here for quite some time, and having one for the KK would make the decision so much easier. Said he would work on it and try to get it added to their web site. I recommended a 1-1/2" straight tube that you can silicone in place (did ask for some grooves around its circumference for better adhesion...if practical). That size fits easily within the existing port from Dennis and leaves a bit of room at the back. That way you can build up silicone (at the rear of the port) to the lip of the inducer tube for more back support when pushing in the fan.

They still have the 4" bulkhead available for anyone not wishing to silicone. So we will see.

Here is a pic of the one I used.

dscn0969mediumxb9.jpg

-=Jasen=-