ThreeDJ16

Turkey Breast

only concern i would have is using iodized salt. if not kosher salt, use "plain" salt. that's what i use for my rubs as well. my "basic" brine is 1 gal. dihydrogen monoxide, 1 c. plain salt, 1 c. white sugar. as i understand it, the osmosis action of the brine doesn't depend just on the salt, but sugar as well, so, this would be a pretty strong brine, just not crazy salty. add other spices and herbs and boil it up. brining also has to happen at a relatively cold temp, like 35, or the whole thing buggers up, not to mention that it drifts up into the "danger zone", which poulty defo doesn't need to be!

i love using those cheapo styro coolers for this task. long as its clean, you toss in your turkey, dump your ICE COLD supersaturated brine over the top, and let er soak. probably not good for overnite, but a good 6 hours or so, you bet. long as everything goes in cold, you'll be set for quite a while.

course, a good walk-in would solve that worry. :D

Around Halloween dry ice works too!

brining also has to happen at a relatively cold temp, like 35, or the whole thing buggers up, not to mention that it drifts up into the "danger zone", which poulty defo doesn't need to be!

i love using those cheapo styro coolers for this task. long as its clean, you toss in your turkey, dump your ICE COLD supersaturated brine over the top, and let er soak. probably not good for overnite, but a good 6 hours or so, you bet. long as everything goes in cold, you'll be set for quite a while.

You can also keep the temps low or drop the temp in your brine with lots of ice cubes in ziplock bags dropped in..

Around Halloween dry ice works too!

:eek::eek:

Getting abreast of the whaddyacallsitumanation

After seeing the beautiful breasteses here. I had to try it.

Bought a whole breast, split it, doubled the brine recipe. I brined for about 16 hours, because that is how my schedule panned out.

250 for about 4 hours to get to 170 internal.

turkey1fu3.jpg

Then cut out the bone, and sliced on the diagonal.

turkey2tk1.jpg

The wife and I gnawed on the two bones which was great, and then had a slice just to live it up :)

Very good recipe DJ!