Tucker

"Marvin the Martian" first cooks

Welll we got Marvin puffing away yesterday!!

:wink: We did a small rack of ribs and two 2# briskets yesterday.

We used just wicked good charcoal for the ribs and used mesquite in a smoke box for the brisket.

I left the ribs on a little long, but the thick parts were excellent, the thinner parts were a little chewy, but very good all in all.

The brisket came out vgood, we wrapped in foil after 4hrs (internal temp=170 degrees F)and left it on for about 1 more hour.

For the first time using charcoal, I would give my efforts a 7, with nothing but high expectations for better results.

We are going to do a turkey(12#) Tues and Pork Butt(8#) Wed. :smt016

Pq18GCtJ.jpg

aV12L10S.jpg

aV12LuXA.jpg

Pq18GWqS.jpg

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:29 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

keep swinging for the fences tucker! nice smoke ring on that brisket! what were your temps set at?

Thanks Porkchop. had it at 220 for both the ribs and brisket.

We changed the schedule a little :roll: , did the butt (8#) yesterday. turned out good, Used applewood chunks and a rub we got from Cuisine at home magazine June 2003 issue (we have used it on the gas grill a few times). Much better flavor and tenderness with the slower cook (8hrs @ 220). Yum. :wink:

All the neighbors who helped unload him got some brisket and pork, we're goin' back at the ribs this weekend, got one of those racks from SouthernSteamers, we're going to get them right this time!

aV1qdwPA.jpg

Hot off the press!!

Pq1dDTgr.jpg

and thats totally what i mean by letting the meat tell you when its done! i'd figure at least 12hrs at that temp for an 8# butt, but hey, when its done, its done! looks wonderful! nothing like that dark mahogany, "meteorite" look!

do you set up for an indirect cook or direct. maybe that's it; i always do indirect.

Indirect or Direct

I set the 13.5" heat deflector on the handles of the charcoal bin and put the drip pan directly on top of the heat deflector, and pulled the butt when internal temp hit 185F, wrapped it in foil, left it on the counter for 1hr, then pulled it.

it is like any sport, practice, practice, practice..... but with this one you gain, not lose weight!