1 cup water

2 tsp light-brown sugar, jaggery or raw sugar

1.5 tsp salt

1 tsp cayenne

1 tsp garam marsala

1/2 tsp ground ginger

6 Tbs chilled unsalted butter

1 cup heavy whipping cream

1/4 cup lightly packed dried fenugreek leaves, or cilantro or any other mild-flavored fresh herb

Pinch freshly grated nutmeg

Sliced almonds, for garnish

1. Starting at least a day before you plan to serve, to allow for the marinating time, prepare the chicken tikka or tandoor (I often make a double batch of the tikka and use the leftovers for butter chicken a day or two later)

2. To prepare butter sauce: While the chicken is roasting, blanch the tomatoes in boiling water for about 1 minute to loosen the skin. Transfer to a bowl of ice water to cool. Peel, core, and chop coarsely. Transfer to a blender and blend to make 4 cups of puree. (You can use 4 cups of canned puree, but I think the fresh tomatoes make ALL the difference to don't' recommend the canned stuff...my $.02)

3. Combine the tomato puree, tomato paste, and water in a heavy large saute pan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the moisture is absorbed and the sauce is very thick, about 25 mins. Add the sugar, salt, cayenne, garam masala, and ginger and mix well. Cut the butter in chunks, add it to the pan, and stir until it just melts into the sauce, about 1 minute. Stir in the cream, Chicken Tikka, and fenugreek leaves. Cover and cook until the flavors blend, 8 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle with a generous grating of nutmeg, stir for a few seconds, and then taste and adjust the seasonings as necessary. Transfer to a heated serving dish, garnish with almonds and serve hot.

Y-U-M :smt004

Actually I was asked to post this recipe, just late in getting it here. We've made it several time and it is now my wife's favorite. Thought of photos, but to be honest it just looks like chicken pieces with tomato sauce over them = boring.

Hey Sanny - if you DO throw in coconut milk...can I have your old avatar? :D