DennisLinkletter

First Pizza

Next try

Dennis: Did you use the heat deflector when you cooked your pizza?

Yes, I did use the heat deflector...

But I think I want to try with out it as I put the stone on the upper sear grill and the cheese on top was done before the dough was browned underneath..

This time I started with the same dough but at room temp and is was just a little better.. This stuff was just springy.. I added lots of flour to it and in it's more dry state I was able to roll out thinner crusts but it still slowly shrunk back up. Gotta get one of those wood pizza scoopers as I used cardboard and getting it off with out the topping all rolling off was a nightmare..

Tasted great.. even the crust!

Pizza2ndtry.jpg

Thanks everybody for all your tips..

Re: Next try

Dennis: Did you use the heat deflector when you cooked your pizza?

Yes, I did use the heat deflector...

But I think I want to try with out it as I put the stone on the upper sear grill and the cheese on top was done before the dough was browned underneath..

This time I started with the same dough but at room temp and is was just a little better.. This stuff was just springy.. I added lots of flour to it and in it's more dry state I was able to roll out thinner crusts but it still slowly shrunk back up. Gotta get one of those wood pizza scoopers as I used cardboard and getting it off with out the topping all rolling off was a nightmare..

Tasted great.. even the crust!

Pizza2ndtry.jpg

I got a Super Peel last week www.superpeel.com haven't used mine yet but i heard great things about it. If it works as well as in there web video it should make pizza or bread moving a breeze

How long did you heat soak? I suspect that's your problem.

Gotta get one of those wood pizza scoopers as I used cardboard and getting it off with out the topping all rolling off was a nightmare..
Try some corn meal on the cardboard :shock: or parchment paper - works wonders, just slide the paper and pie onto the stone. If you prefer after a minute or two you can yank the paper out from under the pizza, but no problem just leaving it for the duration, makes it easy to remove also.

Pizza is supposed to be round, isn't it? hehe :lol: Also, no green stuff on my pizza, just lots of pepperoni!

-=Jasen=-

It started out round but took on this shape when I not so efficiently slid/pushed it off the lubed with flour cardboard paddle..

The garden fresh basil was uniform too.. and a great addition.

DJ..Think flavor not green vegi.

But as I said, it tasted great

The stone was heat soaked about 10 minutes.. maybe best to heat soak it before going indirect..

:eek:

Stabilize the temp pf the grill, and let it soak at that temp for 30 minutes while you build the pizza, then put it on the grill. You may need to choke it back some after you add the pizza if the top is getting too dark.

I have found there is a sweet spot in balance between temps and soak times that is the difference between the top burning and crust not browning, or the reverse (burned crust white top).

How long was your cook time for the top to brown like that? You may have been too hot, so longer soaking would just make the bottom of your crust get too brown. With hand tossed crust, I find 475-500ish to give the most uniform cooking, depending on how thick my pizza is.

The stone was heat soaked about 10 minutes.. maybe best to heat soak it before going indirect..

:eek:

I usually have the stone on the whole time -(from fire up), and heat soak the works for 30 to 45 mins. At temps around 700 you can cook a perfect product (top and bottom) in around 5 mins. Recovery in that temp area is also as fast as I can carry it inside and load the peel with the next one. *(I am using a Fibrament stone)

right on fetz. i do a thin crust when i do za on the kk. 650-700, heat soaked about 1/2 hr. my pies finish in about 3-4 minutes, perfect. but, i am a pizza wuss, and use a rolling pin to get my thin crust. i haven't done the more traditional "hand tossed" on the kk, as i prefer extremes; either thin thin thin, or stuffed chi-town style!

anyhow, defo make your own dough dennis! instead of getting dough from the bakery, just get some yeast. they must be using a hi-protein flour and kneading the heck out of it. a well-rested dough will not spring back on you. it'll spread like butter. if you can, get a pizza peel too. sprinkle the peel with corn meal, roll your dough, put it on the peel, and then top it while it's on the peel. it should slide right off when you go to put it in the kk.

i DARE you to put bugs on the next pie!

Bugs on pizza.. yuck!

How long was your cook time for the top to brown like that? You may have been too hot, so longer soaking would just make the bottom of your crust get too brown. With hand tossed crust, I find 475-500ish to give the most uniform cooking, depending on how thick my pizza is.

It was mid 600's and climbing when I open to load the pizza..

I think it was in the 6-7 minute area..

I've got a friend bringing me some yeast from Bali..

PC.. Bugs on pizza.. yuck!

But those bamboo worms...

Your on..

:eek::eek:

olive oil in pizza crust

Cook's Illustrated article about pizza on the grill had "complaints" about wanting a cracker-thin crust, but not being able to get the texture of the dough right. It wouldn't stretch, and then when it did, it ripped. The testers found that adding olive oil to the dough made all the difference.

I deleted the topping information - you guys are all pros and don't need no stinkin topping recipe!

Pizzas For Charcoal Grill

The pizzas cook very quickly on the grill, so before you begin grilling them, be sure to have all the equipment and ingredients you need at hand. Equipment includes a pizza peel (or a rimless baking sheet), a pair of tongs, a paring knife, a large cutting board, and a pastry brush; ingredients include all the toppings and a small bowl of flour for dusting. Timing and coordination are crucial; if you are unsure of your skill level, try cooking the first two pizzas one at a time, then work up to cooking the final two in tandem. The pizzas are best served hot off the grill but can be kept warm for 20 to 30 minutes on a wire rack in a 200-degree oven. Hardwood charcoal and charcoal briquettes work equally well. Whichever you use, it is important that the coals be spread in an even layer over three-quarters of the grill bottom; coals placed any higher will scorch the crust.

Makes four 9-inch pizzas

Dough

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

1 cup water (8 ounces), room temperature

2 cups bread flour (11 ounces), plus more for work surface

1 tablespoon whole wheat flour (optional)

2 teaspoons sugar

1 1/4 teaspoons table salt

1 teaspoon instant yeast

1. FOR THE CRUST: Combine oil and water in liquid measuring cup. In food processor fitted with plastic dough blade or metal blade, process bread flour, whole wheat flour, sugar, salt, and yeast until combined, about 5 seconds. With machine running, slowly add liquid through feed tube; continue to process until dough forms tacky, elastic ball that clears sides of workbowl, about 1 1/2 minutes. If dough ball does not form, add more flour 1 tablespoon at a time and process until dough ball forms. Spray medium bowl lightly with nonstick cooking spray or rub lightly with oil. Transfer dough to bowl and press down to flatten surface; cover tightly with plastic wrap and set in draft-free spot until doubled in volume, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

2. When dough has doubled, press down gently to deflate; turn dough out onto work surface and divide into 4 equal-sized pieces. With cupped palm, form each piece into smooth, tight ball. Set dough balls on well-floured work surface. Press dough rounds with hand to flatten; cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest about 15 minutes.

4. Gently stretch dough rounds into disks about 1/2 inch thick and 5 to 6 inches in diameter. Working one piece at a time and keeping the rest covered, roll out each disk to 1/8-inch thickness, 9 to 10 inches in diameter, on well-floured sheet of parchment paper, dusting with additional flour as needed to prevent sticking. (If dough shrinks when rolled out, cover with plastic wrap and let rest until relaxed, 10 to 15 minutes.) Dust surface of rolled dough with flour and set aside. Repeat with remaining dough, stacking sheets of rolled dough on top of each other (with parchment in between) and covering stack with plastic wrap; set aside until grill is ready.

5. TO GRILL: Ignite 6 quarts (1 large chimney) hardwood charcoal or briquettes in chimney starter and burn until fully ignited, 15 to 20 minutes. Empty coals into grill and spread into even layer over three-quarters of grill, leaving one quadrant free of coals. Position cooking grate over coals and heat until grill is medium-hot, about 5 minutes (you can hold your hand 5 inches above grill grate for 4 seconds); scrape grate clean with grill brush.

6. Lightly flour pizza peel; invert 1 dough round onto peel, gently stretching it as needed to retain shape (do not stretch dough too thin; thin spots will burn quickly). Peel off and discard parchment; carefully slide round onto hot side of grill. Immediately repeat with another dough round. Cook until tops are covered with bubbles (pierce larger bubbles with paring knife) and bottoms are grill marked and charred in spots, 1 to 2 minutes; while rounds cook, check undersides and slide to cool area of grill if browning too quickly. Transfer crusts to cutting board browned sides up. Repeat with 2 remaining dough rounds.

7. Brush 2 crusts generously with Spicy Garlic Oil; top each evenly with one-quarter of cheese mixture and one-quarter of tomatoes. Return pizzas to grill and cover grill with lid; cook until bottoms are well browned and cheese is melted, 2 to 4 minutes, checking bottoms frequently to prevent burning. Transfer pizzas to cutting board; repeat with remaining 2 crusts. Sprinkle pizzas with basil and coarse salt to taste; cut into wedges and serve immediately.

Pizza question

How hot can you safely run a Kamodo/Kamado?

a proper pizza oven (commercial) runs really hot, like 700 degrees, certainly you can make a respectful pizza at home in the oven or on your Kamado at 450, but the top rated pizza restaurants in this country use coal and do whole pies in 2 to 4 minutes in a VERY hot oven. There are a couple that use gas, but those too run their oven at very high temperatures.

Re: Pizza question

How hot can you safely run a Kamodo/Kamado?

a proper pizza oven (commercial) runs really hot, like 700 degrees.

You can safely run a KOmodo at 700-800º. The dense inner refractory material is rated for 2,200º continuously and the outer insulating layer will ensure that you keep that heat in and burn less fuel.

;);)