ThreeDJ16

Turkey Breast

Well, decided I would do a test run on my smoked turkey recipe before Thanksgiving. So I decided to cook a fresh 1/2 turkey breast from Publix. I brined 8 hrs in a mixture of 1/2 gallon water, 1/2 cup kosher salt, 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1 tsp of each of the following - rosemary, sage, oregano, marjoram, thyme, garlic & black pepper (boiled and cooled brine ahead of time). Dusted with a little Cajun season just before placing skin side down on smoker. Smoked somewhere in the 2 1/2-3 hrs range (red wine was flowing) at 250 degrees. When Guru meat probe indicated 165, I turned off the fan and let it sit on KK till it hit 170, then rested inside on butcher's block for 10 minutes. Below are the results and I think the juice flowing out should put to rest any thoughts of poultry at 170 has to be dry. My wife commented on how this was the most juicy turkey she had ever eaten (including my fried version).

-=Jasen=-

dscn1443mediumax8.jpg

dscn1447mediumcr8.jpg

• Like 1

Does seasoning the brine with "non solubles" make a difference?

If I understand brining, it draws moisture out, then sends moisture back in, taking with it anything dissolved in the liquid (sugar, salt). But I cannot think that non-solubles would make it back into the meat that way. Wouldn't they stay on the outside? And wouldn't they be more effective, then, as a rub?

Thinking out loud...

Almost everything has a soluble component, especially when boiled. Some of the less salty ingredients like rosemary probably still add a bit of an essence, but you're right in that the flavor wouldn't be as strong as adding some to the outside.

Oh yeah, it looks great, Deej!

I started doing the brine method a few years back and will never go back. I do put rosemary [ among other things ] from our herb garden into the brine and the flavor is all though the meat right to the bone. I never had the same result by putting it in a rub. Also i never baste, it just runs off the skin back into the pan and your letting heat out. The turkey is always moist and that's do to the brine. Everyone has there own way off cooking turkey, this works best for me. However you cook it it's turkey and that's always good.

If I understand brining, it draws moisture out, then sends moisture back in, taking with it anything dissolved in the liquid (sugar, salt). But I cannot think that non-solubles would make it back into the meat that way. Wouldn't they stay on the outside? And wouldn't they be more effective, then, as a rub?

Thinking out loud...

That was the the purpose in boiling the brine first (to make it more water soluble). But I agree, not nearly as much flavor would cross through as with injecting, but it does get through. My issue with injecting and with a rub on poultry is inconsistency (though I still use them sometimes). I don't care how good you are with a needle or how much you rub you put on, the flavor will have strong pockets here and there. The brine is very consistent throughout.

BTW, brining is supposed to work via osmosis. The higher specific gravity liquid (heavier / more dense) being on the outside and lower SP/G on the inside. So waters natural tendency to reach equilibrium forces the higher SP/G liquid across the meat's semi-permeable membrane till both liquids equalize. Also another reason why brining meats already injected with a sodium solution does not work so well (unless you make it even heavier - more salt and sugar).

-=Jasen=-

Buzzard bosom...

I bought a "minimally processed" turkey breast last evening on the way home from work. Boiled the brine (salt, sugar, rosemary fresh snipped, and a squirt of chili oil) and let it cool. The bird will take a bath tonight, get a rub down and go in the cooker tomorrow.

I haven't figured out the difficulty with the gas burner (not a KK product), so I'll just start the lump with those snap stick fire starters. It's that season again, so boxes of them are available all around. Probably just tank is almost empty. It's possible, I guess. But it still feels heavy.

Are you talking about kosher salt or regular salt? I tried a recipe where it was not differentiated and I used regular salt. It ruined the chicken.

Mine distinguished. I think Deej usually uses Kosher for his Q.

Remember that 1 cup table salt = 1 1/2 cups Morton's Kosher Salt = 2 cups Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt.

We hate ruined chicken. :mad:

According to the instructions I read, a stronger brine is for a shorter soak.

"The amount of salt used in each brine does not change with turkey size. If you’re roasting a kosher or self-basting turkey, do not brine it; it already contains a good amount of sodium. "

"Dissolve 1 cup salt per gallon cold water for 4- to 6-hour brine or 1/2 cup salt per gallon cold water for 12- to 14-hour brine in large stockpot or clean bucket."

This recipe calls for table salt, not kosher. And it's for a whole bird.

My efforts...

I did a turkey breast today. Deej inspired me! :happy8:

Brine of kosher salt, brown sugar, fresh rosemary branches, tsp of chili oil. Simmered and cooled. Whole breast, 8 hours.

Rinsed and air dried in frigerator overnight. Dizzy Dust rub. 275 for 2.5-3 hours. Hickory chunks.

And roasted cauliflower. Yellow by nature. Cut into florets, drizzled with olive oil, salted and peppered. On the grill next to the turkey for the last 45 mins or so. Very yummy! No cheese sauce required. lol

I'll let you know how the turkey tastes, later. :spin:

(time passes)

It's later. That might be the best turkey breast I've ever eaten. Juicy as a peach, and so flavorful! :) The dizzy dust is mostly on the skin, and that's fine. Plenty of flavor in the meat from the brine and smoke. Don't know if I'd bother with the rub next time. Dunno... But wow! :cheer:

aV1aYzTJ.jpg

Very nice

I was going to say your breast looked outstanding, but somehow it didn't seem to work out... So strike that and lets go with,

Gee! That is GREAT looking turkey you cooked up!

I couldn't find much turkey in these parts, so this weekend I brined up 2 whole chickens and did them, 250 3 hours (5.25 lb chicks)

2 racks of ribs... 235 for 5 hrs

1 whole beef tenderloin 250 for 1.5 hours to 125 internal.

All came out great!

Re: Very nice

I was going to say your breast looked outstanding, but somehow it didn't seem to work out... So strike that and lets go with,

Gee! That is GREAT looking turkey you cooked up!

Ah, but you were right the first time. :wink:

I couldn't find much turkey in these parts, so this weekend I brined up 2 whole chickens and did them, 250 3 hours (5.25 lb chicks)

2 racks of ribs... 235 for 5 hrs

1 whole beef tenderloin 250 for 1.5 hours to 125 internal.

All came out great!

Imaginary food again, Saucy? lol

Sounds wonderful, even without pics. :spin:

I did a rib eye and a thick cut porkchop after the turkey and cauliflower. They were looking mutinous in the freezer, so I figured I should rescue them. Lunches this week are lookin good for sure! :happy8: