Bobkat

Almost Turkey Time - So What Temp?

Actually I have been experimenting with some different rubs/pastes and injections....trying to decide how I will do the Turkey this year. I have found that the easiest way to experiment different Turkey cooks is to buy just the breast (with rib bones) instead of a complete bird. Just the right size for a meal and some sammies later! :)

I might even do a video of the Turkey Day Turkey I prepare...not sure yet. If not a video I will have pics to share.

Living in Seattle, I've made the Morton Thomson turkey many times over the years (It was published in the local paper every year). It's not as much work as it seems, and it does indeed make a totally succulent turkey! Due to the frequent "in and out" moves to repaint the bird, though, I'd do it in the regular oven rather than attempt on the KK.

Mike

I think they cook much quicker in the KK than in the oven - thought its been probably 10 years since I put one in an oven, so maybe its just my perception of time that has changed :o

I think the last whole turkey I cooked in ceramic (ok, actually it was cement :P ) was probably about 20#, and I think it took about 4 hours at 325 -350 or so.

What I would like to know (for future reference) is if anyone has done a low and slow turkey' date=' say220-230 degees?[/quote']

I did a bone in breast at 250 a couple weeks ago. Brined, hickory chunks in the lump. Was wonderful! Even the next day, when I brought some in for lunch at work, a colleague had a nibble and exclaimed loudly about the wonderous flavor and texture. :)

On some previous post somebody suggested that 'low and slow' only dries out a turkey. I'm a big brine fan and had kinda thought that this process would hold moisture in. Sounds like that's how it worked out for you Sanny. Hmmm - so which approach for this weekend's "test" bird? :roll:

On some previous post somebody suggested that 'low and slow' only dries out a turkey. I'm a big brine fan and had kinda thought that this process would hold moisture in. Sounds like that's how it worked out for you Sanny. Hmmm - so which approach for this weekend's "test" bird? :roll:
Well, with a turkey breast, "slow" is relative. It took 3 hours. Not particularly "slow" in the butt or chuck roll sense. But maybe slower than the usual turkey breast.

Slow smoked turkey

For what its worth, I (pre KK days) used to get a 22lb bird, have the butcher saw it in half lengthwise and put one half on each rack of a "bullet" style smoker for 11 hours or so, and let it rest half an hour or so.

Now that was BIKAL (before I knew about lump) so, I was using Kingsford, and hickory chunks.

That cooker had a pan for liquid too, and I would fill er up with distilled H2o, quarted onions, a head or two of garlic, black pepper corns, and a generous supply of bay leaves.

One would have to add a gallon or so of water mid cook, and some more Kingsford of course.

These turkies looked great, and tasted great and there was no dryness to be found.

Also if you let the water get low towards the end, all the juices from the bird (brushed with butter) would mix up with the smoke and carmalize the veggies a little.

You would remove the water pan, get rid of the grease and veggies, then make up a roux and make gravy from whats left....... OOoooooH Man! Smoked turkey gravy w/ giblets!

I had to keep reminding my family / guests that gravy was a condiment, not a BEVERAGE! :evil3: